PDA

View Full Version : Need carbon fiber work done

That_Guy
02-13-2009, 10:20 PM
you guys know anybody local who does carbon fiber work? im looking to get about 50 carbon fiber front lips made. that look something like the one on the time koni challenge car

http://i41.tinypic.com/33mbfk7.jpg

Todd Z
02-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Be ready with a large check! Mike Cudahy at Prototype Composites in Glendale. You pay for the mold and then own the rights. Tell him Todd Z with the 777 Vette sent you.

That_Guy
02-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Be ready with a large check! Mike Cudahy at Prototype Composites in Glendale. You pay for the mold and then own the rights. Tell him Todd Z with the 777 Vette sent you.

right now im building up a list for this group buy.. i should be able to come up with the funds.

lordairgtar
02-13-2009, 11:27 PM
I think you are looking at 20 to 40 grand for mold design.

That_Guy
02-13-2009, 11:33 PM

seriously... :durr thats insane i was thinking like 5-6 grand get the mold made and then what ever it costed to get about 50-100 sets made

lordairgtar
02-13-2009, 11:38 PM
Do you have a prototype made? Is it for a Cobalt like the one shown? Do they have that product on the market already? Yes, mold making is expensive. We mold little plastic hand pieces for probe tips for a company that makes multimeters. I know that particular mold was 25,000 and that was years ago.

That_Guy
02-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Do you have a prototype made? Is it for a Cobalt like the one shown? Do they have that product on the market already? Yes, mold making is expensive. We mold little plastic hand pieces for probe tips for a company that makes multimeters. I know that particular mold was 25,000 and that was years ago.

im starting to work on a prototype today. im drawing up and starting gather dimensions. i should have a hard foam model of one made up within the next few weeks. then ill throw it all on to solid works

lordairgtar
02-13-2009, 11:48 PM
Good luck on that project.

shoooo32
02-14-2009, 08:41 AM
sounds like a cool project. keep us updated with pics.

Todd Z
02-14-2009, 10:52 AM
I was going to do a hood for the C5 vette before I found a functional one. I needed an extracter hood vs. intake. The mold for the hood was under 5 grand. Mike is a great guy and may already have what you need. They do make alot of stuff for speed WC among other series.

michelle
02-14-2009, 11:18 AM
We make our own body pieces for the racecar. We make our molds and then make carbon fiber pieces. We don't have the equipment to make nice vacuumed-bagged stuff, which is where the big money comes in. No need on a racecar, especially when we make splitters that take a lot of pounding on the track.

But you could make your own mold, use a quality gel coat, and lay your own carbon fiber/kevlar layers. Wouldn't recommend making a large quantity, but for a few pieces you wouldn't be spending too much money.

Otherwise I would just look at other manufacturers. Check out Andy's Auto Sport out of California (they built my body kit for my '01).

http://www.andysautosport.com/chevrolet/2005_9999_cobalt/exterior/accessories/wind_splitters/

WickedSix
02-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Composite molds are relatively cheap especially if they are open mold layup. The plastic injection molds cost substantially more to produce due to the labor intensity of cooling passage, runner system, etc.

lordairgtar
02-14-2009, 05:05 PM
I didn't think of the composite molds.

TURTLE
02-15-2009, 12:39 PM
just my $.02 on andy's autosport... in the neon community, it's a heated debate as to the quality of their products... 1/2 the people like the service and the products, the other 1/2 get screwed in what shows up on their doorstep, if it ever shows up at all....

that being said... have you contacted that race team to see where/how they get thier splitters made? i'm sure they've got a source for them...

michelle
02-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Andy's Auto Sport was great with me. Although I let them use my pictures in advertisements and magazines, so maybe they appreciated that.

That_Guy
02-15-2009, 05:44 PM
just my $.02 on andy's autosport... in the neon community, it's a heated debate as to the quality of their products... 1/2 the people like the service and the products, the other 1/2 get screwed in what shows up on their doorstep, if it ever shows up at all....

that being said... have you contacted that race team to see where/how they get thier splitters made? i'm sure they've got a source for them...

im going to call the race team i didnt think of that.

stealthy1ss
02-15-2009, 06:37 PM
right now im building up a list for this group buy.. i should be able to come up with the funds.

Nate why don't you tell them what you really plan on doing! :punch:

Troutman
02-16-2009, 09:27 AM

not unless you are using a steel or aluminum tool, which you dont need.

usually you can pull parts off a fiberglass mold or using a ren shape.

i was at Mike Cudahys place a few years back..he does some pretty nice work. i think he does alot of stuff with Alfas if i remember correctly