PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof Wont open on Grand Prix

pOrk
03-04-2009, 03:55 PM
When pressing the button to open the sunroof, the sunroof moves a few cm's at a time. To get the sunroof open all the way it requires pressing the button 30-40 times. Any idea what would cause this? Perhaps the relay? Is the motor going bad?

Car Guy
03-04-2009, 04:30 PM
:thumbsup

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3/KarGuy/107274328-1.gif

wikked
03-04-2009, 05:04 PM
How old is it?
Maybe the tracks are junked up & need cleaning/lubing.

pOrk
03-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Its an 04, I'm thinking its the switch. Tracks are fine

0TransAm0
03-04-2009, 05:57 PM
might be froze...i tried my girlfriends car the other day and it did the same thing but was full of ice....just a thought

pOrk
03-04-2009, 05:58 PM
It opens and closes, nothing is in the tracks and it moves freely.

88Nightmare
03-04-2009, 06:07 PM
if there is a relay in there somewhere try that. I'd be willing to bet its a switch or a relay.

Reverend Cooper
03-04-2009, 08:04 PM
my guess is that it needs to be retimed so to speak,check with the dealer you may need to disconnect the power reconnect and do certain steps to program it

pOrk
03-04-2009, 10:14 PM
my guess is that it needs to be retimed so to speak,check with the dealer you may need to disconnect the power reconnect and do certain steps to program it

Re-timed? As in it might not be opening at the same time on each side?

Reverend Cooper
03-05-2009, 06:04 AM
no like the complete open and complete closed are not set proper for the motor,so it opens a bit and thinks its opened all the way,just a thought

PureSound15
03-05-2009, 11:10 AM
The only way that I see it could be a relay is if the relay is not holding the bridge. I.e. when it slaps over to connect power - it's only staying there for a second or two before releasing.

If that were the case it would an incredibly simple fix once you found the relay which is probably by the dome light in that car - but I've been wrong atleast twice in my life.

brotherbenn83
03-09-2009, 02:24 PM
If you think it is the switch, here is your easy test for it.

Lower the front edge of the headliner at the sunroof opening (should just have to loosen or remove the rubber trim piece around the sunroof, or sometimes you can "unsnap" the switch from the headliner) and find your switch connector (3 wires dark blue wire, orange wire, brown wire.)

Disconnect the connector from the switch and with the key "on" or in "accessory" position apply a jumper wire between the dark blue and brown wires. If it opens smoothly, move the jumper to the dark blue and orange wires. If it closes smoothly also without interruption you know you have a junk switch.

pOrk
03-09-2009, 02:57 PM
If you think it is the switch, here is your easy test for it.

Lower the front edge of the headliner at the sunroof opening (should just have to loosen or remove the rubber trim piece around the sunroof, or sometimes you can "unsnap" the switch from the headliner) and find your switch connector (3 wires dark blue wire, orange wire, brown wire.)

Disconnect the connector from the switch and with the key "on" or in "accessory" position apply a jumper wire between the dark blue and brown wires. If it opens smoothly, move the jumper to the dark blue and orange wires. If it closes smoothly also without interruption you know you have a junk switch.

Check! Thanks much, new switch is 6 bucks. Now that I have the switch out it actually feels as if the plastic part of the toggle is broken on the inside.

pOrk
03-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Alright, the new switch is in and it works better but it still shuts off. Tyler mentioned a safety feature that is supposed to prevent the motor from burning up that shuts it down if there is too much resistance. He said his fix was to apply white lithium grease to the tracks to smooth operation.

Opinions?

wrath
03-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Alright, the new switch is in and it works better but it still shuts off. Tyler mentioned a safety feature that is supposed to prevent the motor from burning up that shuts it down if there is too much resistance. He said his fix was to apply white lithium grease to the tracks to smooth operation.

Opinions?

It's true. I asked my cousin about it (he works at a Pontiac dealership) and he says it's a common problem.

He said if you have the multiple-preset open option that it could need to be re-indexed.

Reverend Cooper
03-10-2009, 07:26 PM
ask my brother brian,he is a ase GM master tech I;m sure he can help you