PDA

View Full Version : Think this is a scam, and how should I deal with it?

badass88gt
02-26-2009, 05:11 PM
I had a Wiiiiiii listed on Craigslist a while ago for sale, in the Wausau CL. So this "woman" emails me asking me to ship to Canada and find out how much. I told her $35 to ship USPS and I listed the Wiiiii at $320. I told her she needs to send me an address to figure shipping, it is somewhere in Winnipeg. I googled the address and the guy's name she gave me and it comes back the guy is Nigerian, which throws up the 4th red flag for me. The address in Mapquest is real and now she wants my Paypal so she can send me the money.

I'm sure this is a scam, is there any way I can get their money safely out of Paypal (if they actually send it)?

lit666
02-26-2009, 05:13 PM
if you do it only send it to a VERIFIED paypal address. key word being verified......

badass88gt
02-26-2009, 05:33 PM
I have a seperate bank account just for online stuff. There's never any money in it until I put money in it. If I withdraw the money out of paypal into that account, then withdraw it out of my bank account there is no way they can scam me, is there?

I would ship to a verified address like you said plus it will go out with a signature required.

DR.FORD
02-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Once you send money through Paypal, you cannot withdraw the transaction. Also they cannot get info on how to bust into your account just by paying through Paypal. Take their money Dude.

Brian98GTP
02-26-2009, 07:00 PM
Once they pay you through your paypal account, all you have to do is transfer the money to your bank account. Once it's in there, paypal can't even touch it.

That's why I always pay with a credit card through paypal, instead of directly from my bank account. Because if I pay somebody for something and they don't send it to me, paypal can't do shit if they already pulled the money out. You won't see a dime..... whereas a credit card company will refund you the money and pursue the issue themselves.

That's how I understand it and how it's been told to me, anyways.....

Feature Pony
02-26-2009, 07:43 PM
easiest way around this, tell the person you need a check and you will wait to ship until the check clears 7 business days. if she don't like she can pack sand! thats how I would do it!

badass88gt
02-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Thats what I was thinking too, once I withdraw out of paypal into my internet-only account, the I withdraw that money out of my internet-only account there's nothing they can do if they were gonna try scamming me. It would just be up to me to make sure I ship it in a way that I can prove it was delivered so they cant say they never got it and file a claim against me.

1320PNY
02-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Checks can be bounced and it takes months for a bank to figure it out. The best thing to do is find a legit buyer, cash, local and drink beer with them while you play games.

BoosTT
02-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Why would someone want to ship a wii? You can find wii's pretty much everywhere. It's a scam. Don't trust paypal!! I've been screwed before and littlerally followed every single one of there tips.

I wouldn't even waste any more time dealing with it.

badass88gt
02-26-2009, 08:36 PM
You cant find Wiis anywhere here. Havent been able to for quite a while. Best Buy had 15 of them 3 weeks ago, sold within 2 hours, I bought the last 2. Havent restocked since. Same for Target, WalMart, Shopko, everywhere.

wrath
02-26-2009, 10:14 PM
There are a ton of Wiis around here. Last time I was at Target they had nine.

The ONLY times I've ever been screwed with eBay/Paypal has been when dealing with Canada. I shit you not.

madmike
02-26-2009, 10:49 PM
The most intelligent way is to wait until the money in Pay Pal clears, then poop in a zip lock bag and mail them that, wait six months and see what happens!

badass88gt
02-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Does it have to be a Ziploc or can it be one of those sandwich bags that the tops just fold over? I dont really want to waste the good bags on them....

madmike
02-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Does it have to be a Ziploc or can it be one of those sandwich bags that the tops just fold over? I dont really want to waste the good bags on them....
Well because of those trained sniffer dogs for international mail, I would at least tape the sandwich bag shut to eliminate oders, but dont use Gorilla tape cause it costs so much!

You know this is a scam

badass88gt
02-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Yeah, it could be fun to mess with the scammers though......

Junky Giorgio
02-27-2009, 04:50 AM
American TV in Waukesha has about 50 or so Nintendo Wii's. My brother Vinnie works there in Home office dept. If anyone wants a Wii go see him!

badass88gt
02-27-2009, 07:07 AM
What does that have to do with my deal here?

BoosTT
02-27-2009, 06:41 PM
You can get wii's anywhere. If you want to get ripped off, go for it. Not really anything more to say.

Brian98GTP
02-27-2009, 08:03 PM
How would he get ripped off?

How can you scam somebody when you're the buyer?

Unless he takes any form of check, he can have the money in his pocket before he ships the ******* thing.

I don't see where the 'risk' is if you were to sell it to whatever doofus wants to buy it.
When you ship it USPS, just opt to get delivery confirmation for an extra $1.00 or something.

Maybe I'm missing something.... but seriously, I don't see where the risk is if he's the buyer. He'll have the money AND the product in his hands at one time. If anything, HE can screw over the buyer by not shipping it or saying he never got payment.

88Nightmare
02-27-2009, 10:14 PM
if you are the buyer, you can easily scam people... so long as the seller you find is dumb enough to ship something before the payment actually clears. Offer to buy something, send a check, seller ships item, buyer receives the item as promised, however the seller finds out later the buyers check bounced.

This cant happen through paypal though.

BoosTT
02-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Paypal payment can be refused or withdrawn. I have been ripped off before and litterally followed ever single safe transation guidelines, yet still didn't get my money back. DONT TRUST PAYPAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

67-400
02-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Wiiiiiiiiii is a hot commodity, my suggestion would be give it time & somebody local would be looking to buy one. Cash talks. Hopefully these help ya!

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ele/1018514074.html

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ele/1030003666.html

67-400
02-27-2009, 11:22 PM
How would he get ripped off?

How can you scam somebody when you're the buyer?

Unless he takes any form of check, he can have the money in his pocket before he ships the ******* thing.

Cuz when he hands over the check to his bank & gets the $$, the bank won't confirm that the check is legit. It could take weeks for the check to officially clear and the bank will come back after him for the refund.