PDA

View Full Version : Detailing

Slow Joe
03-08-2009, 10:14 PM
The season is approaching, and I'm curious... What does everyone in here use for detailing?

I'm looking to claybar my car (I believe)... As you all know, it's black and black is a PITA to keep looking good... I was told that claybaring it will help it look better...

Also what products do you all use? Last year I waxed it with Meguires, and kept it shiny between waxes with Ice... What do you all use?

I'm just lookin for some hints since well, I might actually have some time to keep it clean this year... lol

Reverend Cooper
03-08-2009, 10:17 PM
any meguires is ok,i love klasse wax and paint sealer. clay bar is a great place to start

bmatson
03-08-2009, 10:19 PM
manual car wash, buff on scratch x and meguiars gold class every week with a meguiars DA polisher. I also have a black stang and that is the best method i have come across so i stuck to it. use quick detailer between washes.

Breecher_7
03-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Im done trying to keep my shit clean. I suck at clean up/detail work. Im paying someone to do it from now on. Its to damn time consuming.

bmatson
03-08-2009, 10:20 PM
if you keep it really clean you won't have to clay bar very often but thats where you should start if shes looking a bit dirty

Reverend Cooper
03-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Joe taking it to barbie for the first clean up might be in your benefit,she can get you where you need to be for a little dough.then you maintain it. she owns customer portering and does mine in the winter for W.O.W

Slow Joe
03-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Joe taking it to barbie for the first clean up might be in your benefit,she can get you where you need to be for a little dough.then you maintain it. she owns customer portering and does mine in the winter for W.O.W

I'm well aware who Barbie is.. One of my co-workers use to sell detail products and knows her well/recomends her... However, I'm a cheap ass with alot of time (I hope) so I figured I'd give it a shot... :thumbsup

I'm going to test it out on the Saab... Then impliment it on the Mustang once I have it down :rolf

Thanks for the reccomendation Coop!

Sprayaway Fox
03-08-2009, 10:27 PM
The guys up at Kohler Plant use the blue bar stuff you can get at AZ. They swear by it to get the foundry grit off there cars. I used it and you would be suprises what it all pulls up.

Slow Joe
03-08-2009, 10:27 PM
if you keep it really clean you won't have to clay bar very often but thats where you should start if shes looking a bit dirty

She needs a good claybar since it's been about... 2 years since her last professional cleaning... And that was done at the dealership we got her from... :rolf

Reverend Cooper
03-08-2009, 10:28 PM
really when i use the clay bar when im done,i let it dry for awhile,then get the klasse and wax it use a orbital low speed to remove,then apply the paint sealer,i will leave it on over night and remove in the morning and it looks great.the longer you leave the sealer on the better imo

nismodave
03-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Super Clean wheel cleaner is awesome. I just switched to it last year. Other than that I like Mequiers Cleaner wax for the Mazda (also Black) and my orbital. Does a nice job.

Reverend Cooper
03-08-2009, 10:30 PM
DO Not forget to do the inside of the bottom of the doors inner trunk lip and door jambs also under hood by the bottom lip of the hood and inner hood closing side of the fenders,no one does that and look where most cars rust,in those spots

03CVLX
03-08-2009, 10:34 PM
I just ordered this kit, that has all the tools you need.

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/g110-kit-1.html Basic

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/g110-kit-2.html Better

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/g110-kit-3.html Best

97z2801ss
03-08-2009, 10:38 PM
anyone on here do buffing/detaling. I got a black car and boy do i see the swirlys. Just wondering if anyone does it or can recommend a place

Breecher_7
03-08-2009, 10:39 PM
anyone on here do buffing/detaling. I got a black car and boy do i see the swirlys. Just wondering if anyone does it or can recommend a place

In the same boat....

Z28Envy
03-08-2009, 10:56 PM

Pm pork and see if his brother is still doing it!

