PDA

View Full Version : I NEED pistol advice

That_Guy
02-20-2009, 04:44 PM
ok well my 21 birthday is about 2 weeks away.. im pretty excited about getting my first pistol but im not sure which one i want to settle with. all the pistols i have shot ive narrowed it down to 3 of them most of them within the same price range. i know there are a few gun people on here so i figured i would ask you fellas about your feelings on certain frames and companies.

here are a few of them im looking at. my main requirement stopping power and easy to work with as far as upholstering,shooting,cleaning. im looking at medium frame pistols.

all suggestions are welcome! ive got 2 weeks till my birthday and i plan on going out and testing a few more pistols to make sure i have the right fit.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=14&category=Pistol
http://www.taurususa.com/images/imagesMain/101SS-11.jpg

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?model=4

http://www.xdpistols.com/DisplayPic.aspx?PIC=45745

the walther p99 i found at a small gun shop used its in really good shape its in a s&w 40
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/Walther/upload/images/firearms/WAP78011.jpg

STANMAN
02-20-2009, 04:52 PM
If you're looking at a 92, get a Beretta, don't buy the knock off. As far as the Walther, blah, not my thing in general. The XD is a nice gun, I would try a Glock as well.

That_Guy
02-20-2009, 04:57 PM
If you're looking at a 92, get a Beretta, don't buy the knock off. As far as the Walther, blah, not my thing in general. The XD is a nice gun, I would try a Glock as well.

my moms got a glock subcompact its ok.. i like the xd's more so then a glock.

if i end up buying a beretta then im going to buy this bad boy.

https://www.berettausa.com/img_catalog/Cx4_Storm_L.jpg

STANMAN
02-20-2009, 05:02 PM
my moms got a glock subcompact its ok.. i like the xd's more so then a glock.

if i end up buying a beretta then im going to buy this bad boy.

https://www.berettausa.com/img_catalog/Cx4_Storm_L.jpg

I have one of those. Fun little toy, takes 92 mags. Mine has an EoTech on it, which makes it even more fun.

I would suggest trying a 1911 as well. Usually it's love or hate the angle instantly, so it's something that's easy to know whether you will like it or not without even shooting it.

And I wouldn't buy a Taurus auto, I have seen way to many come back. Know what to look for in a used Beretta and spend the same amount of money, but never have the problems. And the mags are cheaper and easier to come by for the Beretts (they CAN be made to fit a Taurus, they use a different location for the magazine latch, so you have to dremel a new hole)

MurphysLaw88GT
02-20-2009, 09:01 PM
1911. you will be glad you did

That_Guy
02-20-2009, 09:16 PM
1911. you will be glad you did

im looking for something some what more compact. i have been looking at compact 1911 models but there in the 1,200 dollar range.

MurphysLaw88GT
02-20-2009, 10:13 PM
just say you are happy to see them

That_Guy
02-20-2009, 10:43 PM
just say you are happy to see them

what?

HITMAN
02-21-2009, 06:54 AM
Glocks are reliable, but have shitty triggers out of the box and an aweful magazine release. The XD trigger is better and the gun has a better safety system and (IMO) is more user friendly. The XDm version also has a "match grade barrel" (their words, not mine) and a grip that can be adjusted to fit your hand.

The Walther P99 is a nice gun, especially the Anti-Stress (AS) version you have pictured. It has a great trigger for an out of the box pistol, an adjustable grip and an adjustable rear sight. James Bond uses one for crying out loud, what more do you need to know?:D
I, myself, would stay away from a Beretta model 92 or any copies. Not a fan of exposed barrel autos.

John Browning's model 1911 is an awesome design, but getting mighty pricey these days. But... [Ferris Bueller] It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up. [/Ferris Bueller] :shades

Lash
02-21-2009, 08:51 AM
1911 FTW. That'll be my next pistol.

UnderPSI
02-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Most indoor ranges will let you rent pistols fairly cheap. Might be a good idea to try what you are interested in before you buy.

Rocket Power
02-21-2009, 09:56 AM
^ what he said
Try before you buy, wasn't there someone here that laid out HK money then didn't like it and was selling it?
I know shooters shop on 84th had rentals, most places do.

Breecher_7
02-21-2009, 10:26 AM
XD or Walther.... That taurus can go in the garbage can.....

73Dustr
02-21-2009, 05:02 PM
I would check out the Walther or the XD. I have an XD and love it. I know a lot of guys on here own XDs and are extremely satisfied. I also think going and renting some at Shooter's shop would be a good idea. At least get out to a shop and handle the different guns. In the end, you have to get what you feel the most comfortable handling.

STANMAN
02-21-2009, 05:07 PM
^ what he said
Try before you buy, wasn't there someone here that laid out HK money then didn't like it and was selling it?
I know shooters shop on 84th had rentals, most places do.

