PDA

View Full Version : Glad I don't work at Chrylser

Karps TA
02-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Interesting to see where they are making cuts. Like only using 1 light bulb per fixture, and removing clocks.

Maybe they can start using only 3 tires per car?

From Chrysler blog

William Wolf is Director - Paint, Pilot and Facility Operations

Whether you’re sitting around the kitchen table balancing the checkbook or in a corporate office calculating an annual budget, it’s true that a few changes can quickly add up to real savings.

That’s particularly true with the Chrysler Technical Center, located in Auburn Hills, Michigan. At 5.3 million square feet, equivalent to 121 acres or 92 American football fields, the CTC is the second largest office complex in the United States, only behind the Pentagon in Washington, D.C.

I wrote earlier on the blog about how we saved nearly a quarter million dollars over the holiday season by shutting down headquarters from Christmas to New Year’s Day. Since then, we’ve implemented new, additional ways to save some money.

Under a single large roof is our 15-storey world headquarters, five design studios, a 170,000 square-foot pilot plant, aero acoustic wind tunnel, emissions and noise labs, several employee cafeterias and much more. With such a large facility, heating, lighting and maintaining the CTC costs millions of dollars each year. A few adjustments add up to hundreds of thousands of dollars in savings, yet maintain the CTC as a safe, pleasurable and productive work environment.

One recent change we made: we’ve gone from two to one fluorescent bulb in the overhead lights in our offices at the CTC. The adjustment took more than a simple flick of the light switch, but the savings are enormous – about $400,000 in the first year alone. With fewer bulbs to replace, those savings will grow over time. We’ll also save from reduced cooling costs – those lights add a lot of heat, even in the winter.

And speaking of heat, we’ve turned down the thermostat. We’ve dropped the temperature in the office suites down about four degrees. Those few degrees result in a cost savings of $70,000 annually.

When the snow falls outside this winter there’s money to be saved there too. We’ve roped off some of our rooftop parking decks and surface lots, letting the snow pile up rather than hauling it away. By asking our employees to park in designated areas, we’re saving $220,000 this winter at the CTC. The same policy is saving an additional $90,000 this winter at our Plymouth Road Office Complex in Detroit, home to Jeep and Truck engineering.

Come spring time, when the days get longer and we make the switch to daylight savings time, we won’t have to spend a lot of money at the CTC resetting the hundreds of clocks. That’s because the clocks are gone. Last October, when the end of daylight savings time was approaching, my team realized that we could save $10,000 by taking the clocks down. These days, everybody can easily see what time it is on their watch, Blackberry or personal computer.

You don’t need a clock to know when it’s time to change. Everybody has to make adjustments during tough economic times, and the 9,000 Chrysler employees and contractors working at the CTC have rolled with the changes.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with a closet full of clocks.

My fav is the reply from an employee

Great Job Bill!! At this rate, by the end of the century we will have recouped the hundreds of millions of dollars AME Senior Management lost on the Patriot/Compass launch. You remember that launch. That's where AME Senior Management decided to blindly outsource the body shop and not require the supplier to follow our standards or involve our Engineers. Thank God with the new reorg we lost those managers....NOT. We couldn't afford to lose that talent now could we. You can force me to use both sides of the toilet paper if you'd like, but until we lose the no talent never waz's running our AME organization, our fate is sealed. :rolf:thumbsup

DocDave
02-27-2009, 07:54 AM
Wait until they are sold to China. Then you really see cuts.

jbiscuit
02-27-2009, 07:57 AM
Its smart for them to try and save money any way that they can but at the same time is this just a stop gap measure? Prolonging the inevitable?

Karps TA
02-27-2009, 08:08 AM
It's all just stupid window dressing. All those cuts combined probably don't even come close to what Nardelli is getting paid every quarter to run the company into the ground. All that does it destroy what little employee moral they may have left. Which in turn creates less efficent, less caring employees. What's sad to me is how excited this guy is about it, and how proud he seems to be of himself.

Prince Valiant
02-27-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm glad YOU don't work at chrysler too!

lasttimearound
02-27-2009, 07:20 PM
really? bitchin about them turning the lights down, removing clocks? the damn unions make sure every worker there gets paid enough to have a damn cell phone, cell phones have clocks. the lights? really? would you rather not have a job? seriously, quit bitchin you still have a job. holy fuck. do they realize with those savings thats several thousand of their jobs?

LIL EVO
02-27-2009, 11:15 PM
Fluorescent bulbs give off heat?

wrath
02-27-2009, 11:44 PM
Pennies add up to dollars and those dollars add up. Makes sense to me.

It's sad, productivity is directly tied to morale. People that are fearful of their job are either highly-protective of what they do or spend all their efforts looking for a new one.

wrath
02-27-2009, 11:45 PM
Fluorescent bulbs give off heat?

Tons of heat, go touch one sometime. It's not like an incandescent but a typical 4' tube you won't want to hang onto for very long. Most overhead light is a waste, that's why most new buildings have "task lighting".

letsrunem
02-28-2009, 01:04 AM
That is a huge ******* building. Energy saving is a great way to go.

lordairgtar
02-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Chrysler sounds like my old man..."TURN OFF THOSE DAMN LIGHTS YOU DAMN KID...AND WHO KEEPS TURNING UP THE THERMOSTAT". but yet Ford has reopened and retooled an engine plant in Cleveland to make their new EcoBoost V6.

Karps TA
02-28-2009, 09:16 AM
You think any of the execs are sitting in dimly lit rooms wearing extra layers of clothes?

I highly doubt it.

It's shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

sdb300zx
02-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Sounds good! There could be a lot better cuts like reducing the pay wages, health benefits ect. Our government wouldnt let them sell to china, dont have to worry about that..