PDA

View Full Version : City workers placing grill charcoal in large cut-out sections in the road ?

awsomeears
02-25-2009, 11:24 PM
The other day I could have swore I smelled that charcoal smell like in summer time when I was passing a cut-out section in the road. Plus I saw the heat waves in the air, well today I passed a different location and sure as shit the city of Milwaukee was loaded up with bags of grill charcoal :wow

Heating up the ground ?
Lunch time ?

What the hell are they doing :D

GRAMPS SS
02-25-2009, 11:26 PM
there heating up the ground to do the repair....plus i know a few city workers that make lunch as well....there should of been covers on the coals as well....

03CVLX
02-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Yes, they are called Ground thaws. We get calls every day for fires on the street corner. We have to explain what they are all the time. I think DPW should start putting up signs, although I doubt it would help.

Voodoo Chick
02-26-2009, 01:29 AM
What is the actual purpose of these?

awsomeears
02-26-2009, 01:55 AM
There are covers on the coals, they look like Half moons made out of stainless steel.

SSDude
02-26-2009, 05:16 AM
What is the actual purpose of these?

Thawing the ground before they dig:thumbsup Once you break through the frost it's easier to expand the hole.

juicedimpss
02-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Yes, they are called Ground thaws. We get calls every day for fires on the street corner. We have to explain what they are all the time. I think DPW should start putting up signs, although I doubt it would help.

a sign with a picture of a fire for the areas that cant read.
:rolf

jbiscuit
02-26-2009, 08:51 AM
"dood, watch out. Fire."

03CVLX
02-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Its so bad. Last year when the fire dept was doing Live burn training at one of the High rise buildings on the north side, there were anywhere from 8-15 fire trucks on the 'scene' and big signs that said Your Fire department is training' and we still got calls saying the buildings were on fire.

-stew-
02-26-2009, 10:11 AM
The cave people on the roads crews use charcoal, we have a gas grill in the shop. And we are working on getting an electric stove.

HRSEPLA
02-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Thawing the ground before they dig:thumbsup Once you break through the frost it's easier to expand the hole.

Bingo, our excavation crews will set a coal burn (underneath cut in half 55 gal. drums) to thaw the ground frost (up to a max of 4' deep sometimes) before an excavation, otherwise we have buckets with 'frost teeth' to get through the frozen ground (its as hard as concrete):thumbsup