PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Photo Assignment #1

Nick
03-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Welcome to the first official BCM Monthly Photo Assignment.

What is it?: A way for you to test your abilities, learn tricks you may not have known before, and hone new skills to come up with an image you feel represents the theme every month. Anyone can and should do this contest. It can be tons of fun and really bring out the talent you may not know you have.

The Rules: You may submit one photo only related to the theme given at the beginning of each month. After the due date, the photos submitted will then be organized and voted on in a new thread by anyone who wishes to vote. Discussion will also follow. Voting for the best and most unique image will last 48 hours and begin the evening after the submission deadline. There will be a First, second, and third place. :)
- The image must be taken from the time the assignment is given to the time it is due by you. Nothing before or after allowed.
- Final images submitted must be 900x600 in size.
- You may use help from others to help create the scene of your photo
- The first place winner gets to choose the next months assignment theme.

The Theme for Assignment 1: Energy

Due: March 31st - 8:00pm CST

Email Submissions to artbynicholas at gmail dot com

Any questions? Let's have fun!
:banana1:

UPDATE: UnderPSI has so graciously offered to donate fireworks to the first, second and 3rd place winners! :rock:
UPDATE 2: Ammended rules. See above.

Z28Envy
03-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Nice!! This is a great idea Nick! Should be fun.

Nick
03-03-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm really excited to see what everyone comes up with and I hope lots of people participate

0TransAm0
03-03-2009, 10:27 PM
sounds interisting..i am no good at taking pics im more of the point and click type.but what the hell i think i will give it a shot.

wikked
03-03-2009, 11:54 PM
Wewt, I'm in, good idea during these boring ass months.

udlose98
03-04-2009, 12:10 AM
im in, like the idea...now to come up with something...

Voodoo Chick
03-04-2009, 12:10 AM
Wewt, I'm in, good idea during these boring ass months.

These boring-ass months are pretty near over! About 4-6 weeks 'til "the good times" begin!! :banana1:

twirkin50
03-04-2009, 06:49 AM
Awesome!! This should fun.

michelle
03-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Wow, this is an awesome idea. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

wikked
03-04-2009, 03:12 PM
These boring-ass months are pretty near over! About 4-6 weeks 'til "the good times" begin!! :banana1:

Still only gonna be in the 50's a month from now... over 70 = happy :D

Car Guy
03-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Awesome idea...!!! :thumbsup

Too bad my camera sucks the big one; I would NOT win simply because of the poor quality.....:(

Nick
03-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Not true. You could come up with something totally unique with even a point and shoot. It's not the camera that has the talent or the ability to create an image, it's the user.
Very common misconception.

75% user, 25% camera.

That's why I get irritated when people tell me I have such a fantastic camera when they see some of my pics, even though I know what they mean, it's like telling a chef his pots and pans make fantastic food.

The camera is just a tool to help make a great photo. It's up to you how you do it.

So really, everyone should be doing this! :)

Car Guy
03-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Maybe I'm too picky then.....:goof

Nick
03-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Remember too - this isn't about the quality of the photo or clarity, it's about the creativity put into it.

johnny--2k
03-04-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm in if I have the time!

What do the winners get? Bragging rights? Ice Cream? A Beer?

Nick
03-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Just recognition for having the 1st, 2nd and 3rd best photos. :)
You will have time. You have a month. :)

Myles
03-04-2009, 05:40 PM
wow, something useful out of you for the first time nick!

Cant wait to see what everyone submits.

Nick
03-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Will you participate, Myles?
Please dont send me any of your attempts to mimic Goatse anymore.

:(

UnderPSI
03-05-2009, 05:04 AM
I will donate Fireworks as prizes for First Second and Third. Some type of assortment for first. Being that I work for We Energies I am going to take the topic literally and see what type of Energy picture I can come up with.

badass88gt
03-05-2009, 05:31 AM
Really looking forward to this. Hopefully all the WiStangs join in, I enjoy looking at everyones pics over there too.

GTSLOW
03-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Wow this is really cool!!

Nick
03-05-2009, 08:45 AM
I will donate Fireworks as prizes for First Second and Third. Some type of assortment for first. Being that I work for We Energies I am going to take the topic literally and see what type of Energy picture I can come up with.

That's so awesome!!! :headbang

Goat Roper
03-05-2009, 09:04 AM
The way this has been done on other sites is that the winner for one month pics the topic for the next month as well.

