PDA

View Full Version : Iran wants an apology for "The Wrestler" and "300"....

badass88gt
03-01-2009, 09:01 PM
The nerve of some countries. These people burn our flag in their streets every year and want a f-cking apology over 2 movies...neither of which was even shown in Iran.

Tell them to get bent.

"It angered many Iranians for the way Persians are depicted as decadent, sexually flamboyant and evil in contrast to the noble Greeks."

How do the Iranians know thats not an accurate portrayal? Were they there?

When they make their own movies they can portray whoever they want any way they want. Until then, STFU.

TEHRAN, Iran – An adviser to Iran's president on Sunday demanded an apology from a team of visiting Hollywood actors and movie industry officials, including Annette Bening, saying films such as "300" and "The Wrestler" were "insulting" to Iranians.

Without an apology, members of Iran's film industry should refuse to meet with representatives from the nine-member team, said Javad Shamaqdari, the art and cinema adviser to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

"In my viewpoint, it is a failure to have an official meeting with one who is insulting," Shamaqdari told The Associated Press.

The film "300," portrays the battle of Thermopylae in 480 B.C., in which a force of 300 Spartans held off a massive Persian army at a mountain pass in Greece for three days. It angered many Iranians for the way Persians are depicted as decadent, sexually flamboyant and evil in contrast to the noble Greeks.

Iranians also criticized "The Wrestler" starring Mickey Rourke as a rundown professional wrestler who is preparing for a rematch with his old nemesis, "The Ayatollah." During a fight scene, "The Ayatollah" tries to choke Rourke with an Iranian flag before Rourke pulls the flagpole away, breaks it and throws it into the cheering crowd.

Neither movie was shown in Iran.

While American actors such as Sean Penn have traveled to Iran, it is rare for such a large group to visit. In February, Iran denied visas to a U.S. women's badminton team that had been invited to compete in a tournament in Iran.

The group includes the President of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, Sid Ganis; actors Bening, and Alfre Woodard; producer William Horberg; AMPAS Special Events Programmer and Exhibitions Curator Ellen Harrington; and Tom Pollock, the former Universal Pictures chairman.

According to the Web site of Iran's Cinema Association, the group arrived Friday in Iran. They met a group of Iranian artists on Saturday, and will be holding educational seminars in directing, screenwriting, acting, producing, marketing and film distribution.

Shamaqdari says Iranians will warmly host the visiting Americans "but it will not stop Iranians from demanding an apology."

The visits come as President Barack Obama has indicated a new willingness to open up relations with Iran.

Relations between the two countries have been strained over concerns in the West that Iran is trying to develop a nuclear weapons program, something Tehran denies. The U.S. has also alleged that overwhelmingly Shiite Iran supports Shiite militias in Iraq, which Iran says is not true.

The two countries have not had diplomatic relations since the 1979 Islamic Revolution and the hostage-taking at the U.S. Embassy in Tehran.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090301/ap_on_en_mo/ml_iran_us_hollywood

Goat Roper
03-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Well for the record, the movie "300" was as historically accurate as Star Wars for the most part but yeah, they really need to get over it.

awsomeears
03-01-2009, 09:33 PM
lolz

Car Guy
03-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Just another excuse to get their 'agenda' in the news.....:rolleyes:

http://www.thecommentary.ca/images/books/Stossel.jpg

Russ Jerome
03-01-2009, 10:12 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_hostage_crisis

Should have carpet bombed the whole area 20yrs ago
and pumped our own oil, I got there apology, coming
at 3000 feet per second and they will know its there
before they hear it.

Russ Jerome
03-01-2009, 10:16 PM
http://www.iranchamber.com/history/rkhomeini/ayatollah_khomeini.php
Just a great bunch of open minded people.

Car Guy
03-01-2009, 10:20 PM
C'mon Russ we all know you want to move there, I hear the winters aren't as cold as Wisconsin's.....:devil

Voodoo Chick
03-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Are they serious?? What a bunch of bullsh*t.

Russ Jerome
03-01-2009, 10:53 PM
IJjlsPRNtYo
Love to go there and visit.....in sand camo with 50BMG :)

Russ Jerome
03-01-2009, 11:03 PM
Win the lottery and I'll bring my own Apache copter with
lHw_JWLkqOo
They'll never be burdened with watching our movies again,
wait what are they doing watching American movies for??

srt4eh
03-01-2009, 11:04 PM
keyword - "Movie" - fuck Iran....

Windsors 03 Cobra
03-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Have not seen either movie and don't give 2 shits about iran either. Drop the bomb. :flipoff2:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/inQiIkz7J5Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/inQiIkz7J5Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Car Guy
03-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Roger that.....:sniper

lordairgtar
03-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Well for the record, the movie "300" was as historically accurate as Star Wars for the most part but yeah, they really need to get over it.
What!?! Star Wars isn't real? I won't get to be a Jedi? Crap!!

Chadwich
03-01-2009, 11:54 PM
You want an apology Iran?
"Μολών λαβέ"
Remember what happened the last time someone said that to you?

Russ Jerome
03-02-2009, 12:54 AM
You want an apology Iran?
"Μολών λαβέ"
Remember what happened the last time someone said that to you?

