PDA

View Full Version : Remember that train accident

michelle
03-03-2009, 08:18 PM
The one that killed 25 people? Well they released the text messages that were sent prior to the crash.

Article: http://cbs2.com/local/Metrolink.Engineer.Text.2.817045.html
Article 2: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/03/03/state/n143746S07.DTL

Sept. 8:

Sanchez: I'm REALLY looking forward to getting you in the cab and showing you how to run a locomotive

Teen: (Oh my god) dude me too. Running a locomotive. Having all of that in the palms of my hands. Its a great feeling. And ill do it so good from all my practice on the simulator.

Sanchez: heh heh heh ... you'll see how easy it is to run a passenger train. freight ... well that's a bit tougher to run

Sanchez: I know you can't wait. because I remember the 1st time I climbed up the ladder on a locomotive

Sanchez: I'm gonna do all the radio talkin'... ur gonna run the locomotive & I'm gonna tell u how to do it.

Sept. 11

Teen: Alright. So im getting real pumped up for tomorrow. But outa camarillo were good to montalvio?

Sanchez: yea ... i'll take it out of the depot for a bit then u'll have it.

Teen: Ok. So ill have it moorpark to just outside of camarillo and just outside camarillo to montalvio?

Sanchez: yea

Teen: Ok man. Sounds good. Getting butterflies.

Teen: I also just wanted to thank you with such a great opportunity. Never in a million years did i imagine i was gonna do what im gonna do tomorrow. Thank you so much.

Sanchez: no prob. just glad i could give u that chance.

Sept. 12

Teen: So today is the big day

Teen: I just cant believe that its today. Ive been waitin' and now its here. So happy

Sanchez: don't forget ... in 9 hours & 53 mins...u'll be running 862 to montalvo. heh heh heh

The crash reportedly happened 22 seconds after that last message was sent.

Letting a teen drive the train? Yeah, that's a bright idea.

Windsors 03 Cobra
03-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Sick.

brewcity_mach1
03-03-2009, 08:37 PM
thats just dumb. i see people txting and driving everyday and they drive like A-holes.

they were saying that sanchez was doing that on one train. and on the other train a conductor was txting as well

Voodoo Chick
03-03-2009, 08:54 PM
I think people ought to put down all their damn electronic gizmos and drive whatever the hell it is they're supposed to driving, be it plane, car, train, boat, etc......

moels
03-03-2009, 09:03 PM
The one that killed 25 people? Well they released the text messages that were sent prior to the crash.

Article: http://cbs2.com/local/Metrolink.Engineer.Text.2.817045.html
Article 2: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/03/03/state/n143746S07.DTL

Letting a teen drive the train? Yeah, that's a bright idea.

An even dimmer idea is texting while driving the train. Technology isn't always a good thing. I always wonder why dvd players and computer/GPS stuff is put in the dash of some vehicles. Stupid if you ask me.

Voodoo Chick
03-03-2009, 09:05 PM
An even dimmer idea is texting while driving the train. Technology isn't always a good thing. I always wonder why dvd players and computer/GPS stuff is put in the dash of some vehicles. Stupid if you ask me.

I agree, wholeheartedly. Whatever happened to just having automotive gauges in the dash? What's with all these "creature comforts" bullsh*t? Just drive, dammit.

TransAm12sec
03-03-2009, 09:06 PM
"Sanchez: heh heh heh ... you'll see how easy it is to run a passenger train. freight ... well that's a bit tougher to run"

I shouldn't laugh, but it's just so hypocritical.

GRAMPS SS
03-03-2009, 09:55 PM

well wayner...the GPS i have gets a better signal on my dash as i don't have an external antenna for it, nor do they make one...i'm poor..can't afford the in dash unit i want ........................ till summer :D

lordairgtar
03-04-2009, 12:00 AM
looks like that kid ain't gonna get to drive the train. My dad worked for the railroad and the family had a pass that allowed us to ride free on the trains (pre-Amtrak). I was heading to my grandparents farm on the train when the conductor took me up to the locomotive and I got to get up into the cab of the train. Didn't get to operate the train though. These were days when a kid could ride the train by him or herself without the parents. I rode that train by myself every summer until the rail service was nationalized. This was grade school years.

nitrous
03-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Anyone want to get in on a possible "You're driving a car not a phonebooth" bumper sticker for the beaters?