PDA

View Full Version : Glass polishing???

Troutman
02-27-2009, 11:28 AM
i have a few scratches in my hatch glass and on the side windows as well. is it even possbile to polish them out?, and if so, are there any shops that can do it locally?

thanks

Voodoo Chick
02-27-2009, 11:54 AM
There's a few polishing compounds/DIY glass repairs available at Autozone for just that purpose. I have never personally used them, so I can't say whether or not they work/are safe, but I'd say buy one, and test a piece of scratched glass that is not on the "special" car......if you do this, let me know if it works, lol!

-stew-
02-27-2009, 01:13 PM
contact glasshole on here . if he don't respond to a pm let me know and i'll give you his number.

nitrous
02-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Yes, you can sand them out. Just make sure to keep it wet enough.

wrath
02-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Go to a glass shop and get some cerium oxide. It's like $20/lb. A pound will last you a lifetime. You can then use a 6" wool bonnet on a D/A sander and some water.

I usually mask everything off using black electrical tape. Then you don't hit the paint and you can keep the polish out of the lacing and whatnot.

nismodave
02-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Just a question. Is it true anytime you work wirh glas there is a risk of cracks and breaking?

If so, is it worth risking an almost 40 year old auto glas to remove a few scratches?

PonyKiller87
02-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Another way to do it is with chrome polish. Best to do it by hand but you can use a very low speed buffer or a dremel with the cotton wheel on the slowest speed.

I started doing this on the hatch glass of my iroc to remove all the scratches from the louvers, I guess I should finish that some day.

Troutman
02-27-2009, 04:59 PM
If so, is it worth risking an almost 40 year old auto glas to remove a few scratches?

thanks for the info guys/girl.

David. i dont think glass loses its structural integrity over time...

Car Guy
02-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Glass will loose some structural integrity over time, exactly how much depends on a bunch of factors.....:thumbsup

nismodave
02-27-2009, 05:05 PM
thanks for the info guys/girl.

David. i dont think glass loses its structural integrity over time...

Im not speaking of the glass' integrity.........Im just saying if something DID happen during the polishing, and it broke. It would be a bitch to replace.

Troutman
02-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Im not speaking of the glass' integrity.........Im just saying if something DID happen during the polishing, and it broke. It would be a bitch to replace.

true that. thats why i was looking for a shop. they break it they bought it.

im sure glass' properties may change with a few great hot/cold cycles

nismodave
02-27-2009, 05:48 PM
true that. thats why i was looking for a shop. they break it they bought it.

im sure glass' properties may change with a few great hot/cold cycles

I know when you go to most places to have glass repair, they say they are not responsible if it breaks.

BoosTT
02-27-2009, 06:39 PM
There are local places. I wanted to get some scraches sanded out of a monitor, but they told me it makes it look like a magnifineger (sp?, lol) glass. You can only do really shallow scraches, not noticeable with a finger nail.

GRAMPS SS
02-27-2009, 07:31 PM
what about getting out nthe little stone and salt pits you get in glass from over the years...my windshield looks like hell, and not worth spending 300.00 on a new one....

lilws6
02-27-2009, 08:34 PM
buy a new truck???

GRAMPS SS
02-27-2009, 09:17 PM
buy a new truck???

i thought you would loan me your TRANS AM...............

Troutman
03-02-2009, 09:44 AM
I know when you go to most places to have glass repair, they say they are not responsible if it breaks.

i hear you, but thats like taking your car to a garage, and them saying they're not responsible if it doesnt run. :rolleyes:

wrath
03-02-2009, 10:17 AM
I've polished hundreds of windows using cerium oxide and a D/A sander. Everything from a five window Apache to a 2002 Stratus.

If you've wheeled out a car before then doing windows is easy. You don't really need to worry about "burning the paint" or anything. If you spend too much time in one spot you can end up making it more polished than others or if you leave it there for like 5 minutes you can cause the glass to get polished away and the view through the glass will be distorted.

Holeshot
03-02-2009, 01:51 PM
What about interior side if the glass. like from some morons watch ?

wrath
03-02-2009, 02:26 PM
A lot of work by hand doing it or you pull the glass out (easy on 80s and older cars). Power tools are way too messy for interior work.

LEWETHETIGER73
03-02-2009, 06:46 PM
If the scratch is light you can always use car wax on it. I have used the kind of wax that is for scratched paint.

Troutman
03-02-2009, 09:32 PM
If the scratch is light you can always use car wax on it. I have used the kind of wax that is for scratched paint.

ive used wax, polishing compound and rubbing compound. it smoothed the scratches somewhat, but they are still there...and very visible:crying

Reverend Cooper
03-02-2009, 09:57 PM
use ASAP auto glass they have buffed scratches out for me before on customer cars
they are outta the falls area. Talk to a gal named Connie and tell her Coop told you to call.she is a friend of mine

lilws6
03-02-2009, 10:19 PM
i got stone chips in my windshield too so you won't gain anything besides a speeding ticket

Troutman
03-02-2009, 10:26 PM
use ASAP auto glass they have buffed scratches out for me before on customer cars
they are outta the falls area. Talk to a gal named Connie and tell her Coop told you to call.she is a friend of mine

thanks for the info.. i'll give her a call once the weather breaks and the car is back together... just out of curiousity..generally how long would they take? i know it would depend on the amount and severity of the scratches...but i getting at is this an afternoon thing, or would they need to keep the car?

Troutman
07-02-2009, 03:08 PM

called today and said they wouldnt touch it...gave no reason either:thumbsup

juicedimpss
07-02-2009, 03:16 PM
called today and said they wouldnt touch it...gave no reason either:thumbsup

you must have mentioned you are friends with coop :rolf

Troutman
07-02-2009, 03:21 PM

actually i made sure to leave that out of the conversation

GTSLOW
07-02-2009, 03:33 PM