PDA

View Full Version : experienced car detailers

floaters
03-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Well I'm going to go with 3m stuff partly because it was recommended, also cause my cousin works there and he can get me a bit of a deal. So I was wondering what I should all get to do a full clay/polish/buff/wax job on a few cars some dark paint some light.
I would say some medium polish to fine polish, to remove some over spray/light scratches/swirl marks and to finish off with a nice wax. please check the link below and let me know what you detailers use!!

http://www.shop3m.com/automotive-cleaners.html

any info is much appreciated!

Dave

btw I will be using a machine probably the Griots random orbital partly because they say it wont burn the paint, also is this bs or should I be ok with this machine?

PureSound15
03-11-2009, 09:08 PM
I would start off with a really good wash - I mean a REALLY good wash. Then start with the clay - that will remove over spray without a problem (I've clayed cars that had HOUSE paint over spray on the entire car). I wash again after clay. After that - I LOVE their cleaner wax/oxidation remover. I would do this if the car really only has very light scratches that don't require anymore cutting action than the simple cleaner, if it does need some cut I'd use the PerfectIt.

Use painters tape where you're afraid that you might burn it - keep it moving all the time and make sure you've got enough product (but not flinging it) and you shouldnt burn the paint.

from there it's up to you. I like the show car finish - but it doesn't last as long as some of the sealers I've used.