I didn't see a used HK for sale on here. Did I miss a good deal, that would make me sad, especially on an HK!!!!

HRSEPLA
02-21-2009, 05:21 PM
I've rented every gun at the Shooter's shop and Fletcher's just to try them, I ended up buying a Springfield XDM 9mm and a Springfield .45 1911 Loaded model. They were the ones I liked the best and had good feedback from people.

Lash
02-21-2009, 07:06 PM
If youre going to get an XD....spend a little more and get the XDM

Rocket Power
02-21-2009, 07:36 PM
I was at sportmans warehouse today, if you want XD's they have them, everything else was way picked over, hardly any Glocks, a few 1911's no M&P's left. Apparently the XD cult isn't buying enough:rolf
Handgun ammo was almost all gone there:stare

I bought a CZ82 today and wanted to buy ammo for it, but I ain't paying $25/box for it.

Lash
02-21-2009, 07:42 PM
I was at sportmans warehouse today, if you want XD's they have them, everything else was way picked over, hardly any Glocks, a few 1911's no M&P's left. Apparently the XD cult isn't buying enough:rolf
Handgun ammo was almost all gone there:stare

I bought a CZ82 today and wanted to buy ammo for it, but I ain't paying $25/box for it.

How much did you pay for the CZ?

Rocket Power
02-21-2009, 07:43 PM
I didn't see a used HK for sale on here. Did I miss a good deal, that would make me sad, especially on an HK!!!!I don't remember if it was a good deal, I remember the gun being pretty new.

Found it.

http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26940&highlight=mags

Rocket Power
02-21-2009, 07:45 PM
How much did you pay for the CZ?$206+tax and background, so like 225 all together. It's someone on here's fault I bought it, :rolf I will let him reveal himself. It was cheaper than i can order one from one of the wholesalers with shipping.

Lash
02-21-2009, 07:48 PM
$206+tax and background, so like 225 all together. It's someone on here's fault I bought it, :rolf I will let him reveal himself. It was cheaper than i can order one from one of the wholesalers with shipping.

Wow...thats pretty cheap. Do they have any more? lol

Rocket Power
02-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Last one in Waukesha, they had one in Kenosha as of last night at 745 when I put it on hold, i had them check in case they had more in Wauk so I could choose, but I got the last one. So now I have to wait till tues (have school monday night) to Czech it out more:rolf

MurphysLaw88GT
02-22-2009, 05:05 PM
I was amazed at the accuracy of my CZ-82. Shot it in Dousman today. We were goofing around, and a burn pile quite a ways away and we were hitting what we were aiming at pretty well. I had some Hornady 95 grain JHP/XTP and it had very low manageable recoil and was crazy accurate for how small it was (3.5 inch barrel). It is funny to look down the barrel, the Polygonal rifling looks like a smooth bore. Very well made, all steel. Best 206$ I ever spent on a pistol.

Rocket Power
02-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Where did you buy ammo for it? Sportsmans had 2 boxes of American eagle for 25 ea and Gander had 1 box of blazer for 25. I was hoping to find some brown/silver bear or wolf to throw through it cheap. I've heard good things about the Hornady.

That_Guy
02-23-2009, 07:30 PM
any good things on bersa firearms.. ? that or para ordnance

Taetsch Z-24
02-23-2009, 07:53 PM
My Rock Island Officers 1911 only cost 425.....

Love 1911's!

Chris

That_Guy
02-23-2009, 07:57 PM
My Rock Island Officers 1911 only cost 425.....

Love 1911's!

Chris

i like the 1911's also but i want something for conceal carry "just in case" im trying to get my hands on a compact 1911 like the para ordance warthog.. something i can carry a fullsize 1911 is kinda hard to hide

Taetsch Z-24
02-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Hence the officers 1911....

Smaller then a XD....

Chris

That_Guy
02-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Hence the officers 1911....

Smaller then a XD....

Chris

ill have to look into it.. :thumbsup

ND4SPD
02-23-2009, 09:46 PM
IMHO, if you want a 9MM... you can find HK P7 PSPs for around $500 right now. They have a squeeze cocker which is great for point and shoot. The only downside to the PSP vs the more expensive P7M8 is the location of the mag release. It's on the butt instead of under the trigger guard. I think shooter's shop had one, but they probably wanted too much for it (like most of their stuff). I also really like the P99's, but I'm personally looking for a 1st Gen one in 9MM. The ergonomics on the Walther are stellar... I fell in love with it the first time I held one. Also, don't overlook a Walther P22. Lot's of fun to shoot, and cheap too.

xopher
02-24-2009, 05:54 PM
+1 on renting first and buying later. I love shooting at Fletcher more than Shooter's Shop, but Shooter's Shop has a better selection to rent from. I went to Shooter's Shop twice and the range was about 32F. Do they not heat their range? Or was the furnace broken when I went?

