PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE READ, The YOUTH rider under 13, NEED YOUR HELP!!

SmokinRAM114
02-12-2009, 03:44 PM
If you would like to buy a youth atv or motorcycle PLEASE READ!! I wish i could say this is a joke BUT IT IS NOT! :chair:

This was posted on our district site, the letter is from Greg Robinson, Owner of Unadilla...

Good Afternoon...forget the good, as our country has descended into lunacy.

I have spent most of the day on two conference calls relative to the subject line above, and I must say I am rather concerned about the fate of our sport and industry. Not to mention our local communities for the further loss of jobs and $$ that our industry brings in each year. It is certainly that dire..believe me.

As of yesterday, all the OEMs had to pull for sale all new youth minicycles and atvs for those under the age of 13...this under order of the CPSC due to lead content of plastics and certain metals. As of yesterday, a dealer or private individual can no longer provide parts or service, to these affected machines, in which there is a possibility that those same parts may contain lead...no oil changes, plastic, levers, engine cases, etc, etc..goggles, helmets, clothing, knee braces..you name it. You may think that is just for new machines, but it is for everything new and used.

The CPSC also ruled that machines under 85cc are considered toxic to the health of young children.

Effective yesterday, Honda has pulled replacement parts from their service system for these machines pending lead certification...this takes 400 days. KTM, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha are doing the same thing. If you have a 1,2,3 year old machine, you won't be able to buy most parts for it very soon.

Yamaha is sending out restrictions to its dealers saying that an 85cc bike can only be sold, and should only be operated by someone over the age of 13.

Now to the fun part for us as a race promoter.

Because the manufacturers are now issuing these guidelines, we as promoters cannot allow a youth under the age of 13 to participate for two reasons.
We are allowing someone to participate in a sanctioned activity on a vehicle that has been determined by the manufacturer and the CPSC to be unsafe for that age level.
We are allowing someone to participate in a sanctioned activity on a vehicle that the CPSC has determined is a toxic substance.
If you think I am joking, consider the following
MX Sports is considering removing youth classes from the Loretta Lynn's program, GNCC, and ATV Nationals...we run all three of these series and I can tell you that these classes make up over 1/3 of our entries and more than half of our attendance.
The AMA will be forced to ban youths under 13 from any AMA amateur or pro competition due to legal ramifications. The same will apply to local districts and sanctioning bodies, as insurance will not be available to cover this exposure. The lifeblood of our sport are these kids..if they cannot participate, they will find something else to do, and we will not get them back. They will not race, watch, or buy products. That means Mom, Dad and older brothers/sisters won't be there either.
Unadilla would most likely not participate in any form of amateur racing..with only half or less of the entries left, it wouldn't be financially possible.
DO I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION YET!

There are two efforts going on right now to get a temporary stay granted by the CPSC for "Off Road Vehicles." The MIC (Motorcycle Industry Council) and Missouri State House Rep Mike Sense(#4 in line in the MO st govt) are both developing grass roots letter campaigns through websites to develop a ground swell of support for this stay. Keep in mind this is only temporary, and unless a Federal injunction or legislation is developed, this isn't going away.

There are several opinions floating around on this subject saying that our thinking is flawed and that only the sale of new units is affected...if that is the case, why are helmet, goggle, sneakers, sunglasses, OEM parts and accessories, and dealer service being pulled for these units???

I will leave you with this..if indeed this is overblown, and we are right that we shouldn't be affected by this, it still doesn't mean that we can't/won't be sued by someone using this logic, and worse yet, convince a jury that the above is true. If it gets that far, you will have spent nearly a million $$ in your own defense, just to prove you were right all along.

IS IT WORTH THAT TO YOU?

I will get you info on the two websites, and I encourage you to beg everyone you know that rides, owns, promotes, or attends an off road sporting event to get everyone they know in the same manner to fill out one of these letters...Every Mom Dad and Kid should individually enter their name. Then they should contact their local representatives too.

Thanks for listening, and please do not think you can't make a difference..contact your local representatives as well..explain the economic impact this will have..educate yourself on this subject as quickly as you can.

