PDA

View Full Version : WHO is the SHOE expert...???

Car Guy
02-18-2009, 01:17 PM
I need to purchase some new shoes, however I'm 'in the dark' when it comes to shoes in general. The main use will be 'everyday' walking but I would also like to use them for tennis, racquetball, biking, running, ass-whooping, etc. If it's better for me to have one pair for everyday use and then one for sport related activity I will get two pairs. I don't have an issue spending the $$$ on some quality shoes but will only do so IF THEY ARE WORTH THE EXTRA $$$. I could care less what name is on them, I just want some really nice shoes that will serve me well......

Any input is much appreciated...!!! :dance

~Justin :)

SlowMotion
02-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Justin,
Running Outfitters in Brookfield in Ruby Isle. It is off of Calhoun (spelling?) Trae and Jessica are the owners and deal directly with the gym I train at. Tell them you are a Westwood Member and you will get a 10% discount off the top. They are top notch and know everything that you will ever need to know about shoes :)

Tim

-stew-
02-18-2009, 02:14 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ISfdjN1aTE4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ISfdjN1aTE4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Call Dr. Shoe

555-SHOE

MurphysLaw88GT
02-18-2009, 09:21 PM
There is a store on Bluemound near Fridays that is called Fleet Feet and the fit shoes for your feet..they range from $80-$125 but they are awesome at getting whats best for you.

SlowMotion
02-18-2009, 10:23 PM
I agree that fleet feet is good, I have used the brookfield store as well as clients of mine. After visiting Running Outfitters, I have recommended that all of my clients that run and are looking for shoes go there, as I would have to say they are the best around. If you can get into a Asics Gel Kayana 15, if it is the correct shoe for you I wouldn't hesitate at all when buying. They are arguably the best running shoe out there for overpronators. Meaning when your foot strikes it rolls inward, and most of your weight is transferred to the arch of your foot. If you have a neutral gait, there are countless shoes for you. Supinators are less common and roll outward when running and put the majority of their weight on the outside of the foot and typically running stores will put you into a stability or motion control shoe. Good luck on the shoe search Justin. :thumbsup

lordairgtar
02-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Wow, didn't think that shoe buying was such a science. All I know is that you never buy shoes at Payless.

JC70SS
02-18-2009, 11:46 PM
running shoes for tennis or racquetball= broken ankle. No lateral support.

Get some cross trainers and the running stores don't carry them.

DirtyMax
02-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Get yourself some Chuck Taylors and call it a day. Most versatile shoe evar. I've see them on everyone from basketball players to grooms and all folks in between.

Prince Valiant
02-19-2009, 12:07 AM
I definitely would get two separate pairs of shoes...

With the "everyday pair," unless you have an exceptional foot type, just get something comfortable and supportive. A good, thick sole that resist excessive flexing, but provides decent cushioning is best...and these are an easy type to find in most any store.

As far as the sport shoe, if you're going for a wide variety of activity, it depends then on the amount of activity you plan on pursuing...if you're going to run *alot* AND play *alot*, then you're best bet is to get two seperate pairs of shoes...cross trainers or regular basketball shoes are great for racquetball/tennis/basketball/lifting weights...but at best they are a compromise for the running. Likewise, if running alot, a running shoe won't live up to the abuse of that you'll dish out with the R-ball/tennis/etc activity...

It's a little more expensive, but pays off in the long run.

Also, keep to these rules:

-never "step out" of your activity of your sport shoes...it ruins the supportive "heel counter" built into them, which is supposed to help the shoe do it's job of providing support and controlling foot motion. Untie, pull-off like a grown-up.
-Replace your activity shoes a minimum of every 6 months...for running, a general rule-of-thumb is 5 mo/500 miles max.
-Only use the activity shoe for the activity you purchased it for...you'll accelerate the wear and tear, thus dramatically shortening the useful life of the shoe if you wear them out-and-about frequently. I always say that when you do replace the activity shoe, THEN it can be retired to everyday use rather effectively.

As a general rule, I only recommend shoes when I can actually *see* the person's foot and gait...then I generally can recommend a shoe and sometimes even over-the-counter orthotics such as spenco's. Though, in general if running and over 200lbs, I do like to put runners in Brooks "Beast" running shoes...built for motion control (pronators), and heavy ones at that.

Car Guy
02-19-2009, 07:19 AM
Thank you for the info/advice guys, I will let you know what I find.....:thumbsup

SlowMotion
02-19-2009, 10:27 AM
I definitely would get two separate pairs of shoes...

With the "everyday pair," unless you have an exceptional foot type, just get something comfortable and supportive. A good, thick sole that resist excessive flexing, but provides decent cushioning is best...and these are an easy type to find in most any store.

As far as the sport shoe, if you're going for a wide variety of activity, it depends then on the amount of activity you plan on pursuing...if you're going to run *alot* AND play *alot*, then you're best bet is to get two seperate pairs of shoes...cross trainers or regular basketball shoes are great for racquetball/tennis/basketball/lifting weights...but at best they are a compromise for the running. Likewise, if running alot, a running shoe won't live up to the abuse of that you'll dish out with the R-ball/tennis/etc activity...

Asics gel evolution 3's are also a comparable choice to "the beast". I have the Evolutions and use them for everyday use when on my feet at work. The Kayano Gel 15's are used for running, along with Superfeet green inserts.
It's a little more expensive, but pays off in the long run.

Also, keep to these rules:

-never "step out" of your activity of your sport shoes...it ruins the supportive "heel counter" built into them, which is supposed to help the shoe do it's job of providing support and controlling foot motion. Untie, pull-off like a grown-up.
-Replace your activity shoes a minimum of every 6 months...for running, a general rule-of-thumb is 5 mo/500 miles max.
-Only use the activity shoe for the activity you purchased it for...you'll accelerate the wear and tear, thus dramatically shortening the useful life of the shoe if you wear them out-and-about frequently. I always say that when you do replace the activity shoe, THEN it can be retired to everyday use rather effectively.

As a general rule, I only recommend shoes when I can actually *see* the person's foot and gait...then I generally can recommend a shoe and sometimes even over-the-counter orthotics such as spenco's. Though, in general if running and over 200lbs, I do like to put runners in Brooks "Beast" running shoes...built for motion control (pronators), and heavy ones at that.

subliminal1284
02-19-2009, 03:08 PM
I heard this guy is a shoe expert

http://ahbvp.yuzde52.org/images/aday/bundy.jpg

Windsors 03 Cobra
02-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Probably start with a Adidas Superstar 2.

1320PNY
02-19-2009, 10:16 PM
I like the Reebok Walk II DMX for "walking" or standing around on concrete (i.e. car shows).

I think Earth shoes are good due to the negative heel. You actually stretch your calves and keep your back straight. If you can find some nice leather ones for daily use, these are great. Unfortunately they tend to look like therapy shoes.

I used to like Rockport, but the quality has seemed to go to hell over the past 3 years I have bought them. I bought some Ecco and they seem narrow and I tend to get cramped feet.

To be honest, my most comfortable pair of shoes are not shoes, but Timberland Pro Boots. I bought the waterproof boots with Titanium toe and got some carbon fiber inserts from Champs. I wear these 16 hours a day, even standing in 6" of water and my feet are dry and comfy. They are brown leather and easy to upkeep. These are so comfy I wear them on weekends too, but not the most stylish option.