Μολὼν λαβέ

It’s not just a cool phrase to show movie and history geeks that you liked 300. It’s not a trendy thing to wear or say when you’re surrounded by other gun-owners to show solidarity.

I had to look it up!

Al
03-02-2009, 01:06 AM
My response to Iran would be:
"As a nation, we cannot apologize for this movie. We are a free country and we hold our citizens accountable for their own actions.
If you want an apology, contact the director/producer of the film. He might apologize for his work if you bring this to his attention.
If you feel that this movie has misled our perception on history from reality, you are free to produce your own film and we will allow it to be viewed in our country."

Roger that.....:sniper
Before the rest of you go off on Iran, first understand the Iranian Revolution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_Revolution

We had our own revolution against a foreign power and ousted a king that did little for us. France and many other countries did the same thing.

BTW- Most Iranians want peaceful relations with the US. There are a few nuts thrown into their parts bin, but it does not mean they are all out to get us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_hostage_crisis

Should have carpet bombed the whole area 20yrs ago
and pumped our own oil, I got there apology, coming
at 3000 feet per second and they will know its there
before they hear it.

Did you even read the article?
Here are some Key Points:
-The Shah dies shortly after receiving medical care in the US.
-Iraq, a country with funky relations with the US, invaded Iran.
-The whole crisis was led by a bunch of extremist students with no government ties.
-The US froze 7.9 billion in Iranian Assets.
-US-Israel relations

Chadwich
03-02-2009, 12:56 PM
I always was a history geek.

Russ Jerome
03-02-2009, 01:21 PM
I know you are correct in the quote Al, the whole thing
leads back to letting the middle east settle in its own
pile of dust. They have been fighting against each other
a LOT longer than before we kicked out some Native
Americans who were living off this land conservatively :(

If we were raised with the Taliban we would feel rage
against the US just as we feel about the inocent people
who went to work at the Twin Towers that morning, its
all in what side your looking at. The world will be void
of life soon enough, wont be a natural disaster Im betting.

Voodoo Chick
03-02-2009, 01:32 PM
What!?! Star Wars isn't real? I won't get to be a Jedi? Crap!!

No, don't listen to that nonsense, of course you get to be a Jedi!! ;)

Al
03-02-2009, 03:30 PM
I know you are correct in the quote Al, the whole thing
leads back to letting the middle east settle in its own
pile of dust. They have been fighting against each other
a LOT longer than before we kicked out some Native
Americans who were living off this land conservatively :(

If we were raised with the Taliban we would feel rage
against the US just as we feel about the inocent people
who went to work at the Twin Towers that morning, its
all in what side your looking at. The world will be void
of life soon enough, wont be a natural disaster Im betting.

But how much did Iran have to do with 911? Iran is pissed about other issues.
Brian Explains:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/42201/family-guy-visiting-ground-zero

The closest thing to the Shia and Sunnis fighting outside of the Middle East in recent history was the fighting between the Catholics and Protestants in Ireland.

Despite all of the flack that Iran gets for terrorism and such, their violent crime rate is half of what we have here in the US and it is still legal to own an AK47 there.

Russ Jerome
03-02-2009, 04:51 PM
But how much did Iran have to do with 911? .

No,no,no that wasnt the implication. It was just an
example of how one sided we all feel about others
depending on what side of the fence we are on.

But...if we technicaly break it down Iran does help
the taliban but thats another topic Im not qualified
to talk about :)

Prince Valiant
03-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Well for the record, the movie "300" was as historically accurate as Star Wars for the most part but yeah, they really need to get over it.Officially noted in the records:

"Hollywood movies aren't really historically accurate."

Though apparently what those Iranians whom are "demanding" an apology don't understand is that, well, those they demand an apology from have nothing to apologize for. Only those that are personally responsible for making the movies could even be possibly held to account, and even then, why?

Perhaps it's because those demanding the apology understand that perhaps they may recieve one from the crew visiting them (Lord knows how often Sean Penn's apologized for others...see apology to taxi driver in Iraq :rolleyes: )...which can then thus be portrayed as some sort of moral victory to the Iranian people (though don't believe that many, if not most Iranian citizens don't recognize the silliness of the mullahs and their gov't; they're simply powerless to do something about it).

Goat Roper
03-02-2009, 06:01 PM
....which can then thus be portrayed as some sort of moral victory to the Iranian people

Ding ding ding, we have a weiner

xxsn0blindxx
03-02-2009, 07:31 PM
The official response should be "Bak. Derk-derk-Allah. Derka derka, Mohammed Jihad. Haka sherpa-sherpa. Abaka-la"

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h78/fullstate/BlogImages/teamamerica.gary.jpg?t=1236043859

Al
03-03-2009, 04:50 AM
No,no,no that wasnt the implication. It was just an
example of how one sided we all feel about others
depending on what side of the fence we are on.

But...if we technicaly break it down Iran does help
the taliban but thats another topic Im not qualified
to talk about :)

I understand. I read your previous post too quickly.

Russ Jerome
03-03-2009, 05:22 PM
I understand. I read your previous post too quickly.

Thats ok I cant figure out what the %^$# I was writting
myself the next day when I read it.....dam booze!

Reverend Cooper
03-03-2009, 07:05 PM
they can have an apology from me. I'm sorry we didnt bomb you all off the face of this lovely earth. now fuck off