Myles
03-05-2009, 09:05 AM
Will you participate, Myles?
Please dont send me any of your attempts to mimic Goatse anymore.

:(

I might participate, but since i actually lack a camera aside from my phone we will have to see if i actually get any chance to take pictures.

Nick
03-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Can we get a sticky fa sho?

Goat Roper
03-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Can we get a sticky fa sho?

request sent

Yooformula
03-05-2009, 04:06 PM
this one was stickied already.

Goat Roper
03-05-2009, 04:30 PM
this one was stickied already.

Whoops, perhaps my browser was displaying a cached page, thanks Yoo!

nismodave
03-05-2009, 04:36 PM
I stickyed it this afternoon.:thumbsup

GRAMPS SS
03-10-2009, 08:48 PM
i'd be in...but i'm not buying a dig camera...and for me to get the pic in film and on a disk to download,,,the contest would be over...

but good luck to all...looking forward to what you shoot...

GRAMPS SS
03-10-2009, 08:51 PM
You may edit the images in any way you feel appropriate.
- You may use help from others to help create the scene of your photo, but all editing must be done by you.

why edit...why not show raw pics..untouched.....why not show your true talent with unedited pics...JMO...

udlose98
03-10-2009, 10:12 PM
You may edit the images in any way you feel appropriate.
- You may use help from others to help create the scene of your photo, but all editing must be done by you.

why edit...why not show raw pics..untouched.....why not show your true talent with unedited pics...JMO...

to me ture talent is in the editing of the pictures. Most cameras cant capture what the eye sees, its up to the photographer to recreate that and then add a little bit more.

Nick
03-10-2009, 10:17 PM
to me ture talent is in the editing of the pictures. Most cameras cant capture what the eye sees, its up to the photographer to recreate that and then add a little bit more.

I actually disagree completely.

The image is what is. How you compose and expose it is where the real magic is IMO.

Using post processing had tremendous benefits and is good for enhancing or fixing things you may not be able to do as easily as you would with film photography.

But the true talent is the ability to compose and expose a photo properly without using post.

Gramps does bring up a good point and I'll probably take that into strong consideration for the next months project when the winner submits his/her theme and I post the rules.

udlose98
03-10-2009, 10:22 PM
hmm, interesting as well, but to me when Im editing a photo im recreating what my eyes saw, not what the camera did.

udlose98
03-10-2009, 10:26 PM
thinking about it though, it makes sense that our opinions vary. I know you spend a lot of time setting up shots, you have a lot of lights, compared to just my flash. If I had more equipment maybe I would feel the same way. But of the few lenses I have to chose from and my single flash....composure is still not a large part of my photography.

Nick
03-10-2009, 10:35 PM
thinking about it though, it makes sense that our opinions vary. I know you spend a lot of time setting up shots, you have a lot of lights, compared to just my flash. If I had more equipment maybe I would feel the same way. But of the few lenses I have to chose from and my single flash....composure is still not a large part of my photography.

If you think about it though, your composure's are evolving through a natural process of learning. You don't recognize it probably, but when you find yourself going for the difficult angles, etc., you are composing the image.

Eventually as you go along you'll fall into a style you are best at and go with it. You take good photos, so I know. Then you just build on that. :)

I figured out my style and I did a lot of research on how to improve that with all kinds of different technical methods and what ones work well for me and what people like. So I go with it and just keep trying all new means of composition and lighting.

udlose98
03-10-2009, 10:37 PM
maybe I just had a differnet idea of what compsure was then, but that makes sense.

Still I love post production, so much so, that I look forward to it more than taking the actual pictures themselves. Dont know if that is a bad mentality, but it is what it is.

GRAMPS SS
03-13-2009, 08:32 PM
^^^if you don't have the accessories you need...i'm sure most people here will gladly let you use something of theirs...you get you camera to use Quantum T2's and i'll borrow you mine...i already told scott and nick once i dig out my back grounds and frame work for them..they can use them....

jamest
03-13-2009, 10:26 PM
^^^if you don't have the accessories you need...i'm sure most people here will gladly let you use something of theirs...you get you camera to use Quantum T2's and i'll borrow you mine...i already told scott and nick once i dig out my back grounds and frame work for them..they can use them....

