PDA

View Full Version : Tie rod falls off.....coicidence?

Russ Jerome
02-15-2009, 08:54 PM
So Im with the wife in her van and mention I need to
put a tie rod end on, I can feel a vauge shimmy at certain
speeds as load is put on the steering left or right....

Not hour or so later Im backing one of my trucks in the
driveway.....cant steer reverse but can forward...Im getting
out and thinking to myself what are the chances I drop a
tie rod end only after telling her why loosing a single tie
rod while driving forward isnt that unsafe (caster makes
your tire want to go strait by design). One fell off!

Im going in the other room right now to tell her the what
the chances are I win the lottery...maybe I will after this!

srt4eh
02-15-2009, 08:59 PM
creepy....

Car Guy
02-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Just be glad it didn't happen on the interstate.....:wooo

Russ Jerome
02-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Its not as bad as it sounds, a ball joint will send you into
a ditch should it fail but the offending tie rod end will
allow the disconected tire to follow the still steerable tire
as long as your going forward.Creepy timing indeed tho!

I had a guy pull into Freigtliner one Sunday morning, said
he stopped in sat on his way to Green bay but we had just
closed. He drove from Oak Creek up to Green Bay to deliver
a load, continued back down to Oak Creek and I replaced
it for him that morning. He made the trip to and from with
only a bungy cord holding the pass side tie rod up from
hitting the ground the whole way, truck steered fine pulling
around our lot and into the shop :)

95 TA - The Beast
02-17-2009, 01:42 AM
Its not as bad as it sounds, a ball joint will send you into
a ditch should it fail but the offending tie rod end will
allow the disconected tire to follow the still steerable tire
as long as your going forward.Creepy timing indeed tho!

I had a guy pull into Freigtliner one Sunday morning, said
he stopped in sat on his way to Green bay but we had just
closed. He drove from Oak Creek up to Green Bay to deliver
a load, continued back down to Oak Creek and I replaced
it for him that morning. He made the trip to and from with
only a bungy cord holding the pass side tie rod up from
hitting the ground the whole way, truck steered fine pulling
around our lot and into the shop :)

Great, the kind of c*cksucker that ends up killing people with his f*cking stupidity... All because he needs to drop a load off??? F*CK HIM!!! :flipoff2:

Shit like this REALLY pisses me off when I hear it... Should have reported his ass, as he obviously drove into your place like that instead of having it towed... :mad:

88Nightmare
02-17-2009, 10:50 AM
thats tough to say.... try being the semi driver and having to either drop the load ontime or not get a paycheck. If its the difference between feeding his family, that would be a tough decision for him to make to decide to finish his trip or not. Those guys have tough jobs... serious time constraints, stress....etc.

95 TA - The Beast
02-17-2009, 11:06 AM
thats tough to say.... try being the semi driver and having to either drop the load ontime or not get a paycheck. If its the difference between feeding his family, that would be a tough decision for him to make to decide to finish his trip or not. Those guys have tough jobs... serious time constraints, stress....etc.

Great, drive something that big with a SERIOUS problem all because he wants to be on time??? Risk everyone elses life because he wants to be a dumbass???

Any way you look at it, he WAS WRONG! F*ckin retard in EVERY case. Risk everyone else on the road... NO EXCUSE!

Damn SOB should have his license revoked, and for ANYONE to defend that shit is totally insane. Who gives a flying f*ck about his bills, great when he kills a family... There is no excuse for that, and the law would most definitly side with that viewpoint...

And if he would lose his job over a mechanical failure on his rig, that usually would mean he is a MAJOR f*ckup to begin with, which is obvious by the example of what he pulled...

I just cannot believe it when people look the other way with this shit... It is not like it is a little VW Beetle, it is a big rig with a full load, more than enough to kill A LOT of people...

88Nightmare
02-17-2009, 11:15 AM
A tie rod can fail on your car and you could kill someone, it all depends on the situation.

It's not quite as black and white as you are making it seem

95 TA - The Beast
02-17-2009, 11:38 AM
A tie rod can fail on your car and you could kill someone, it all depends on the situation.

It's not quite as black and white as you are making it seem

Sure it is, AS HE CHOOSE TO DRIVE ALL THAT WAY KNOWING HIS TRUCK WAS FUCKED!!!

It is VERY black and white as you put it, he is a ****** cocksucker in every sense of the word... No two ways about and no way to defend it... Something that big with that much load you ****** park it and have it dealt with... To drive around like he was is complete and utter BS...

88Nightmare
02-17-2009, 11:40 AM
meh, obviously you are too opinionated for any reasoning. you're stuck with your opinion so there's no point in carrying on

95 TA - The Beast
02-17-2009, 12:52 PM
meh, obviously you are too opinionated for any reasoning. you're stuck with your opinion so there's no point in carrying on

And you obviously choose to look the other way when something as stupid as this happens... There is no excuse for endangering people lives like that...

I would LOVE to try to hear ANY sort of 'reasoning' that would justify what he pulled with the risks he took... His problems should not be paid for by other peoples lives... PERIOD!

