View Full Version : Stallis open carry guy NOT GUILTY

Rocket Power
02-17-2009, 07:18 PM
:banana1::banana1::banana1::banana1::banana1:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/39722082.html

West Allis man not guilty in open carry gun case
By Linda Spice of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Feb. 17, 2009 12:26 p.m.

A West Allis municipal judge today ruled in favor of a local man arrested for disorderly conduct after a neighbor complained that he was carrying a gun while planting a tree.

Judge Paul Murphy found Brad Krause not guilty of disorderly conduct in a case that drew to a hearing numerous gun rights advocates to witness what may be the first open carry gun case heard in a Wisconsin courtroom.

For Krause, however, the significance of the case extended beyond gun rights: It was an infringement on civil liberties, he said after today's decision.

"The reason people are upset about this is it's not about guns. It's about civil liberties. And we obviously have a property issue. There was no warrant issued, no exigent circumstances, no permission to enter the property, yet the police stormed in with guns drawn and put my life at risk," Krause said. "My wife was very worried that she would be a widow in short order because I was planting a tree."

West Allis Police Chief Mike Jungbluth could not be reached for comment this afternoon.

West Allis Assistant City Attorney Jenna Merten, who prosecuted the case, was in trial today and was unavailable for comment. City Attorney Scott Post declined to comment because he had not yet learned the basis for the judge's decision, he said.

West Allis police responded to Krause's home last August after a neighbor called to ask about the legality of him openly carrying a gun in a holster on his property. Police responded, arrested Krause and ticketed him for disorderly conduct, an offense he and his attorney, Steven Cain, fought during a court trial in December. Police also seized his gun.

Cain said today, "The big overarching issue is whether open carry is legal. The law in Wisconsin really only limits concealed carry. The law in Wisconsin, as we see it, is that open carry is absolutely legal, protected, and should be."

Cain argued that the U.S. Supreme Court last summer in the case of D.C. vs. Heller concluded that open carry is "an individual right that shouldn't be abridged by law enforcement. That's what the case is generally all about."

In explaining why he was carrying a gun while planting a tree, Krause said, "There's no requirement to justify why you're able to exercise constitutional rights. I and everyone else are able to go to church, they're able to vote, they're able to speak their mind. Even though the city might not like it, we have that right."

The case is also one that has been watched closely around the country, particularly by the co-founders of the Virginia-based OpenCarry.org, John Pierce and Mike Stollenwerk.

Said Pierce: "Really, the larger issue is not even a gun rights issue. It's the issue of having a disorderly conduct statute that is a catchall statute for otherwise legal behavior."

Holeshot
02-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Thats Fvcking Awesome. Good for him and His attorney. Time to start open packing boys. Hwy 100 open carry law.

Reverend Cooper
02-17-2009, 07:27 PM
******* a right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rocket Power
02-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Although I live in Stallis, I wouldn't do what he did............................................... .........................I wouldn't plant trees in my yard:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

Russ Jerome
02-17-2009, 07:57 PM
Sherrif on one side of me and a MPD guy on the other, there is a
"pretty good chance" if any of us are planting trees we're not to
worried about the others place being robbed.

Great to here a posotive outcome given the present state of things.

That_Guy
02-17-2009, 08:54 PM
i was at work and i had to high five my pops when i found out..

PB86MCSS
02-17-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm all for the ruling but what was he carrying a gun for when planting a tree or any yard work? :durr

His answer of was just avoiding the question.

UnderPSI
02-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Just bought a thigh holster. You have to make sure not even a little part of your shirt or coat is covering even a bit of the gun or it can be considered concealed. So be careful if you are going to start carrying. Either tuck the shirt in or thigh holster. :usa

badass88gt
02-17-2009, 09:24 PM
So wait, its illegal to carry a gun that is hidden on you but it is legal to carry a gun in plain sight? I did not know that.

badass88gt
02-17-2009, 09:25 PM
what was he carrying a gun for when planting a tree or any yard work? :durr

Because he can.

LIL EVO
02-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Sweet. What does it matter why he was carrying? Planting a tree, mowing his lawn, laying out and getting a sun tan, a criminal doesn't care what you're doing.

SSDude
I'm all for the ruling but what was he carrying a gun for when planting a tree or any yard work? :durr

His answer of was just avoiding the question.

Doesn't matter what your doing this says it all.:thumbsup

"There's no requirement to justify why you're able to exercise constitutional rights.

LIL EVO
So wait, its illegal to carry a gun that is hidden on you but it is legal to carry a gun in plain sight? I did not know that.

You do now!! :goof

Crawlin
02-17-2009, 09:32 PM
in WI???? this guy got off.... and he lives in WI???

no ******* way!!! my opinion of WI just got raised a notch... up to notch 1 !!!

LIL EVO
02-17-2009, 09:34 PM
He'd probably be in jail if it happened in Madison

PB86MCSS
02-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Should of know I'd get the gun folks up in arms with my comment :goof .

I'll have to get one and carry it around while I do yardwork too now.

I'd expect if I was carrying around a sword in my yard people would question it too, doesn't matter if its legal or not.

