PDA

View Full Version : Running a 32 bit program in Vista 64 bit?

TransAm12sec
02-14-2009, 05:36 PM
I have software from a textbook cd that is not compatible with Vista 64 bit. What are my options for getting the programs to work? Can I run a virtual PC? But would I need to purchase another copy of Windows?

The laptop is an HP Pavilion dv7-1135nr.

Myles
02-14-2009, 06:29 PM
what do you mean its not compatible? does it say error when installing it? does the company who makes it say its not? Usually when installing a 32 bit app windows will run it in a 32bit emulation layer. It runs a little slower due to the software emulation but usually works fine. And if you run a virtual machine you will need to purchase another copy if you want it to be legit.

WhatsADSM
02-14-2009, 09:27 PM
There are no guarantees that it will work. But you can also try compatibility mode. I'm on my phone now so I can't look up exactly how to do it, but if you search the windows help for compatibility mode you should be able to find instructions on how to run a program in compatibility mode.

TransAm12sec
02-15-2009, 11:19 AM
I just tried the compatibility mode, and it worked! Thank you very much.

The program installed normally , however when attempting to run it, this window popped up.

ENGINE Student Edition has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

This was the response from the company.

Dear Lance Schaefer,

Design of Machinery DVD is not compatible with Windows Vista 64bit and will not run. It is compatible with Wnidows 2000, XP, and Vista 32bit.

Thank you,

Marcus Gordon
Digital CARE Team
McGraw-Hill Higher Education

BoosTT
02-15-2009, 11:59 AM
I'm not sure if it'll help, but try disableing hyperthreading. Usually that fixes a lot of errors simular to that one.

TransAm12sec
02-15-2009, 12:07 PM
What is hyperthreading?

300pny
02-16-2009, 08:10 PM
What is hyperthreading?

Basically processing multiple threads VIA the processor. I doubt your machine has the capability or multiple processors but if it does you would have to turn it off in the Bios for optimum performance.

300pny
02-16-2009, 08:16 PM
I would bet the 32 bit app uses a 16 bit driver at some point which is why the emulator won't work and wont work on a 64 bit system. Not to mention the vendor admitting they do not keep up with technology.