88Nightmare
02-17-2009, 01:47 PM
our conversation was going nowhere, which is why I chose to leave. Not sure why you haven't.....

95 TA - The Beast
02-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Because your 'defense' of such stupidity is just as bad as the action itself. There is no way anyone can justify it. It is REALLY that fricken outrageous someone would take a chance like that with EVERYONE ELSE on the road...

There is no way you can defend such actions. THAT is the point. You said he maybe had personal reasons why he had to risk every other driver that was on the same route he took and happened upon. THAT is no excuse.

People wonder how wheels fall off trucks and kill people, people wonder how others can be that irresponsible. The fact of the matter is this jerkoff was WAYYYY off in the weeds to think he was 'ok' driving a truck like that. Doesn't matter if he drove it all of 2 miles to the shop or 200 miles to a customer.

In cases like this, if someone would have been injured the jackass deserves to have everything he and his family owns to be lost. Insurance should not cover ignorance like this. People have this attitude that they don't have to take responsibility for themselves and thier actions. And for the rest of us to 'look the other way' is complete and utter social irresponsibility.

Peoples attitudes only change when they lose a loved one due to someone elses stupidity.

88Nightmare
02-17-2009, 02:03 PM
lol you're still going?

I wonder how many beaters in the hood get driven around KNOWINGLY with faulty brakes, suspension, and steering parts because the drivers CANNOT afford to fix them. They are willfully driving around in their jalopies putting lots of people at risk... I don't see you personally attacking them. Why should the truckers be any different?

95 TA - The Beast
02-17-2009, 02:08 PM
lol you're still going?

I wonder how many beaters in the hood get driven around KNOWINGLY with faulty brakes, suspension, and steering parts because the drivers CANNOT afford to fix them. They are willfully driving around in their jalopies putting lots of people at risk... I don't see you personally attacking them. Why should the truckers be any different?

Are you SERIOUS?!?!?!

A big rig is 1000% more dangerous than any kind of hooptie. It WILL go through any other vehicle on the road with devistating results. It is a matter of responsibility, plain and simple. You are so far off base here it is amazing... Must have a few truckers in the family, eh? Otherwise I cannot see your lack of 'common sense' with this... And even at that I would hope if you do they have enough common sense to take thier responsibility towards others on the road serious enough.

Also, how do you know I wouldn't bitch about the hoopties either??? Screw anyone that willingly drives a vehicle they KNOW has a problem that could cause them to loose control and crash into anyone else. Ignorance only goes so far, then it is blatent disregard for anyone elses safety.

88Nightmare
02-17-2009, 02:15 PM
any car/truck/suv going at a sufficient enough speed into another can still cost someone their life, it doesn't have to be a big rig. Hell, a crotch rocket plowing into you fast enough can severely injure or kill. What if it t-bones you at 90mph? Chances are if he hits directly in your driver door, you might not live, but I digress.

The point is, why personally attack JUST the truckers? I bet someone you PERSONALLY KNOW drove a vehicle with something dangerously faulty on it. I bought an old vehicle on here recently from another member. Brakes were quite bad. Pedal went to the floor, right front brakes were metal on metal, I'm pretty sure it had been that way for awhile. Dangerous? yes. Could have possibly caused an accident? yes. So continuing my point.... it happens. I don't see why you would personally attack the trucker when it happens constantly on a daily basis.

And to your comment about semi wheels flying off, blame the mechanics, not the drivers. Are the drivers expected to walk around with a torque wrench and check each of the 20 lug nuts per axle? Sad day when you can't trust your mechanic to properly torque down some wheels..... and yes I understand they can loosen up while being driven.... they make little glow in the dark green pointer tabs for that... blame companies for not buying them for THEIR trucks.

88Nightmare
02-17-2009, 02:28 PM
BTW those aforementioned green pointer tabs for lug nuts is only about $.60 a piece ;)

95 TA - The Beast
02-17-2009, 02:44 PM
The attack is on the truckers lack of RESPONSIBILITY. He and EVERY OTHER TRUCKER should be 100% more responsible than ANYONE else due to thier vehicle size. It is like saying the guy that pilots an oil tanker drunk is just like the guy that takes his little 32-footer out while having a few. One will fuck shit up on an epic scale, the other will be a fraction of a percentage...

It is a matter of scope. Truckers should need to be a lot more responsible than anyone else due to the sheer amount of damage they can do. Same goes for that that drive big as trucks vs a little econo car. They can all kill, but more people will walk away from an accident where a Festiva hit them than a big rig. Hell the big rig would only have to be going 15mph and do more damage than the Festiva going 50mph... It is a matter of size and scope.

And I am in no way saying ANYONE should be wantingly irresponsible on the road. I am pointing out that SIZE DOES MATTER and being a trucker means that is YOUR JOB to be responsible to those on the highway. We all hear about the bitching and moaning that truckers don't get the respect they should have on the highways, and to that it is in part due to the jerkoffs that think just because they drive a rig and they spend more time on the road they deserve more privledges. Fact of the matter is that everyone has a responsibility and yes, trucks should be given a reasonable amount of consideration, ie not be cut-off, allow them to pass before pulling into thier lane to make a turn, understanding they cannot slow down like a smaller vehicle can, etc...