Rocket Power
02-17-2009, 09:47 PM
The guy must have an ass for a neighboor, I clean my rifles onthe back porch , my neighboor just walks over and asks about them.:headbang

MurphysLaw88GT
02-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Hell ****** yeah...bout time!

Rocket Power
02-17-2009, 09:50 PM
in WI???? this guy got off.... and he lives in WI???

no ******* way!!! my opinion of WI just got raised a notch... up to notch 1 !!!I'll like it more when we get CCW like 48 other states

That_Guy
02-17-2009, 09:52 PM
The guy must have an ass for a neighboor, I clean my rifles onthe back porch , my neighboor just walks over and asks about them.:headbang

i live in the country so my nearest neighbor is about 40 acres away. during the summer i sit on the front porch with a spotted cow and a 410 protecting the bird feeder from cow birds and grackles.:rolf

moels
02-17-2009, 09:55 PM
My neighbors wouldn't bat an eye if I was in the yard with a pistol strapped on. They know me well enough. I've been tempted for awhile to walk the dog with one strapped to see what would happen. Not sure if I want to go through the trouble that may ensue though.

LIL EVO
02-17-2009, 10:00 PM
I'll have to get one and carry it around while I do yardwork too now.

I'd expect if I was carrying around a sword in my yard people would question it too, doesn't matter if its legal or not.

:rolf:rolf

I lol'd

Lash
02-17-2009, 10:04 PM
I'll like it more when we get CCW like 48 other states

Got that right!

lordairgtar
02-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Saw people on the news interviewed about that. Some geezer with a Kaizer Wilhelm moustache kept yelling "He had no right...no right". Well, my friend, yes he did have that right. Now go back to watching Wheel Of Fortune.

-stew-
02-18-2009, 01:00 AM
Heard a quick blurb about it on the radio (WISN, news break during Belling). Nothing about it on the six o'clock or ten o'clock news on channel 12. They had good things to say about Doyles shitty speech. Although Doyle is implying no more front plates ( :headbang ).

Related links...

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=21940&forum_id=66&jump_to=366588

http://www.lakelandtimes.com/main.asp?SectionID=9&SubSectionID=9&ArticleID=8985

Breecher_7
02-18-2009, 05:38 AM
So whos strapping on there firepower today and taking advange of there civil liberties?

And for those of you that would open carry, you should find the list of laws/rules you must abide.

Ive had my CC permit for years as I was able to swindle it under my High ex usage and manufacturing permits and the govt doesnt want hijacked or stolen explosives, but to be honest it will be nice to carry with a thigh holster withough being looked at oddly or being approached by law enforcement.....

Seems as if state officials are still dancing around this issue though, pretending to ignore it and mabey it will go away. Fact is, cats out of the bag to the general public. They might as well release a list of where you can and cant carry and be done with it. I have a feeling you will be seeing alot more sidearms from now on.

Mabey our BCM police officer can look into this for us?

That_Guy
02-18-2009, 06:05 AM
i plan on putting money down on a Springfield xd 40 cal service model this weekend so i can pick it up for my 21 birthday. i also plan on ordering a thigh holster this weekend form cheaper than dirt. its a pretty nice one on there that a friend of mine got "former marine". last night he said he is going to carry tomorrow and hope that somebody gives him shit so he can pull the " i cant believe your doing this to a vett" card

Rocket Power
02-18-2009, 07:13 AM
Time for 941.23 to go away

941.23 Carrying concealed weapon . Any person except a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Notwithstanding s. 939.22 (22), for purposes of this section, peace officer does not include a commission warden who is not a state-certified commission warden.

Let the rest of us carry :headbang

Who issues fed permits, because the ATF says they don't?
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm

(A2) Does the Federal Government issue a license or permit to carry a concealed weapon? [Back]

No. Neither ATF nor any other Federal agency issues such a permit or license. Carrying permits may be issued by a State or local government.or maybe they just mean civilians? or have things changed?

TheRX7Project
02-18-2009, 08:17 AM
I'll like it more when we get CCW like 48 other states

QFT. WI and IL are the only backward assed non CCW states. Get with the program!

Either way, I need a handgun now so I can open carry!

Rocket Power
02-18-2009, 08:44 AM
I have a Safariland 070 Level 3 retention holster for my 5906, so I guess I could if I felt like it.

http://www.safariland.com/images/catalog/070.jpg

Breecher_7
02-18-2009, 09:02 AM
Time for 941.23 to go away

Let the rest of us carry :headbang

Who issues fed permits, because the ATF says they don't?
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm

or maybe they just mean civilians? or have things changed?

The request is submitted to the state, I always assumed it was approved at the federal level. I could be mistaken though. I had to do alot of dancing around to get it approved, had to go to court a couple times. Its not simple and they tax the fuck out of me for it. Its pretty much the same permit that is needed when you work for a private security firm such as blackwater, If you can prove that you have an occupational hazzard where a firearm would be an asset for personal protection or cargo and can convice the courts of it, its a done deal. A statewide concealed carry needs to be approved.

We should have an open carry party! Who wants to go wal mart tonight? :rolf