PDA

View Full Version : Brand new 18v Dewalt Drill.... Is this normal?

BoosTT
02-27-2009, 06:34 PM
I got a "brand new" dewalt 18v drill for my birthday. The person that bought it for me got it "brand new" off ebay. It's got some very minor scraches and it didn't come with any screw driver bits either. But it had all packaging and was still zip tied. Anyway, I think it was refurbished.

Heres the question... I can adjust the cluch (torque limit) and speed/gear thing (1,2,3), but sometimes you can't adjust it untill you apply the trigger and actually spin the drill. IE: the gear is stuck at 1 untill you spin it, then you can easly select a different gear. Is this normal for dewalt? I havent seen this on my robi or other 14.4v dewalt. I just don't want a problem later down the road. Thanks

BoosTT
02-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Oh yeah, this is the drill:

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=15104#attachments

pOrk
02-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Mine does the same thing, but I picked it up used at a rummage sale

Breecher_7
02-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Im on my second one, took 4 years to kill the first one. Yeah its normal, this one does it and my old one did to....

lilws6
02-27-2009, 08:01 PM
my 14.4 is doing this now didn't when i first go it but its been normal for a while now

1320PNY
02-27-2009, 10:50 PM
The picture in the post is the "old" XRP. They came out with a new chuck design 6 months ago. I have a few at the shop and they all do that b.s. with the clutch interlock, kinda like a manual tranny. The straight cut gears don't let you switch unless you give the trigger a little tap and turn the motor.

As for the unit, it is top notch. I blew up one of mine last year and took it to the place on Miller Parkway (DeWalt Repair Shop) and they fixed it for under $100. I beat the hell out of them drilling stainless in food plants and they last "forever". I figure if you use yours for normal home/garage duty it should be good for a decade.

If you ever need a charger or anything, let me know. I buy all Dewalt tools and I have about 20 battery packs and 10 chargers.

That_Guy
02-27-2009, 11:11 PM
dewalt is a good product. i have a dewalt battery powered circular saw that is the cats ass and a dewalt hammer drill. some of there stuff is better than Milwaukee. but then again im not sure if id ever buy a Milwaukee tool again after the way the strait up screwed my grandma out of her retirement benefits

letsrunem
02-28-2009, 01:10 AM
I bought a Milwaukee corded drill 2 years ago for $20 at a rummage sale that looked like all hell. I regularly beat the shit out of it and it's always as smooth as the day I bought it. Still looks like shit though. Love Milwaukee.

Then again my Dewalt sawzall has been kicking ass for a few years. Lots and lots of blades but no problem with it.

Al
02-28-2009, 03:34 AM
Heres the question... I can adjust the cluch (torque limit) and speed/gear thing (1,2,3), but sometimes you can't adjust it untill you apply the trigger and actually spin the drill. IE: the gear is stuck at 1 untill you spin it, then you can easly select a different gear. Is this normal for dewalt? I havent seen this on my robi or other 14.4v dewalt. I just don't want a problem later down the road. Thanks

I bought mine brand new and it does that.

Fine Woodworking make a comment about that. It's normal.

73Dustr
02-28-2009, 03:58 AM
All of the older Dewalt drills at my dad's shop do that. It's normal. Great brand of tools.

Lash
02-28-2009, 10:35 AM
DeWalt cordless drills suck IMO. Sell it on craigslist and get something else.

And yes.....I use DeWalt (as well as many others) EVERY DAY....they are subpar against many other brands.

Breecher_7
02-28-2009, 11:19 AM
DeWalt cordless drills suck IMO. Sell it on craigslist and get something else.

And yes.....I use DeWalt (as well as many others) EVERY DAY....they are subpar against many other brands.

Although I agree with this statement, you get your moneys worth out of them... I put a pretty good beating on the last one I had and it lasted many years.

turbogarrett
02-28-2009, 11:53 AM
I use dewalt 18v cordless stuff everyday. Have had occasional clutch, chuck problems and the ni cad batteries seem to only last a year or two. We have used 18v milwaukee, ridgid and makita kits at work and the dewalt's seem to hold up best of the bunch. If $$ is no object, go panasonic and don't look back!

Lash
02-28-2009, 01:03 PM
x2 on Panasonic. I LOVE em.
I still like Milwaukee's a little better than Dewalt.