PDA

View Full Version : Key replacement on a 94 Z28

Keyser Zosig
03-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Well, I finally called off my search for my missing set of keys for my 94 Z28. So I call around and got a number of high quotes to replace the thing, ranging from $275 to $400.

I guess I am curious as to what my options are, they say it will require digging into the steering column to replace. If thats the case, can I just go snag a salvage yard ignition unit and toss it in?

I can't say that I have the $ to pay as much as I have been quoted to get this done, just wondering what else I could potentially do.

Anyone have experience with replacing one of these before? The dealership can't cut anything thats 2000 or older, and I hate to piss money away if I could simply swap it out for a junkyard unit.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can give me guys.

T

brotherbenn83
03-12-2009, 05:57 PM
You missing the ignition key? Or just the door key? What you need is a box called a VATS interpreter for the ignition key, it allows you to go through a lengthy process to determine which of I believe 12 or 14 different keys you have. Once you know the number of the key, you need to get one cut, and in your case the cylinder replaced. It sounds like you've tried to get them to VIN cut your key with no success. You need that VATS code otherwise the car will think you are trying to "hotwire" it and will not start. Keys are expensive (like $40 or so) cylinders aren't too expensive (maybe $100) but the time involved is where most of the expense comes in. If the car was in Milwaukee, I would be able to do it for you...since you are so far away it would be a big PITA. Maybe someone on here is closer to you?

PB86MCSS
03-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Another option, some may consider it ghetto/redneck rigging but its a way to bypass VATS and not spend so much money potentially:

http://vats.likeabigdog.com/

brotherbenn83
03-12-2009, 08:49 PM
If you had the ignition key, I've seen them even more rigged than that, with a spare ignition key taped to the connector under the dash. Those wires are pretty common to break over time, given the fact they are about 22ga wires, and how often you rotate your ignition cylinder. But they are fairly easy to replace with simple hand tools, plus my favorite thing...you get to do the job sitting down FTW!

Keyser Zosig
03-12-2009, 10:12 PM
I lost both the door and ignition key, along with the fob (yeah, I was super happy about all of it).

I have had the car for like 7 years, and I seem to recall at one point getting a second door key and having a ignition key cut (without a chip though, my friend cut if free at ACE). I might be able to locate the copies, so thats one half of the problem solved.

I hate to rig this up, seems to back fire on me whenever I cut corners. Sounding like a junk yard fix is out of the question, dam I hate spending money on crap like this.

Maybe if somebody can reccomend someone that can do it a little cheaper than the local locksmith guy, the car is in a heated well lighted shop. I am happy to take the column apart and do some of the leg work in preparation.

lilws6
03-12-2009, 11:20 PM
A guy at work lost his key for his grand prix with the chip lost the door ignition and fob as well. he was able to get a key cut by the vin over the phone i don't know who they called but the ignition key was $40 they sent the wrong key twice but the third one was right. After all the hassle he found them on his tool box

07ROUSHSTG3
03-13-2009, 07:20 AM
shouldn't take a genius to replace the ignition cylnder. I would think that if you have any mechanical experience you could do it yourself. order one from the dealership, have them set the tumblers and put it in??

but that does seem like a correct price range.

brotherbenn83
03-13-2009, 08:31 AM
shouldn't take a genius to replace the ignition cylnder. I would think that if you have any mechanical experience you could do it yourself. order one from the dealership, have them set the tumblers and put it in??

but that does seem like a correct price range.
except you have a 1 in 15 shot of getting the right vats key

07ROUSHSTG3
03-13-2009, 09:13 AM
except you have a 1 in 15 shot of getting the right vats key

true.

i thought that those keys were just a "resistor" key!?!?? don't you know anybody at a chevy dealership that could come over and figure it out for you. actually i bet that it wouldn't even need to be a chevy dealership. the local used car lot/service dept does a lot of our chevy keys for us on the older stuff??

good luck

brotherbenn83
03-14-2009, 03:41 PM
The theft module in the car is pre-programmed to only recognize that 1 resistor. That is what is supposed to make stealing the car difficult.

Rocket Power
03-14-2009, 05:10 PM
I got a new ign cyl and key set from the dealer for my old 96 Eighty Eight. Wasn't that bad to replace, just have to take off the airbag and wheel then take out the cyl and put in the new one and fish the tiny wires down the column and plug them in. Not too bad.