PDA

View Full Version : Holley question

Voodoo Chick
02-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Is there any noticeable performance gain with a chokeless Holley double pumper as opposed to the "regular Holley?" I have heard quite a few conflicting opinions, and I was wondering if anyone here is more knowledgable on the subject.

juicedimpss
02-16-2009, 12:39 PM
on a mild engine,there would be little to no gain.
on a hotter build(say 500hp up) it is more beneficial to have the added airflow from the removal of the choke,along with the fact most cars with a hotter build are rarely driven in cold weather to really need a choke

Voodoo Chick
02-16-2009, 01:08 PM
The car is a pretty hot build.....and NEVER driven in cold weather. I have never had one without the choke, so I'm kinda excited about this for some reason!

juicedimpss
02-16-2009, 01:11 PM
you will be learning the art of feathering the throttle till the car gets up to operating temps.....
not a real big deal at all. heck,most box stock holleys are so rich they will nearly idle ice cold

Voodoo Chick
02-16-2009, 01:48 PM
you will be learning the art of feathering the throttle till the car gets up to operating temps.....
not a real big deal at all. heck,most box stock holleys are so rich they will nearly idle ice cold

Oh, I'm familiar with that already! My Olds has a VERY tempermental Q-jet that requires a bit of feathering 'til she's warm. I love the way the Q-jet performs when it's warm and ready......but I wouldn't go out looking for another one, that's for sure!

jbiscuit
02-16-2009, 01:52 PM
choke?

Prince Valiant
02-16-2009, 02:14 PM
The only thing I didn't like about NOT having a choke were on the rare occassions I was at a cruise spot and the car sat long enough to require a choke to run smoothly on initial start-up....gave the plymouth an even rattier image than it already had, lol.

I do like on my mild 318 that with the choke it always fires up easily, runs smoothly, all the time, no matter the weather/conditions.

Voodoo Chick
02-16-2009, 02:29 PM
I love the "ratty" image, so if she starts rough, I won't mind! I think sometimes when they have a rattiness about them, it really adds a lot of character, lol!