PDA

View Full Version : Air Bag Sensor

Silver350
03-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Ok ladies and Gents,

This morning I get in my truck and got the air bag light on the dashboard lite up. About a block from the house the tire pressure light came on. I did some research on line and found a few things to check for the Air Bag. I did and everything seemed to be ok. Started up the truck and both lights came back on.

I figure seeing I am going out to lunch I would stop off at the gas station. Tire stated 44psi max pressure. Check the tire and there was 30psi in the left front. I filled up the tire to about 40psi. Get in my truck and started it up. No lights came on not even the air bag light.

Could it mean that there is a faulty air bag sensor? I dont see how putting air in my tires can resolve the air bag issue as well. Any thoughts besides its a GM and you should of bought a __________? :D

Dr.Buick
03-10-2009, 12:23 PM
what kind of truck and year

BAD LS1
03-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Thought at 27 PSI the TPMS will turn the light on, at least its been that way with my two vehicles that has it. Sounds like possible electrical issue to me with the dampness etc... so long as the bag light flashed like 5 or 7 times (cant remember) and goes out, the system is ready. If it doesnt self check when the key is first tuned on there is issue there too.

07' K1500 sierra.

Silver350
03-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Yeah the Air Bag light flashed a 5-7 times and went out. A few seconds later the light came back on and stay lite solid and on the information area it displayed "Service Air Bag" where the odometer information would have been.

Holeshot
03-10-2009, 04:13 PM
7 times is the correct # for SRS normal operation. If its 5 there maybe a zone fault.

0TransAm0
03-10-2009, 11:02 PM
didn't you just buy the truck? take it back and make them fix it...

Silver350
03-11-2009, 07:06 AM
Light came back on today. If I take it to the dealer I doubt they will fix it this time with out charging me.

BAD LS1
03-11-2009, 08:36 AM
Light came back on today. If I take it to the dealer I doubt they will fix it this time with out charging me.

Just bitch about it... you just bought the thing, im sure they will take care of it. Just dont hit anything,when the light is on the system does not function.

0TransAm0
03-11-2009, 09:28 AM
i would think that would be under warrenty..

Holeshot
03-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Wonder if you have a faulty clock spring for the SRS system. Fairly common. But that should set a hard fault.

BAD LS1
03-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Wonder if you have a faulty clock spring for the SRS system. Fairly common. But that should set a hard fault.

The steering wheel controls should go on the fritz then too in my mind.

Silver350
03-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Im going to take it in an bitch. I dont know how thats going to work because if they want to be dicks they can charge me seeing the truck is only under power train warrenty. I doubt that covers air bags.

When I start up the truck the air bag light blinks 7 times and then shuts off for about three seconds and then comes back on solid.

PonyKiller87
03-11-2009, 04:50 PM
doesn't WI have that law where you can return a car in so many days if you change your mind? just tell them fix it or take it back.

brotherbenn83
03-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Bring it down by me tonight (after 6:00pm) at Holz and I will scan it for nothing, and try to give you an idea of what might fix it. Ask for Ben. At least if you know what codes you are dealing with you will have something to go off of. Plus, I am BORED.

Silver350
03-11-2009, 05:07 PM
I called the dealer and ask the service writer if they could do something. He replied back saying talk to your salesman. I called my sales man and said that the service air bag light came on my truck. It hasn't even been two full weeks since I bought the truck can you guys take care of it.

Sales man is a friend of mine and he said he will talk to his boss when he gets back to the dealer (On lunch) and call me back. If they call me back and say they wont do nothing about it seeing it was sold as is with a power train warrenty only then I will bring it down by you Ben. If you like for me to contact you prior to my arrival pm me the number you can be reach at.

brotherbenn83
03-11-2009, 07:45 PM
The code stored was a B0081 in the SDM (sensing and diagnostic module, aka airbag module) for your reference. It was also in the PPS (passenger presence system) as was a B1000. Sorry I didn't find anything concrete for you, that is just the shitty nature of intermittent problems. If you end up needing or wanting that seat belt buckle replaced let me know, the list price here is $140ish and I can get it for $85 plus tax. Hopefully they take care of you where you bought it. I wouldn't waste time bitching to a salesman or service writer, ask for the service manager/director or the general manager of the dealership. Best of luck to you.

Holeshot
03-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Ben do you think the seat belt pre tensioner failed? Also if its a safety issue isn't the selling dealer responsible for the repair. After all its only been two weeks from the sale.

Silver350
03-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the advise ben. It was good meeting you and I really appreciate you taking the time to look up that information. If the deal doesnt fix it for me then I will definatly let you know about that part.

Thank you a million times.

brotherbenn83
03-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Ben do you think the seat belt pre tensioner failed? Also if its a safety issue isn't the selling dealer responsible for the repair. After all its only been two weeks from the sale.

The pretensioner is part of the buckle, that's the reason for my above post. It technically isn't the dealer's responsibility because it was sold "as is" with I think 70,000ish miles on it??? However, whether they fix it free or not is dependent on how much they want to keep him as a customer.

Holeshot
03-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Is there a way the Tech can tell if the code was a pending code that just maybe it was not a hard fault at the time of sale but was pending?

brotherbenn83
03-12-2009, 01:46 PM
airbag codes are dissimilar to SES lights and such. If there is a fault, the airbag light/service airbag message will come on. AS SOON as the fault is gone, the light will turn off. ABS typically works the same way, whereas PCM codes can keep the light on for days after the fault is not fixed if they are not cleared.

Silver350
03-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Just wanted to post an update. Its been a Day and a half and still no light. I bitched to the dealer and they wont cover it but still insist I bring my truck in. I told them if they aren't going to give me an answer on paying for it why should I waste any time or money there.

brotherbenn83
03-14-2009, 03:34 PM
I guess I must have fixed it by removing your p/s front seat:thumbsup

Silver350
03-17-2009, 07:01 AM
Looks like it been. The light still has not come on.

Silver350
11-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Well my light still hasnt come on in my truck since last winter. However Yesterday I got a recall notice say and Electronic component located beneath the drivers seat may corrode due to a significant quantity of snow and or water containing road salt. and will cause a service airbag.

brotherbenn83
11-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Silly recall....
Step 1: Move d/s seat as far back as possible.
Step 2: Open flap above SDM under d/s seat.
Step 3: Tear/cut away insulating material above SDM
Step 4: Close flap