PDA

View Full Version : applying POR-15

Troutman
03-02-2009, 10:41 PM
is there a correct or good way to apply POR-15 to get a good surface finish? in the past years ive applied it to the entire underbody and trunk area in my Z. i always seem to get really tiny air bubbles regardless of how ive applied it. ive had the surfaces completely stripped to bare metal, and went over with DX330. temps were in the 60s-70s..ive tried brushes, foam brushes, putting it on thin, putting it on thick..all with the same results...tiny bubbles. i dont think it was out-gassing, because the surface is bare...and curing..well ive put it on thin and thick..so i have no idea. i heard a rumor at a car show that going in a cross-hatch pattern seems to work better. anyone have any experience? ive only used the gloss black (if that even matters)

...ive recently stripped the entire interior down to metal (by hand :crying) and am going to be going at it.... again.

Voodoo Chick
03-02-2009, 11:19 PM
There's no perfect way to apply it.....so far, I have had pretty bad experiences with it. I have been using rust encapsulator from Eastwood instead, with MUCH better results. Good luck.

LEWETHETIGER73
03-03-2009, 07:20 AM
I've used an airgun and it worked great! Try calling the company to see what they would recomend.

Breecher_7
03-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Ive sprayed it as well as brushed it.. I guess ive never really cared what it "looked" like when it was done. It was there as protection and a rust inhibitor.... Stuff is pretty tough.

DR.FORD
03-03-2009, 10:15 AM
I've sprayed it and it layed out like glass. It really depends on the equipment you are using and experience you have. VERY messy and hard to clean up. If it becomes overspray and dries you are @#&^%!

Troutman
03-03-2009, 10:41 AM
the risk is too high to spray it. considering im doing everything backasswards. (stripping the interior of the shell after the car has been painted) i understand it wasnt meant to be a highly cosmetic finish..considering it has no UV inhibitors. i just like things too look as good as possbile..even though once the interior is installed, you'll never see it

Troutman
03-03-2009, 10:42 AM
I've sprayed it and it layed out like glass. It really depends on the equipment you are using and experience you have. VERY messy and hard to clean up. If it becomes overspray and dries you are @#&^%!

i managed to get it on my forehead once....scrubbing brake cleaner on your face and being left with a black smuge for 2 weeks isnt that much fun...

WickedSix
03-03-2009, 10:53 AM
gawd u have OCD....

never had it out gas when I applied it to my battery trays in the truck.....the stuff cures through a reaction with water...hence all the bs instructions on not sweating on it etc. If it is making bubbles it has to be something you are applying prior to the coating...i believe bare metal IS NOT the recommended media for it to work on as well. Contact the dealer and get their feedback for a smooth coating.

70 cutlass 442
03-03-2009, 08:08 PM
I sand blasted and then used a solvent to get rid of any oil or dust.... but yeah. You are FKED if you get in on your skin, it reacts with moisture and will stay on for at least 2 weeks, no matter what you do it WILL NOT come off. my buddy had it on his cheek and nose for almost 3 weeks.... was hillarious since it wasnt me.

TransAm12sec
03-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Well, I know exposing it to sunlight is bad, so maybe coating it with primer and paint afterward could help.

Cryptic
03-04-2009, 05:54 PM
if you spray, you will have overspray... better mask off EVERYTHING

I don't know who told you you need to bare metal the car, really all you need to do is scuff it down to take the shine off and use a good degreaser surface prep. POR-15 is going to stick to anything.

Pages 1, 2 and 3 show my experience spraying it
http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/gallery/rx7_rebuild?page=1

Troutman
03-05-2009, 09:05 AM
if you spray, you will have overspray... better mask off EVERYTHING

I don't know who told you you need to bare metal the car, really all you need to do is scuff it down to take the shine off and use a good degreaser surface prep. POR-15 is going to stick to anything.

Pages 1, 2 and 3 show my experience spraying it
http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/gallery/rx7_rebuild?page=1

the reason i took it down was to expose/uncover any and all rust. i was surprised where i found some after i stripped the OE coating off..so being paranoid..i stripped everything.

jbiscuit
03-05-2009, 03:29 PM
foam brush will work fine....pour some into a small container and then put that small container in another container filled with pretty warm water. The warm water will keep the POR15 thin enough to lay it out nice.