PDA

View Full Version : Accessories for a Canon G10

wrath
03-12-2009, 04:34 PM
I need some help. I can't help but notice that BCM has quite a few fine photographers.

I need help picking equipment.

Some backstory:
I'm essentially clueless when it comes to picture taking and photography as a hobby or profession. I'm perfectly happy with a $80 point and shoot, taking some pictures, then do a quickie fix later with the idiot's tool for fixing pictures: Photofiltre. In fact, my girlfriend donated her Sony DSC-V1 to me and I think it's the greatest thing ever. I don't know if it's crap or not, but I think it's great. It's definitely no SLR. The recycle time sucks but oh well.

My girlfriend went to school for journalism. She spent a lot of time on the photography end of things. Like ran the university photography club and things like that. She developed her own film. Used to be a giant hobby of hers but for some reason she quit doing it. I'm guessing it was money-related (it's an expensive hobby). I think another part is that she got tired of lugging around SLRs everywhere. She had sold pretty much all of her equipment except that Sony DSC-V1 when she was living overseas.

She's mentioned several times she'd like a new camera but for some reason hasn't been interested in a SLR. I'd been waiting since Summer for the Canon G10 to come out since it seemed to be better than the G9. As far as settings to adjust it seems like the Canons seem to dominate the point and shoots. That or the fancy Panasonic that just came out. Anyway, I couldn't find one just before Christmas for anything less than MSRP so I planned on getting her one for her birthday. Well, I found one at a smoking price at Circuit City and bought it while she was there with me.

She essentially has no hobbies. I have a ton of really expensive hobbies. Neither one of us have pursued our hobbies since moving here. I'd like to get her doing something like photography. She likes the new camera and hauls it around with her a lot. She'd probably take it more places but she's afraid she's going to hurt it. I think that fear will wear off once I drop it a couple times. haha.

So, I'd like to buy her some "accessories" for her G10. Ideally, they'll be decent ones but not too terribly expensive or she'll be mad (and know what I'm up to). It would also be nice if they'd work with a Canon SLR, like an EOS 450D/Rebel XSi. I was thinking someday she might like to get another SLR.

So far, I've bought:
A Canon Speedlite 220EX
A Targus 66" tripod

I'd like to get:
A faster Sandisk SD card. Maybe a SDSDX3-004G-A31
A Canon OC-E3 2' cord. Is this going to be useful?
A sleeve for the camera so when it's in your pocket/purse it's protected. Any ideas where I can find one or what to use? Silicone or neoprene or something?

Any other ideas for someone who likes to take pictures?

Goat Roper
03-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Remember, as fast as these SD cards are these days you are limited to how fast your camera can write. The SDCFX3-004G-A31 is a CF card and not an SD card by the way.

The OC-E3 will be nice so you can at least bounce the light off of walls or ceilings as the 22EX is a solid mount I believe and not a swivel like a 430ex

A good case is never a bad idea, like you said.

Here is a while bunch of accessories for the G10: http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/g10.html

wrath
03-13-2009, 12:14 PM
I fixed the part number for the SD card. I think the G10 only needs a class 4 card but I might as well spend the money on a faster card from a more reliable vendor. I've never had a Sandisk piece of media fail.

I'll probably buy the OC-E3. The goal was to get her a flash that recycles faster than the onboard flash but still be small. The 430EX is ginormous. I've seen how nice it is to be able to have some bounce.

What about a remote shutter release? Canon has a 2' long wired one that I can get off Amazon for $21 but I noticed there are a bunch of RF ones on eBay for $40 or so. I don't know what to buy. Any suggestions?

I think the only lens I think she'd buy is something to get a little more range. So it looks like the Lensmate G10 Adapter - part A is the nicest one out there right now as it is made out of aluminum instead of plastic. Then I need to buy Lensmate G10 Adapter - part C to use a teleconverter. And maybe a 58mm-52mm step ring.

So, if I were planning to get a teleconverter, which one would be best?
These ones seem to be popular:
Canon TC-DC58C
Canon TC-DC58N
Canon TC-DC58D
Raynox DCR1850PRO

I'm kind of leaning towards the Raynox.

V3rtigo
03-13-2009, 07:06 PM
we have a g9 and I love it. Its easier to carry and doesn't draw the unwanted attention that the 5d does.

wrath
04-23-2009, 01:02 PM
OK, I've now got:

Canon G10
Canon Speedlite 220EX
Targus 66" tripod
Opteka wireless RF remote
Sandisk Extreme III 4GB card
Screen protector
Lensmate Adapter Part A
Lensmate Adapter Part C
Hotshoe cover
58mm Lens cap

I'm now leaning towards the Canon TC-DC58D teleconverter. Doesn't get the zoom I want but it has a more usable range.

She's already scheming on how to spend a couple grand on a new DSLR body. Not seeing what's so great about the 5D Mark II but whatever.