PDA

View Full Version : What are the 'RUST FREE' regions...???

Car Guy
03-02-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm looking to buy another work van (Aerostar `90-97) and the one stipulation is it MUST BE 100% RUST FREE. I have been looking in the obvious areas like AZ, CA, NM, TX, etc but was curious what other locations might have something that doesn't resemble Swiss cheese. I am being very picky as to which one I buy so the bigger the search area I can concentrate on the better.....:)

~Justin :thumbsup

Flicktitty
03-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Flordia/Georgia/Alabama seem to have pretty solid cars from my travels on car forums.

letsrunem
03-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Far, far away..

Voodoo Chick
03-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Arizona, or anywhere with a hot, dry desert climate.

Rocket Power
03-02-2009, 11:35 PM
I got my 64 from southern Colorado(puebloish) lots of 60's truck sitting parked in peoples yards, you can tell when they got a new one and parked the old:rolf

subliminal1284
03-02-2009, 11:45 PM
Out west has solid cars because they dont use salt. Look in Colorado and Wyoming.

DynoTom
03-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Oregon has some REALLY nice stuff !

juicedimpss
03-03-2009, 12:00 AM
also try nevada

Prince Valiant
03-03-2009, 12:15 AM
FL (inland), GA, SC, NC, TN, LA, AL, AR, MO, KN, OK, TX, MS, NM, NV, CA, AZ are perhaps the most rust free.

Not totally rust-free, but fairly easy to find decent cars:
CO (surprisingly, most the state is pretty salt free), UT, OR and WA (really...lots of rust free cars out there), Parts of WY, WV, VA too...KY can have some decent ones, so don't rule them out. MA can also be halfway decent outside the cities, so I imagine VT/NH/CT/MA in some portions outside the city.

GTSLOW
03-03-2009, 12:17 AM
There were many junk yards in AZ. I couldn't believe some of the cars there were there that had minor surface rust if that. They've just been sitting in the sun baking for YEARS.

pashtrd
03-03-2009, 03:55 AM
I was down in NC last weekend. I could not believe the fact that nothing there had any rust.

PB86MCSS
03-03-2009, 08:18 AM
I think its pretty well covered, but surprises some that Colorado/Wyoming/Dakotas (IIRC) don't use salt much so they don't have rust issues. Makes me wish we didn't bother with salt like alot of other states that have some snow/ice issues.

I got my 87' in NM and I'll never buy a rusty car again if its more than a daily beater. Removing factory exhaust and exhaust manifolds with a basic socket wrench was too enjoyable not to mention not worrying about actual rust repair.

Many cars on the coasts have had rust issues from what I've seen.

Car Guy
03-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the input everyone, haven't found anything yet but hopefully will sometime soon.....:)

Rocket Power
03-15-2009, 12:56 PM
I think its pretty well covered, but surprises some that Colorado/Wyoming/Dakotas (IIRC) don't use salt much so they don't have rust issues. Makes me wish we didn't bother with salt like alot of other states that have some snow/ice issues.

I got my 87' in NM and I'll never buy a rusty car again if its more than a daily beater. Removing factory exhaust and exhaust manifolds with a basic socket wrench was too enjoyable not to mention not worrying about actual rust repair.

Many cars on the coasts have had rust issues from what I've seen.
QFT, being able to read the stamped axle code and easily be able to take bolts off without a face full of rust FTW