PDA

View Full Version : recap of my snowmobile trip this past Jan

Cryptic
02-20-2004, 02:12 AM
I spent countless hours in the shop preping our sleds for our snowmobile trip in the Colorado Rockies.

We swapped out the stock rear suspension in my 89 Polaris 650 with a 98' suspension (which had to add like 8 inches of travel) Also upgrading the front end suspension as well. That invovled a crap load of fabrication too.

We sent out 3 of our hoods to get custom painted, black with ghost flames. Those came back with some disappointments, terrible finish work. Paint drips and overspray. Hardly any buffing done. Looked like ass.

I also rebuilt the motor. I fried it the previous season. I got forged pistons for X-mas w00t. As well as a port, bort and balance job. Ohh and new gaskets around.

Well on our way to Colorado, we ran into a snow storm. Some kid tried passing our 98' Dodge 1-ton dually pulling 40' enclosed trailer that had 4 of the 6 sleds in it. (we took 2 vehicles to CO). Well the kid spins out right in front of us. We slow down and swerve to avoid him and the truck/trailer just starts jack-knifing like crazy. We end up in the ditch and had to be pulled out. THe dodge got both fenders smashed to sh!t. The trailer bent all 4 rims. The kid paid for us to get towed out. He knew it was his fault and admitted it. We ended up in a hotel waiting mobile tire service on sunday morning to come replace the bent rims. (At least we caught the Packer game)

I later found out my hood that was just painted is now cracked on both sides from being smacked around in the trailer.

And then when we got to Colorado my sled blew a exciter coil the first day. No shops had a replacement in stock. My g/f rented 2 SkiDoos Rotax 500's which gave a real great ride.

Snow was beautiful. Our cabin was awesome. Still had a good time despeit the speed bumps.

the pistons
http://www.crypticvault.com/albums/polaris650rebuild/IMG_0290.sized.jpg

pics of the engine rebuild and suspension upgrade (http://www.crypticvault.com/gallery/polaris650rebuild?page=1)

Grand Lake, Colorado Pics (http://www.crypticvault.com/gallery/grandlake04)

JC70SS
02-20-2004, 10:07 AM
Great pics andy! Your son has a mini edge X? I wish I could have had one of those as a youngster.

Cryptic
02-20-2004, 03:00 PM
yup to match our 02 700 Edge :banana

whistlin six
02-20-2004, 06:56 PM
Sorry to hear about all the equiptment damage, that stinks.
What was the riding like in Wyoming? Did you do some off trail
fresh powder stuff? What were the trails like?

I've always gone up north and was wondering how it compares
to going out west to the mountains.

Mike

Cryptic
02-20-2004, 10:17 PM
I really like the scenery out on the mountains. It depends on the year... ya go were the snow is. I heard Krivitz just got 12 inches of fluff.

There's alot of prep to get ready in the mountains. rejetting the carbs and changing the clutch weights in all the sleds is a pain.

Your sleds are not a quite as fast in the thin air.

Flight_740
02-23-2004, 10:09 PM
HAHAHA, I don't mean to laugh but thats how I remember snowmobiling, Always a problem somewhere.

Cryptic
02-23-2004, 11:15 PM
never stops, always something :fire

whistlin six
02-24-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Blown_Gtp
HAHAHA, I don't mean to laugh but thats how I remember snowmobiling, Always a problem somewhere.

lol, I thought my wife was high maintenance until I got my
Polaris. Sleds are subjected to some pretty harsh conditions
so I can understand why they have problems.

I'm leaving mine bone stock, or else I'd never get out of the
garage.