PDA

View Full Version : STROBE LIGHT @ the Bucks Game = WTF...???

Car Guy
03-03-2009, 11:25 PM
The wife and I went to the Bucks game tonight (thanks STANMAN!) and couldn't ignore this completely random (seconds to a minute) strobe light that kept on going off. We sat in the very top row at half court and from what I could see they were located under the big screen/scoreboard above the center of the court. At first I thought it was camera flashes from the crowd but by the 3rd quarter I noticed that wasn't it. Just wondering if anyone has noticed the same thing or has an explanation for it, after I started to pay more attention it was driving me CRAZY.....:crazyeyes

STANMAN
03-04-2009, 05:35 AM
No problem! I knew the seats wouldn't be great with a face value of $16, but I am sure it wasn't packed, so you could move down to decent seating, unless the guards are complete pricks at Bucks games neways:rolf

Were the lights like every time they scored???

PureSound15
03-04-2009, 07:34 AM
WOW! I can't believe they'd have a strobe light.

Nothin' like throwing a couple photosensitive epileptics into seizures.

Prince Valiant
03-04-2009, 08:00 AM
I always thought it WAS a camera flash...but not from the crowd, but one, or more professional photogs that work at the game are wired in, and when they take a pic(s) the light goes off.

Not sure though...many pro's at our games are taking dozens, and several shots at a pop, so that threw doubt on my theory.

But I thought that because the shutter speed would have to be so slow to get enough light in that the players would blur...

It goes off so strong and quick, you're right, some might not even notice. I wouldn't call it a strobe, like a dance floor strobe though...I'd call it a flash.

Car Guy
03-04-2009, 08:04 AM
I guess a strobe FLASH would be more appropriate......

Were the lights like every time they scored???

That's what I thought at first but it wasn't for scoring.....

WOW! I can't believe they'd have a strobe light.

Nothin' like throwing a couple photosensitive epileptics into seizures.

Before the game started (possibly during) they had warnings up on the big screen that a strobe light would be used, don't know what people are supposed to do if they are sensitive to them.....:durr

animal
03-04-2009, 08:15 AM
The one and only time I ever went or will ever go to a bucks game.... I fell asleep in the first quarter. Maybe it was the strobe lol. The most exciting part of the game was getting concessions and watching the breakdancers.

Car Guy
03-04-2009, 08:24 AM
The break dancers were awesome but the best part was the racing babies.....:rolf

Jsho13
03-04-2009, 08:56 AM
haha the babies were funny. That one in the far lane had it in the bag and then decided to turn around. It was a pretty sloppy game, bucks should have won.

brotherbenn83
03-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Before the game started (possibly during) they had warnings up on the big screen that a strobe light would be used, don't know what people are supposed to do if they are sensitive to them.....:durr

Die?:wow:wow:wow:crazyeyes:crazyeyes:crazyeyes

u_say_go
03-04-2009, 11:16 AM
those lights could be coming from remote cameras placed on/under the scoreboard

Nix
03-04-2009, 12:24 PM
the Bucks still blow. :loser 's

Goat Roper
03-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Those are flashes you can use when shooting there if you happen to have the right channel :thumbsup

Car Guy
03-15-2009, 09:53 AM
^^^ Please elaborate Scott, I still don't understand exactly what they are for.....

Goat Roper
03-15-2009, 10:37 AM
If a photographer wishes to use a quicker shutter speed they can use something like a Pocket Wizard (or something comparable) to trigger those lights. What are Pocket Wizards? http://www.pocketwizard.com/

You don't necessarily HAVE to use if you have a quick enough lens and a camera you can run a high ISO without the pictures getting noisy though but it is a gurantee that you will always have the right light.

Car Guy
03-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Thanks for clearing that up......:thumbsup