PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way I could be ripped off?

BoosTT
03-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Heres the deal. I found a good to fair deal on a bike out of state. Found cheep shipping and got tons of pictures, videos and history of the bike. There no simular bikes locally (NONE!). The seller is nervious about selling it this way too (good sign to me). I already have all his info, including ebay name with 100% feedback. I have pictures of the vin on the bike to conferm with the title when I receive it first. The guy is selling it on a bike forum and has been a member since the first day he bought this bike (3 years ago), and posted every little question... first oil change, new tires, blah blah. The seller is also more focused on selling it locally, but is willing to work with me on shipping.

This is the process we are about to do:
1. Seller mails the title to my bank
2. My bank mails a bank check in the sellers name to the shipping company I setup/picked. The seller has nothing to do with the shipping company (actually doesen't even know who I choose to ship the bike).
3. When the bike is inspected by the shipping company they call me with the results and if I approve the shippers hand the check to the seller
4. Seller mails the keys and stock parts to me.

I don't see any way I could be ripped off. Is this a dumb idea?

floaters
03-12-2009, 08:53 PM
na seems logical, i always wanna go look at something i buy personally, but if the bank has the title and something happens with the bike, you just claim it as stolen

GTSLOW
03-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Looks good.

-stew-
03-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Fly there, ride it back. Donbeabishmaing. flights are cheap with the economy in the tank.

BoosTT
03-12-2009, 09:15 PM
It's 1000 miles a way. I can get it shipped fully insured door to door in 2 days for $350. Beat that. Plus it's in NJ and I don't think the weater is that great.

Voodoo Chick
03-12-2009, 09:19 PM
I really don't see how you could be ripped off, actually sounds like a damn good plan.

0TransAm0
03-12-2009, 09:27 PM
what bike is it? but it seems like a good way to go about getting it.

-stew-
03-12-2009, 09:30 PM
It's 1000 miles a way. I can get it shipped fully insured door to door in 2 days for $350. Beat that. Plus it's in NJ and I don't think the weater is that great.

$350 is a fat deal for shiping, but it makes for a weak story. what kinda bike you getting?

BoosTT
03-13-2009, 07:26 AM
I let you guys know about the bike in a few days. I posted the info on two other bikes I was looking at online and people bought them, because they saw my post. jerks

Moparjim
03-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Actually if anything, it is HE that could be ripped off the way you are doing it. Just for everyone's knowledge, I would recommend NEVER EVER taking any sort of check even a cashier's check, bank check whatever. They are way too easy to fabricate, and even a seemingly "good" cashier's check can days or weeks later after you deposit it turn out to be no good and you are simply out the money. Always do a wire transfer. It's easier and once the money is in your account its yours.

BoosTT
03-13-2009, 06:07 PM
^^^ Yeah, that's why the check is going right from the bank to the shippers. I'm never going to touch it.

I got the bike. It's a 2006 Daytona 675. I'm pumped!!!