PDA

View Full Version : Power Window Installers?

mandee
02-21-2009, 12:01 AM
I am looking to get power windows, and possibly power locks installed. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of who to go to in SE WI to get it done? Or at least get parts from.

Thanks so much!!

Holeshot
02-21-2009, 09:32 AM
If the car didn't come factory with them its going to be pricey.Very labor intensive. It can be done but fabricating wiring harness , installing switches and finding window regulators that will fit could be a expense you may not want to under take.

lordairgtar
02-21-2009, 09:47 AM
The main trunk of the harness has inputs for the switch harness on most cars. You have to find that. Find the same car equipped with power windows at the salvage yard and pull those out, although that is gonna be real hard on some cars. Yer gonna need the interior bits that the switches sit in, the harness, and the regulator. Years ago there was a kit that had the motor and gearing in a small box about the size of a ciggy pack. It just slid onto the winder shaft and you routed the wiring through a hole you drilled into the door (behind the mechanism of course) aand wired it through the normal places. In a similar vein, the steering wheel radio controls are just as easy to put in. The harness is already there, you just need to get the switch and harness from the dealer and plug it in after removing the old plate and putting in the new one with the switches...well it works for most GMs anyway.

mandee
02-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks guys. My boyfriend was originally going to do it for me, and besides the time he would have to put into it, he thought it was a do able project. But I was thinking of making it easier on him and having someone else do it, but maybe I should just stick to the original plans.

RanJer
02-21-2009, 01:22 PM
What kind of car?