PDA

View Full Version : Photographers here?

SMS 1
02-26-2004, 11:29 PM
I know that there are a few photographers among us here. I have seen someone post a cpl of pics in the past (I think it was here:confused ) but I don't remember who it was. Anyway here goes for anyone who has a thought on some questions . . .

1. I know that during the process for developing color film prints the mini lab/lab tech/processing equipment usually automatically corrects a little bit (or alot) for color and exposure errors. Does anyone know just how much of a change is generally made or how the machines determine how much compensation is neccessary?

2. Is there any way to disable this "auto correction" ? And if so does anyone know of a place locally that will do it?

The reason I am asking all of this is because I am in the process of re-learning proper exposure(s) and filter usage and don't really feel like blowing a ton of money on shooting slide film. Also I am really sick of purposely under/over exposing pics just to have them screwed up in proccessing and all look the same.

Let me know if any of you guys have some suggestions :thumbsup

-Ben http://www.steffenmotorsports.homestead.com/misc/picture.gif

Silver350
02-27-2004, 07:47 AM
I think the only person that is registered on here that does film Photography regularly is Yellow wagon, but I dont think he developes his own film

jbiscuit
02-27-2004, 09:28 AM
Scott, he doesn't develop his own film either, he wants to know why film developers correct for poor lighting, exposure, etc when you drop your film off at a place like say Walgreens.

I have heard rumors in the past that there is no set "percentage" per say that the lab will correct to, its more like the machine measure color densities with a spectrometer (sp)...its like an eye that reads what is on the film. Areas that come out very black, very white etc can be corrected by the machine automatically. I don't even think the operators will know how much correction is being made because the processing equipment is built so that "anyone" can operate it.

Arts Camera on Oklahoma, just west of Highway 100 does a lot more of the developing manually....meaning they are setting color densities etc into the machine versus it setting them all automatically. Granted this is still about a 90% automated process but it is going to be a lot more accurate than say a Walgreens to providing you a very close representation of what you shot. I would recommend trying them.

If I may also suggest, Fuji makes a 35mm film called Superia REALA. Its professional grade film in a 35mm container. This film is VERY MUCH affected by your lighting source. For instance if you shoot this film at night you will MOST DEFINITELY need to use a blue filter to cool down the hottness from the street lights, etc. Its great film though, its what I have been shooting for a few months now. It has very fine grain and the color is amazing that you will get out of it. I woud try a roll and see how you like it.

J

Scales
02-28-2004, 07:01 AM
When I used to work at Mike Crivello's back in the day, only the developing was done on "auto". All the printing was done by an actuall person. Me sometimes. So it all depended on what that person saw in the negative. You could corect for color or contrast. Some customers did come in and request no corrections, so I know it can be done. Places like Walgreens do have the "Auto" machines where it does it all, and you get what you get. The location I worked at (Southridge) is long gone, but I would think the Brookfield location can still print without correction. I know that was there big claim to fame. That an actuall person was looking at the negative, adding or corecting for anything that needed, versus a machine doing it. Come to think of it, I still have about 300 gift cards for developing from there...... :devil

But it's been at least 6 years since I was in the business, so that may have all changed by now... They may be on full cruise control like the rest.....

SMS 1
02-28-2004, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the input guys:D I'm pretty far away from all the places mentioned but I know there is a Ritz Camera at bayshore that is not to far from here. I think they have the same setup as the others? Pretty soon I am going to go digital and buy either a Rebel Digital or a 10D so this wont matter as much, but I will always have the film camera as well and this stuff is good to know.

J- I do have a roll or two of Realla 100 film that I haven't shot yet. Originally I bought it to shoot some fall color pics around Holy Hill area last year. How sensitive do you think this stuff would be to color filters? Again I know that is something that can be totally defeated in the processing? Have you used any red/orange or green enhancers with the Fuji? I know you made mention to the blue filter for night but what about the others?

jbiscuit
03-01-2004, 09:48 AM
The REALS is quite sensitive. I threw a red filter on my lens once and it made the ENTIRE shot look like the entrance to hell. Its was ALL red. Not even a right hue, it was RED. Like I painted the 4X6 print red so that was a waste. I did that during the daytime. The green works well during the day...you can see the green emphasis for sure but it doesn't tur the whole shot green. Its good film no doubt about it. Its tricky though to shot it at night but if you get a good shot it would be awesome!:thumbsup