Anyways, get a 1911 in .45ACP and a .22LR of whatever strikes your fancy. .45ACP can get pricey, but a day at someone's farm shooting cabbages or whatever is awesome. And get a .22LR if you want to plink all day on the cheap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol

That_Guy
02-24-2009, 06:23 PM
im look at getting a compact 1911..

UnderPSI
02-24-2009, 06:27 PM
I went to Shooter's Shop twice and the range was about 32F. Do they not heat their range? Or was the furnace broken when I went?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol

That's just how it is there. You almost have to wear a hat and gloves when you go.

Rocket Power
02-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Better than sweating you ass off.
:goof

u_say_go
02-24-2009, 08:39 PM
i like the 1911's also but i want something for conceal carry "just in case" im trying to get my hands on a compact 1911 like the para ordance warthog.. something i can carry a fullsize 1911 is kinda hard to hide

(thinking to myself) "I hope this car_nimrod dude doesn't actually get a handgun!"

You've got the worst case of A.D.D ever, dude! Every couple of days you're going to build or buy something different. You're building a hunting stand with some telephone poles, building a mustang and switching it from carb to efi, making some carbon fiber junk for you car, catching pedophiles, buying snap-on toolbox, you've got copywrite infringements on you, buying an AK for your girlfriend, now you want a handgun that you can hide....
Pick a topic and stick with it for a day or two bro! :thumbsup

That_Guy
02-24-2009, 09:09 PM
(thinking to myself) "I hope this car_nimrod dude doesn't actually get a handgun!"

You've got the worst case of A.D.D ever, dude! Every couple of days you're going to build or buy something different. You're building a hunting stand with some telephone poles, building a mustang and switching it from carb to efi, making some carbon fiber junk for you car, catching pedophiles, buying snap-on toolbox, you've got copywrite infringements on you, buying an AK for your girlfriend, now you want a handgun that you can hide....
Pick a topic and stick with it for a day or two bro! :thumbsup

hahaha. well.. i have hobbies.. i really hate sitting around and not doing anything boredom drives me. so ill try to respond the best way that i can

"You're building a hunting stand with some telephone poles"
yes im building a quite awesome hunting stand this spring. in fact i believe by fall there should be about 5 of them up..

"building a mustang and switching it from carb to efi"

its saying carbed

"buying snap-on toolbox"
i havent found a tool box i like yet.

:"you've got copywrite infringements on you,"

yeah.. that was resolved with me taking the video off the internet

"buying an AK for your girlfriend"

i ended up buying a tapco stock for one of my 3 sks's with a cheaper front mount point and shoot red dot site. its going to be a gift for her birthday in march

"now you want a handgun that you can hide"

this is true:goof:goof:goof

MurphysLaw88GT
02-24-2009, 09:21 PM

i ended up buying a tapco stock for one of my 3 sks's with a cheaper front mount point and shoot red dot site. its going to be a gift for her birthday in march

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o

That_Guy
02-24-2009, 09:41 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o

if it makes you feel any better it wasnt the para trooper. :rolf

PureSound15
03-11-2009, 09:47 AM
"You're building a hunting stand with some telephone poles"
yes im building a quite awesome hunting stand this spring. in fact i believe by fall there should be about 5 of them up..

As stated in your bullshit thread that nobody responded to because they don't like you; I can't wait to burn them down

"building a mustang and switching it from carb to efi"

its saying carbed

I'll crush you (As long as you don't wreck it before then)

"buying snap-on toolbox"
i havent found a tool box i like yet.

They're boxes... with drawers. There are different colors. You can't possibly have enough tools to require a "unique" box.

:"you've got copywrite infringements on you,"

yeah.. that was resolved with me taking the video off the internet

Nobody cares

What's his name?

"now you want a handgun that you can hide"

this is true:goof:goof:goof

You're probably going to need it

That_Guy
03-11-2009, 09:50 AM
As stated in your bullshit thread that nobody responded to because they don't like you; I can't wait to burn them down
I'll crush you (As long as you don't wreck it before then)
They're boxes... with drawers. There are different colors. You can't possibly have enough tools to require a "unique" box.
Nobody cares
What's his name?
You're probably going to need it

listen pal im not gay. i know you like to go out of your way and follow me from thread to thread posting things in them but this man crush you have for me is getting just plain strange. seek mental help. also please stop sending me pm's with pictures of you spreading your ass cheeks

Myles
03-11-2009, 09:57 AM
listen pal im not gay. i know you like to go out of your way and follow me from thread to thread posting things in them but this man crush you have for me is getting just plain strange. seek metal help. also please stop sending me pm's with pictures of you spreading your ass cheeks

metal health?

Ministry? Metallica? Iron Maiden?

That_Guy
03-11-2009, 09:58 AM
metal health?

Ministry? Metallica? Iron Maiden?

edit quiet riot

Rocket Power
03-11-2009, 11:56 AM
vJChh7ghGnE