PDA

View Full Version : linksys router firewall help

That_Guy
02-23-2009, 05:28 PM
here is the deal my younger brother as been up until 1:30 in the morning on my space and aim chatting with his friends. i own the the wireless router that he runs his wireless networking off of. typically i wouldn't have a problem with this but he is keeping me up at night and its getting really old. so.. today i went to lock those sites he would frequent would be blocked well all it did was every website. its weird..do i have to actually select the ip address of the computer he is on to just ban access of those websites on his computer?

88Nightmare
02-23-2009, 05:34 PM
why dont you just set timer restrictions on the router? you can set it so it doesnt allow internet access at certain times.

That_Guy
02-23-2009, 05:40 PM
why dont you just set timer restrictions on the router? you can set it so it doesnt allow internet access at certain times.

thats also giving me shit though.. it wont let me set it from 9 at night to 6 in the morning..

Myles
02-23-2009, 05:46 PM
unplug the router.

That_Guy
02-23-2009, 05:51 PM
unplug the router.

i dont want to have to unplug it every night

WhatsADSM
02-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Just configure it to block his mac address

That_Guy
02-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Just configure it to block his mac address

how do i get his mac address?

Rocket Power
02-23-2009, 06:09 PM
i dont want to have to unplug it every night

Buy a timer from the hardware store like people use for their lights when on vacation

WhatsADSM
02-23-2009, 06:14 PM

Most routers will have an area where you can view all the computers which are currently connected to the router.

So go to the page and it will typically show the IP address of all the computers and the cooresponding MAC address.

Then simply figure out which one of the addresses is his by process of elimination, figuring out which of the other IP Address/MAC addresses are "good" ones that you want to allow.

To get the mac address of your good computers do the following:
- Open the windows command prompt (Start-->Run then type "cmd")
- In the command prompt type "ipconfig /all" it will show you the ip address and MAC address of that computer (ipconfig shows it at "Physical Address")

So take the list you got from your router which shows everyone online. Then cross off each of the good ip address/mac addreses you got from each computer. The one remaining is the one you want to block (i.e. your brother)

70 cutlass 442
02-23-2009, 06:14 PM
/\/\ unless the kid is 100% dumb, he will figure that one out pretty quick

WhatsADSM
02-23-2009, 06:18 PM
/\/\ unless the kid is 100% dumb, he will figure that one out pretty quick

Figure out blocking the MAC address? Well yea of course he will, that is part of the point, he is trying to block him from using his shit.

Even so once he figures it out there isn't much he can do.

OP: You can also change your wireless encryption key or pass-phrase, that will also stop him from connecting.

lordairgtar
02-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Just tell him to get the fuck off the computer and go to bed.:devil

That_Guy
02-23-2009, 07:07 PM
thanks fella's got it figured out via whatsadsm...

i owe ya a beer

Poncho
02-23-2009, 10:30 PM

since myles hasn't said it yet.....

Just kill yourself now.

Rocket Power
02-23-2009, 10:36 PM
You could use this device on his computer :rolf:rolf:rolf

http://www.warwicksu.com/asset/event/4004/sledgehammer.jpg

That_Guy
02-23-2009, 11:21 PM
since myles hasn't said it yet.....

Just kill yourself now.

im sorry im not an I.T. guy. i know enough to get by.. i managed to solve my problem via what help i got.

thank you for your input.. ill take your very constructive post into consideration.. :rolleyes:

Poncho
02-24-2009, 02:42 PM
I was completely kidding, I am honestly sorry if for any reason I caused you undue duress.

94greenbandit
02-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Make sure he doesn't have access to your router to be able to switch that back to his advantage and screw you over

That_Guy
02-24-2009, 03:23 PM
I was completely kidding, I am honestly sorry if for any reason I caused you undue duress.

i wasnt after i read your post i went and hid in the closet under the basement stairs in my house with a 12ga in hand weighing the worth of my life..

im kidding

That_Guy
02-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Make sure he doesn't have access to your router to be able to switch that back to his advantage and screw you over

i changed the admin password.. and i have a key lock on my door.

94greenbandit
02-25-2009, 09:06 AM
i changed the admin password.. and i have a key lock on my door.

Hopefully he can't figure it out. The key lock on the door won't help since he can get it through the web browser unless you completely cut him off