Will you be digging out the glass plates? :D

GRAMPS SS
03-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Will you be digging out the glass plates? :D

you laugh now..but YOU know they work the best,...:D

GRAMPS SS
03-15-2009, 11:59 AM
hmm, interesting as well, but to me when Im editing a photo im recreating what my eyes saw, not what the camera did.

that's it...your RECREATING the org pic...it's not the same as what you took,..you can chage the back ground..the forground..the color of there cloths..etc.......your making it something it wasn't to beging with...let your nat talent show and set up a pic and shoot it and see what you got...you'll learn from it . other then taking it to photoshop and changing the hell out of it...
but i guess that's the NEW way of doing things for the last years...take the pic...recreat it to make it sell or win a contest...
i have a pic of a high school senior...untouched execpt for matte spray that took a blue ribbon in the WPPA..went up against others that RECREATED theirs....i just like old school photography...take you time set it up..take your light readings and shoot...PLAIN AND SIMPLE...but i do understand the change that the Photoshop has brought into photography..i don't believe in it..but that's just me...JMO

Cryptic
03-23-2009, 09:50 AM
- You may edit the images in any way you feel appropriate.

I'm with Wayne on this one... This isn't a Photoshop contest. For a Photo contest, I believe the original image should be submitted (so the original EXIF info is intact). Just my opinion...

I got my image ready.

Nick
03-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Well, i'm sure the people will vote appropriately. Rules will be different the next time around.

udlose98
03-23-2009, 04:14 PM
My feeling is that pshop can make or break a picture. We have several great photoshoppers here and it really drastically can improves flaws of the photo. Though maybe seperating the contest into ps and non ps may be a better idea. Also I think we should start doing small weekly stuff too.

Nick
03-23-2009, 04:58 PM
We could change it to a weekly assignment. Thoughts?

I agree about the whole manipulation thing though. It should be done right out of the box.

udlose98
03-23-2009, 05:30 PM
I guess I stand alone on the ps then. Some people don't have it and therefore I can understand that would be a significant disadvantage, but splitting them into two groups seems like a better solution then doing away with it. I am a firm believer that photos directly from camera can never be representative of what the eye sees. Programs like ps help you produce elements that were lost in translation. If not for ps I think many photos would be very bland and may even appear seemless between photographers. I know there are other very important elements, but to me ps (and alike) is just as important.

jamest
03-23-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm with Wayne on this one... This isn't a Photoshop contest. For a Photo contest, I believe the original image should be submitted (so the original EXIF info is intact). Just my opinion...

I got my image ready.

Agreed. No matter how many PS filters you throw at a turd photo it will still stink.

Nick
03-26-2009, 01:08 PM
I still have not taken my photo. I am hoping to Friday night if anyone wants to get together. I am still brainstorming.

Nick
03-27-2009, 01:45 PM
I have 1 photo submitted so far by Tyler B.

I'm going out tonight to shoot some shit if anyone is interested in tagging along. I may go downtown, Milw.

stealthy1ss
03-27-2009, 06:41 PM
I can't believe that no one else has summitted anything.

udlose98
03-27-2009, 06:48 PM
eh still got time, need another pic. And going out tonight sounds like a damn good idea, pretty sure I am locked up witha few things to do tho, damn.

Nick
03-30-2009, 12:08 AM
1 day left. I only have one submission. Mine not included.

michelle
03-30-2009, 07:24 AM
Procrastinators....

twirkin50
03-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Sent.

UnderPSI
03-30-2009, 08:01 PM
I sent a couple :durr

Z28Envy
03-30-2009, 08:03 PM
I didn't really get a chance to go out and look for something that I felt really went with the topic. So I just sent in something that had a little to do with it. At least it something.

UnderPSI
03-30-2009, 08:05 PM
I don't have that great a camera, (point and shoot) so I took the topic literally and took some pictures at work, We Energies, to show what I deal with.

Nick
03-30-2009, 09:16 PM
I don't have that great a camera, (point and shoot) so I took the topic literally and took some pictures at work, We Energies, to show what I deal with.

Got em. You have to pick one though.

udlose98
03-30-2009, 09:27 PM
just finished, I am pretty proud, as Nick said not viewing this as a competition, but something to learn off of and I definetly grasped a new technique. submitting in a second.

Nick
03-31-2009, 08:05 AM
11 hours, 55 minutes left!

Nick
03-31-2009, 02:02 PM
6 submissions in. Including my own. These are really nice guys!

I'll be posting the Poll tonight. Names will not be next to the photos until results are shown.

Nick
03-31-2009, 07:04 PM
56 minutes left!

michelle
03-31-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm really excited to see what everyone came up with!