At the same time they should have the responsibility to know they can do massive damage on a scale much greater at slower speeds than smaller vehicles. THAT is the issue, and the whole point of this thread it was brought up about a specific trucker being an ASSHAT driving a totally unsafe rig WITH A FULL LOAD hundreds of miles... That is outrageous. And again, to argue otherwise is being obtuse and unbelievably ignorant.

88Nightmare
02-17-2009, 02:48 PM
if a vehicle is knowingly driven faulty, its wrong. I dont care what kind of vehicle it is. Just because someone has bad brakes on their festiva doesn't make it "less wrong"

95 TA - The Beast
02-17-2009, 03:04 PM
if a vehicle is knowingly driven faulty, its wrong. I dont care what kind of vehicle it is. Just because someone has bad brakes on their festiva doesn't make it "less wrong"

Of course not, where did I ever say it was???

You were arguing the trucker didn't do anything wrong because he "may have had other responsibilities"... That was the whole issue here...

88Nightmare
02-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Of course not, where did I ever say it was???

You were arguing the trucker didn't do anything wrong because he "may have had other responsibilities"... That was the whole issue here...

you keep repeating how semi drivers need to be more responsible more responsible blah blah blah.

They are far better drivers then the majority of the local population. When it snows and there is a pile up, chances are its going to be Joe Schmoe in his Toyota Corolla goin too fast, spins, hits the wall, bounces off the wall and back into traffic, and then a pile up ensues.... not Big Red drivin his semi goin too fast, spins, and hits the wall. I won't sit here and say it can't and doesn't happen, becaues I know it does, but chances are, winter pile ups are joe shmoe's fault. And you say WHO needs to be more responsible??????

And I never once said the driver with the tie-rod issue didn't do anything wrong.

95 TA - The Beast
02-17-2009, 03:15 PM

How is THAT not saying he isn't wrong???

You, right there, tried justifying his actions. You didn't come out and say, yes, in fact he was a ****** retard for driving like that...

95 TA - The Beast
02-17-2009, 03:17 PM
And I, for the record, have members of my family that drive truck. They ALL agree that truckers need to be 500% more the responsible drivers than joe-schmo in his Festiva, as they UNDERSTAND the responsibility they have driving something as massive as a big rig.

C'mon, this shit is common sense here, to argue otherwise is being dim-witted...

Windsors 03 Cobra
02-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Driving a big rig with a disco'ed tie rod end bungeed up to a frame rail and not even trying to attach it back to the ball and driving 200 miles it absolutely insane.
I never had a ball joint or tie rod end break at speed but have always worried about it. It astonishes me that a steer tire with no steering linkage will follw what the other steer does, weird as hell to me. (I know nothing about suspension geometry, caster, camber or toe)

I did have a tie rod end fall apart once. I think over a driveway approach or something when I was about 16, I popped the socket back onto the ball and tie wired it together some and drove home 10 miles.
I think I drove 20 mph, stopped and checked the wire 18 million times and re-worked the 1 time during the trip.

88Nightmare
02-17-2009, 03:18 PM
I still never said he didnt do anything wrong

PB86MCSS
02-17-2009, 03:24 PM
:popcorn

Man, there sure are people on this site who love to argue.

lordairgtar
02-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Having had that happen in my own car across town from my home, I drove it back home but at speeds under ten MPH. It was two AM and no one was around. Steered fine but I took no chances with high speeds. I could understand if the load destination was maybe 15 or so miles away, but all the way to Green Bay and back? Kinda stretching it.

Russ Jerome
02-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Sorry I posted! My $19.99 tie rodend went on next morning.

For the record, not if I agree or not.......

If your otherwise perfect operating vehicle was
heading to MPLS and you where not aware that in
WAUK you dropped a tie rod end (non connecting link)
you would never know it until you were backing up or
making some u-turn in a lot. Your car will go strait
all day, the term caster is just like a shopping cart
wheel it follows your strait ahead position all day.
Loosing the second end or a drag link would be a
bad deal (especialy if you knew about the first end!).

Prince Valiant
02-17-2009, 04:51 PM
:popcorn

Man, there sure are people on this site who love to argue.

Oh yeah?!?
blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah :fire:fire:fireblah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah :fire:fire:fireblah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah :fireblah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah :fireblah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah :fire:fireblah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah :fire:fireblah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah :fire:fireblah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah :fireblah blah blah blahblah :fire:fireblah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah :fireblah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah :durrblah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah :devilblah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah :flipoff2::flipoff2:blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah :alcoholic:loserblah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah :fire:fire:confusedblah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah :fireblah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah :rolleyes::rolleyes:blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah :rolleyes::flipoff2:blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah :chair:blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah :alcoholicblah blah blah blahblah :punch:blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah :fireblah blah blah blahblah :devilblah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah

:goof

88Nightmare
02-17-2009, 05:20 PM
leave it to chris to have yet another enlightening and educational post :D

PB86MCSS
02-17-2009, 09:21 PM
Thats pretty much what it looks like at times ;) .