PDA

View Full Version : Do you cancel your insurance in Winter?

BoosTT
02-23-2009, 08:47 PM
I've been hearing more about people canceling there one year prorated insurance when it gets too cold to ride. Has anyone here done it? To what insurance company? Did they cancel you or anything? How much did you get back/save?

Waver
02-23-2009, 08:51 PM
nope I just got storage insurance on the car durion winter and full coverage on the truck

Breecher_7
02-23-2009, 08:54 PM
nope I just got storage insurance on the car durion winter and full coverage on the truck

No one cares about your car, this is the bike section.... :rolf :chair:

Storage insurance only......

0TransAm0
02-23-2009, 08:59 PM
i put it down to comprehensive only...basically storage insurance. it went from 65 a month to about 15 a month....

PonyKiller87
02-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Yeah just have them drop it down to fire & theft or storage, its all the same thing just different names depending on the company you go through. I think fire and theft for a year on my bike is about $20 and for my car its about $35 every 6 months. Definatly worth the money in case it gets stolen.

BoosTT
02-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Does the insurance company give you a hard time about doing this? What do you tell them, since they "pro-rated" your policy? In theory, you should be paying much more during the summer months and less during the winter; however, they lump it all into one yearly bill. I would be nervious about not being able to get bike coverage again in the summer.

0TransAm0
02-23-2009, 09:13 PM
pay month to month instead of a year at a time...or when you do pay for the full year set a date that your going to park it and take it out in the spring so they can figure it out....

i payed month to month..the insurance company didn't give me any grief about it(state farm) but the credit uniun that i had the loan threw did...they wanted me to have full coverage at all times...i told them i did it was just differant and had to get a letter from the insurance company to send them...(to prove i still had coverage)

PonyKiller87
02-23-2009, 09:16 PM
The way state farm does it is the price they give you is for full coverage then they credit you back when you drop down to storage. Then when you put it back up depending where your at you might owe them a little. It all works out, you pay for the time you have coverage.

0TransAm0
02-23-2009, 09:28 PM
^^exactly

BoosTT
02-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks. This really clears it up. Did you need state farm to say anything specific in the letter for the loan or was it a standard issue letter? How much of a hassle was it?

Al
03-04-2009, 01:24 PM
I've been hearing more about people canceling there one year prorated insurance when it gets too cold to ride. Has anyone here done it? To what insurance company? Did they cancel you or anything? How much did you get back/save?

NEVER!!!

I buy my insurance for the whole year. If I canceled it for the winter, I would have saved $25. I kept it because I could not predict if someone would steal it or someone would back into it.

Holeshot
03-04-2009, 01:32 PM
The way my wife pulls in to the garage, Not a chance.

claimsman
03-14-2009, 11:36 PM
State Farm's program drops to $1 per month in the winter with my old bike