PDA

View Full Version : HVAC people, urgent help needed.

WhatsADSM
02-28-2009, 11:55 PM
Today about mid day I realized the heat went out.

Pretty sure I have it tracked down to a bad natural gas value (its the dual kind with the pilot/main). No pilot flame, ignition sparks, and the ignition unit is sending 24vAC to the gas valve. After about 20-30 seconds the ignition unit gives up as it should.

So anyways I am running on 2 electric space heaters, and for a temporary period (while I was watching it) I had my ventless propane heater on. It's going to get awefully cold overnight, and I will probably have to get it fixed tomorrow.

So if any of you HVAC people can help please shoot me a PM and we can exchange phone #s it would be much appreciated.

BTW (not that I think it matters much), but it is an old single pipe steam system, and the valve is for a newer new york gas fired boiler, not standing pilot.

88Nightmare
03-01-2009, 12:02 AM
pm awesomeears

lordairgtar
03-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Did you pay your gas bill?

Yooformula
03-01-2009, 12:09 AM
brad aka awesomears!

Reverend Cooper
03-01-2009, 12:09 AM
I had the same issue,and it was the valve

Yooformula
03-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Did you pay your gas bill?

I am pretty sure they cant shut it off until april.

lordairgtar
03-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Oh, that's right! This ain't Michigan.

88Nightmare
03-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Oh, that's right! This ain't Michigan.

ba zing

y2kws6
03-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Clean your thermocouple and try again. Even if the thermocouple is on the pilot and does not register there is a flame there it will not open the valve to release the gas. I have gone through a couple of those.

Dan

WhatsADSM
03-01-2009, 09:34 AM
I'll send awsomeears a PM. Looks like him and Korndogg in the past have posted up about HVAC stuff.

Yea the gas bill is paid for, I'm on the budget plan and right now I actually have a positive balance. Also the hot water heater and the gas stove works. So gas pressure coming into the house is definitely there.

I'll check the thermocouple, but I'm pretty sure that's not it, only because I am getting a signal at the valve, yet no gas is making it to the pilot. So seems like a valve, a broken pilot gas tube (don't smell gas though), or somehow a clog in the pipe going to the valve... The latter 2 seem pretty low probability.

WhatsADSM
03-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Just wanted to update the thread. I forgot I still had a home warranty contract from when I bought the home so I have someone coming out to fix it tomorrow morning.

Special thanks to brad for calling me about it. Tried the few pointers to get her fired back up, but it's down for the count. It will get even colder tonight but we should be able to make it with the space heaters.

Brian98GTP
03-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Just wanted to update the thread. I forgot I still had a home warranty contract from when I bought the home so I have someone coming out to fix it tomorrow morning.

Special thanks to brad for calling me about it. Tried the few pointers to get her fired back up, but it's down for the count. It will get even colder tonight but we should be able to make it with the space heaters.

Just be sure to keep the area clear around those fuckers.... I don't want to see a thread about your shit burning down! :stare