PDA

View Full Version : Street Rod Probe in HOT ROD Magazine!

pw_cc_runner
02-16-2009, 06:14 PM
I just found out about this today! I sent an email to the editor over a year and a half ago and my Dad sent me a text this morning to say he found it. Anyway, it's on page 20 of April 2009...

http://epmazdasport.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5379&g2_serialNumber=1

EDIT: This is the original essay that got paraphrased... some of the information came from an email conversation we had also

Dear Hot Rod Magazine Editors

I am writing because I would like to share the story of the Street Rod Probe and how this father-son project has affected my life. As a freshman in high school I thought I had found my calling as a runner for the cross country team, and I was completely devastated when multiple stress fractures and compartment syndrome of the lower legs deprived me of my ability to run. Before cross country, most of my life had involved cars. When my dad saw how devastated I was he knew that it was the perfect time for me to have a car of my own. Before I knew it I was standing on the curb in front of some stranger's house handing over $500 for a 1993 Ford Probe. It had minor body damage, faded paint, and a torn driver's seat, but it was nothing that a little time and effort could not fix.

In the weeks and months to come I began to envision a whole lot more than just fixing the dented fender and giving the car a quick paint job. During classes I became focused on design sketches and color combinations, and before I knew it I had my Dad in on it too. Most kids my age who get a "tuner" car immediately think large exhaust, aluminum wings, and JDM, but not I. I recalled my childhood, when I often found myself, on my way to the Nationals, crammed in the back seat of the 1939 Ford Convertible that my Dad built. I knew it had to be a street rod! Over the next two years my 1993 Ford Probe underwent a complete transformation from its humble Flat Rock, Michigan beginnings into a car that embodies the true spirit of nostalgic Detroit and who I am as a person.

By the time we finished my Dad and I had cut off the original roof, and replaced it with a factory moon-roof panel. We fit and customized a poorly made body kit that included front and rear bumpers and side skirts. We shaved the windshield sprayer nozzles off the hood; shaved the door handles and locks; and relocated the fuel filler in the hatch gap. We replaced the antenna with a roof mounted antenna; created custom quad-tip center exit exhaust; mounted a fiberglass spoiler to the hatch; and crammed oversized gunmetal Ford Mustang Bullitt wheels. We painted the car metallic silver, and to complete the street rod look, I hand-laid and masked my very first custom flame job, which my Dad then painted in pearl orange. Even though the project got blown way out of proportion, requiring far more wet-sanding than any kid should ever have to do, not to mention a few arguments with my Dad, it is one of the most rewarding things I have accomplished in my nineteen years.

This is a thank you to my Dad, who I know will read this, along with the guys at work who sit down at break every day and open three copies of the exact same magazine. He helped turn one of the most challenging experiences of my life into something I will never forget and I can never repay him for what he has given me.

Josh Pinke

RanJer
02-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Congrats.. we already knew.. lol
http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35655

Yeehaw
02-16-2009, 06:19 PM
yea i seen it the other day when eating lunch congrats dude!!

Flicktitty
02-16-2009, 06:19 PM
That is VERY COOL!

Congrats!

Just curious, who did the roof swap?

flyin_blue_egg
02-16-2009, 06:36 PM
i gotta find that mag. when it comes out

pw_cc_runner
02-16-2009, 06:37 PM
lol I looked before posting, but I didn't catch it because of the title. My Dad and I actually found a junk car with a good factory moon roof and cut and replaced it ourselves. The whole car was done in our garage behind the house. I'll post a few pictures of the car without the roof after I dig them out.

WhatsADSM
02-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Congrats man... Did they even email you back letting you know it would be in this months mag?

TraceDaddy
02-16-2009, 07:07 PM
200 mph club??

Damn.

Just Damn.

:stare

michelle
02-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Congrats!

GRAMPS SS
02-16-2009, 07:17 PM
car looks sweet....saukville won't be the same with a celeb there this year...

pw_cc_runner
02-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Congrats man... Did they even email you back letting you know it would be in this months mag?

Honestly, I had given up hope. I just deleted the copies of the emails I had sent and received during the exchange with Rob Kinnan. I did not know until my Dad showed me this morning. It worked out exactly as I had hoped that my Dad and his co-workers who all read HOT ROD would find it during their morning break.

As far as the 200 MPH Club, its one of those things. My Dad says that we can head out to Bonneville for the Speed Week and talk to some people and get the official rule book this August.

Thanks everyone, it is kind of surreal. It was less for me and the car and more about thanking my Dad which is why I am so glad it worked out.

Reverend Cooper
02-16-2009, 10:08 PM
I have always thought that car was awesome

pw_cc_runner
02-16-2009, 10:19 PM
I have always thought that car was awesome

No matter what you and Dave still have me beat when it comes to getting into the WoW Show. :rolf

Reverend Cooper
02-16-2009, 10:29 PM
YOUR car is the one in the magazine dude

Waver
02-16-2009, 10:29 PM
dude this is just awesome.....I am glad to see the local guys from the club finally getting thier dues

Prince Valiant
02-16-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm not sure if you're aware of this...but chronic compartment syndrome is very treatable. So, if you want, you can keep the cool car, AND possibly resume running.

pw_cc_runner
02-16-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm not sure if you're aware of this...but chronic compartment syndrome is very treatable. So, if you want, you can keep the cool car, AND possibly resume running.

I started running distance the summer before my freshman year in high school. Prior to that I was a sprinter and no one explained the importance of having good shoes and starting slow. I ran with the team captains the entire summer and was ready to rock and roll come August. I destroyed my PR in the third meet of my freshman year and I could hardly pick up my feet the next day at practice. I was told I had shin splints and to take it easy and continue running at a reduced level. I finished out the season and did not run the entire winter, but as soon as track season started the issues started again. I saw a orthopedist shortly after and bi-lateral stress fractures finally showed up on the x-rays.

Even though I told the orthopedist to continue to pursue compartment syndrome he insisted time off to heal the bones (with the assistance of bone stimulators) would solve the problem. Well it did not, and luckily for me the compartment syndrome held my fractured bones together. I had the pressure revealed from the compartments over the summer of my sophomore year and I rehab all through the junior year and was "ready" to go for my senior year. Unfortunately, I simply could not get the consistency. I can definitely still run. However, I can not do it on a regular basis. I can maybe run once every third or fourth day, but it is extremely difficult to become competitive with limitations like that.

I appreciate the optimism, but my running days are behind me. I am just glad that I got everyday functionality back because prior to the surgery I could hardly go up and down stairs and if I flinched the muscles the wrong way it would ache for days. I do not know how knowledgeable you are with compartment syndrome, but the day I had my test I ran back-to-back 5:30 miles on the treadmill and the typical runner's pressures in their compartments after within minutes after cooling down is between 0-5mmhg. Over 15 minutes after I finished my pressures were well over 100mmhg. The pressure was so high it actually started to push the muscle out of the casing around a nerve opening and created a bulge under the skin in my leg.

b4mytm
02-17-2009, 06:11 AM
Congratulations!!