Reverend Cooper
03-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Porks brother does do good work from what i have heard,there is also the shop i mentioned in butler called Custom Portering its in the phone book,I will give her great reference as I have used Barbie's shop several times. I have not used Porks brother so this is in no way a slam on him this is just my personal opinion.

johnny--2k
03-08-2009, 11:21 PM
wash, clay, then I'm going to town with my new PC, some Meguiars 80 Cut, Polish, and topping it off with a coat of NXT.

It's going to be a long process.

Reverend Cooper
03-08-2009, 11:23 PM
yea but your srt always looks awesome!

wrath
03-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Dupont No 7, a wool bonnet, and a D/A sander. Then Meguiar's NXT paste. If you wax it often and don't park in sappy areas you only have to use the Dupont polish once a year.

Poncho
03-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Joe, just throw a mock wedding every few weeks, you can just trick Jason and I into detailing the car for you :rolf

Voodoo Chick
03-09-2009, 03:33 AM
What exactly does the clay bar all accomplish, and how do you use one? I have never used one, obviously.....

JOHN 86GT
03-09-2009, 04:15 AM

McGuire's no.7 and Gold Class, polish the length of car (not in circles) with both products.

johnny--2k
03-09-2009, 10:27 AM
yea but your srt always looks awesome!

Haha...thanks. But right now, it's not so hot looking. The last wash it got afterwards it looked like absolute crap. Swirls, scratches, and very dull.

What exactly does the clay bar all accomplish, and how do you use one? I have never used one, obviously.....

Basically, it is a bar of clay (literally) that you use to rub down the whole car with some form of lubricant, usually a quick detailer, and it slowly and very effectively removes all contaminants from the paint such as rail dust, and salt. It also removes all the wax, so you can't really do it without a wax afterwards.

Check out some of this article and video....

http://www.properautocare.com/usclaybartor.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEfLGL59GI

Karps TA
03-09-2009, 10:36 AM
On my black TA I'll only wash it usually once or twice a season now. After washing I'll use Natty's Blue paste wax. Which gives it a nice deep black. Then I upkeep it using Poorboy's Spray and Gloss. The stuff works great and leaves a nice streak free finish. It's the best thing I've ever used on my black for ease of use and results. I think most people would never guess the paint is almost 12 years old now.

That_Guy
03-09-2009, 10:38 AM
i do a little detailing on the side for all my friends and family. with great results... porks brother also does a great job. i really like 3m waxes and buffing compound. they are easy to work with and stay on for quite some time.. i did my car in late fall in the garage and it seamed to fair very well over winter. here is a picture of cobaltss_tuners car after i did a full detail job. i also am a fan of meg's clay bar.. ive taken some serious imperfections out of a friends bmw. i dont have a problem comin over by you and giving you a hand with it..

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/nramlow2006/CARS017.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/nramlow2006/CARS012-1.jpg

PureSound15
03-09-2009, 10:46 AM
i dont have a problem comin over by you and giving you a hand job
:confused:confused

I used to own a small detailing company a few years back that I ended up selling. If you can use a random orbital - you can do anything, really.

Clay bar is fantastic and really helps strip the paint of imperfections. Just make sure to really wash the car (or use a cleaner wax - carnuba or something that will further strip the paint) to get everything off of it.

Paint sealers have come a long way in the past few years and really can add a lot of protection that lasts much longer than so many of the off the shelf waxes and polishes.

You DO get what you pay for with detailing products. I do like Mequires NXT - that stuff goes on and comes off so easy but sadly doesn't last as long as other, more expensive, products.

That_Guy
03-09-2009, 11:07 AM
:confused:confused

wow if thats what you got out of that statement then you'r really a warped person.. but as you said clay baring a car works wonders.

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
03-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Zymol

pOrk
03-09-2009, 01:16 PM
My brother does detailing every spring / summer. Price range from 80-110 for first time customers.

loud91rs
03-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Honda polish at the end...it's what I used at your wedding.