PDA

View Full Version : Car registration Question

Exitspeed
02-26-2009, 10:41 AM
I sold my 240 to some dude. The dude turns around and sells it some some other dude like 2 weeks later. The guy I sold it to did not register it.

I just got a message from the guy who bought it from the guy I sold it too saying "I'm having a hard time registering it because of the name being erased."

I just called the guy back and left him a message letting him know we'll get it taken care of.

Did the guy I sold the car to break any laws? Doesn't he have to register it before he can sell it?

88Nightmare
02-26-2009, 10:42 AM
technically he did, he "jumped" the title. Even if you sell a car two weeks later, you are still required to at least title it in your name, you dont necessarily have to get plates.

pOrk
02-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Yes, its illegal to sell a car that is not titled in your name. Not much you can do about it though, if you wanted to be a nice guy you would go to the dmv and get a replacement title and charge the guy only 100 bucks. Good to go. :)

Exitspeed
02-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Yes, its illegal to sell a car that is not titled in your name. Not much you can do about it though, if you wanted to be a nice guy you would go to the dmv and get a replacement title and charge the guy only 100 bucks. Good to go. :)

That's f*ckin gay. I could do that I guess.

What if I tell the dude 'tough shit' and tell him to make the guy that bought the car title it? Why should I have to spend any more time/money on making sure he can title the car? I suppose cause it's still titled in my name...?

88Nightmare
02-26-2009, 11:11 AM
problem with that is once you start erasing names and such on a title, the guy YOU sold it to might not be able to title it. they might give him crap about it at the DMV

94greenbandit
02-26-2009, 11:13 AM
So it should be that guys problem not ExitSpeeds

deuceWI
02-26-2009, 11:18 AM
If you want to make 2nd dudes life more miserable there's a "I don't own this vehicle anymore" form at the dmv you can fill out. It's useful to protect yourself in case a buyer does something stupid in the car while still technically registered to you.

In this case, if the 2nd buyer doesn't seem like a douche, I'd try to help him out and maybe make yourself a couple bucks on the side for your time and effort.

Exitspeed
02-26-2009, 11:22 AM
If you want to make 2nd dudes life more miserable there's a "I don't own this vehicle anymore" form at the dmv you can fill out. It's useful to protect yourself in case a buyer does something stupid in the car while still technically registered to you.

In this case, if the 2nd buyer doesn't seem like a douche, I'd try to help him out and maybe make yourself a couple bucks on the side for your time and effort.

Yea the second dude seems ok. I'll probably try and help him out.

Do you think it might be a good idea to fill out the "I don't own this car anymore" form in the mean time just in case?

88Nightmare
02-26-2009, 11:22 AM
the "I dont own this vehicle anymore" is simply a professional bill of sale form issued by the DMV

pOrk
02-26-2009, 11:23 AM
That's f*ckin gay. I could do that I guess.

What if I tell the dude 'tough shit' and tell him to make the guy that bought the car title it? Why should I have to spend any more time/money on making sure he can title the car? I suppose cause it's still titled in my name...?

You could do that too, but if it was me and the guy that has it now is cool, offer to do it for him but charge him for your time. Figure its going to be atleast 2 hours at the DMV at 40 bucks an hour, plus 20 bucks for the replacement title.

He was a dumb ass for buying a car with a title that has been messed with, so he needs to pay up.

88Nightmare
02-26-2009, 11:23 AM
So it should be that guys problem not ExitSpeeds

true, but it will become exitspeeds problem if the 3rd guy starts getting parking tickets and whatnot

deuceWI
02-26-2009, 11:30 AM
the "I dont own this vehicle anymore" is simply a professional bill of sale form issued by the DMV

The difference being, even if you have a bill of sale (something hand written even) and the buyer never registers the car, , , and then something happens and that car is involved, when the police run the VIN to find out who owns it, it will point back to you. You can present that bill of sale to prove it's not yours.

If you fill out the DMV's form, in the situation above, when Mr. Police Man runs the VIN it shows that you are no longer the owner of that vehicle. Less potential headaches.

(I'm pretty sure that's how things work, but there may be more to it.)

Windsors 03 Cobra
02-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Crazy that he called, most I know will just fill in the previous owners info as stated on the title, sign the name and get the new registration. :thumbsup

LIL EVO
02-26-2009, 03:32 PM
The DMV will never accept a title that has been "erased" or modified in any way shape or form.

I would go to the DMV with the new owner, get a replacement title for $30, sign the title over to the new owner, and turn in the initial title jumpers name, address, info, etc. Mission complete.

jbiscuit
02-26-2009, 03:34 PM
The DMV will never accept a title that has been "erased" or modified in any way shape or form.

I would go to the DMV with the new owner, get a replacement title for $30, sign the title over to the new owner, and turn in the initial title jumpers name, address, info, etc. Mission complete.

do this...done

MurphysLaw88GT
02-26-2009, 04:09 PM
The difference being, even if you have a bill of sale (something hand written even) and the buyer never registers the car, , , and then something happens and that car is involved, when the police run the VIN to find out who owns it, it will point back to you. You can present that bill of sale to prove it's not yours.

If you fill out the DMV's form, in the situation above, when Mr. Police Man runs the VIN it shows that you are no longer the owner of that vehicle. Less potential headaches.

(I'm pretty sure that's how things work, but there may be more to it.)

bingo

Exitspeed
02-26-2009, 06:01 PM

To the police or the DMV? I should call West Allis. Cause they would really give a shit. lol.

No, but seriously, I'll do that.

Mr Twigbert
02-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Heres my take on it..

The state of WI says upon purchsing a vehicle you shall 'immediately' title it in your name..

What does 'immediately' mean? I dunno because state statute doesn't say but my general rule is 10 days if you want to drive it..

Did the seller break any laws? I don't think so because if I'm not mistaking there are more than just 1 spaces for multiple sales on the back.. Am I right? If so, I think it's perfectly legal to sell it to someone else w/o ever getting it registered.. Although, I could be wrong.. Contrary to what most people think, I'm not the smartest (and best looking) guy on the boards.. :thumbsup

LIL EVO
02-26-2009, 11:53 PM
To the police or the DMV? I should call West Allis. Cause they would really give a shit. lol.

No, but seriously, I'll do that.

The DMV will take care of the seller through a letter or other course of action.

"Before you sell your vehicle
Have a vehicle title in your name.

* You must have a title to the vehicle in your name, even if you have never driven the vehicle. You can't sell a car that isn't titled to you, unless you have power of attorney from the titled owner, or you are a licensed dealer."

From: http://www.dot.wi.gov/safety/consumer/car/sellrite.htm

Car Guy
02-27-2009, 12:01 AM
The back side is for registered dealers only.....