Greg Robinson
VP Marketing
Unadillla Motorsports
© 315-725-9537
greg@unadillamx.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feb 12 2009 9:16AM
Comment ShareThis Email Print
Dear Industry Leaders, Racers, Fans and Enthusiasts,

Yesterday, a law went into effect prohibiting the sale of minicycles to children under the age of 13 as a result of the lead content in the machines (Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008, Title I, Section 101). This law, which arguably applies to both motorcycles and ATVs, treats any children's product that contains more lead than the limit established by law as a banned hazardous substance.

We have already begun to experience the devastating consequences of this new legislation upon our sport, as OEMs have already pulled these machines from their showroom floors. Youth racing is the foundation of our sport. That is when most of you fell in love with motorcycles in the first place, only to grow up to bring your own kids back to the racetracks. Only now, they can't ride.

On behalf of MX Sports (Loretta Lynn's), Racer Productions (GNCC), and ATVPG (ATV Amateur Nationals), we are extremely concerned with the short- and long-range effects of this new legislation, as the first rounds in all of our various series are less than two weeks away, and all include classes for youth racers under the age of 13. But it's not just our events - WORCS, NMA, Mini Os, SETRA, etc., are all adversely impacted.

It is our opinion that the new law is inapplicable to off-highway motorsports, as neither motorcycles nor ATVs have the potential for ingestion, and lead from motorcycles is not likely to be absorbed into the bloodstream or present a health hazard. Let's face it - when was the last time someone swallowed a motorcycle? Any other interpretation would be silly. Be that as it may, the law will continue to adversely affect our industry unless and until an exemption is granted.

Presently, there is a petition for an immediate temporary exemption pending before the Consumer Product Safety Commission ("CPSC") filed by the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) on behalf of the OEMs, distributors, and industry associations. This petition, if granted, would enable our industry to move forward this racing season while the applicability of the law to the off-highway industry is determined.

What can you do?

A form letter for submission to the CPSC in support of the petition for exemption is attached as prepared by the MIC. The letter will also be available this weekend at the Indy tradeshow. Simply print out one copy for each person in your family and submit it ASAP. In the meantime, AMA is preparing a letter for submission by its membership to the CPSC. Be on the lookout for that one as well.

Also, an electronic form letter has been prepared by State Representative Tom Self of Missouri. Please go his website at www.tomself.com. Just fill in your name and address and hit "Submit" to register your support. Please submit this letter on behalf of every member of your family - regardless of age.

What else can you do?

Contact your congressmen and senators; let them know that this legislation will have the unintended consequences of crippling an entire industry. Surely, it could not have been the spirit or intent of the new law to apply to motorcycles or bicycles (which apparently have lead in the brake cables).

Time is of the essence. The very future of our sport and of our industry depends on this. We must support the pending petition before the commencement of the national racing season.

Please give this matter your immediate attention, and forward this letter to EVERY PERSON available ASAP.

Thank you,

c.

Carrie Coombs Russell

----------------------------------------------------------------

THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE JOKE!! :flipoff2: :chair: :punch: :fire

You can help by sending an email AT THE LINK POSTED HERE (STOP THE YOUTH ATV BAN),

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/rapidresponse.asp

badass88gt
02-12-2009, 03:47 PM
I heard about that, already sent my letter.

shoooo32
02-12-2009, 04:28 PM
letter sent. This is blanket legislation run wild. A few kids get sick from poorly made toys and now a 10 year old can't ride a dirtbike?

badass88gt
02-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Kids wont stop riding. The bad part is now you will have inexperienced kids riding machines that are way too much for them to learn on, and more injuries will occur because of this.

lordairgtar
02-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Methinks this goes beyond any lead content in any manufactured off road cycle or ATV. Think about it, anything that has electric start requires a battery, most likely lead/acid types common in vehicles. I know that racing machines are generally kick started. I think the reason is someone decided the best way to combat anything that can be raced by children should be banned. If kids aren't getting into the sport at an early age, then maybe they won't be interested in it as adults. The greens are going to attack racing in all forms with laws and regs designed to kill it from the back door, like noise abatement and fuel spillage and zoning laws. A 400 day wait for ROhS compliance would financially hurt any of these manufacturers in that segment. The logical way of dealing with this would be to "grandfather in" the older machines and let them diminish through normal wear and tear and tear and replacement of old equipment. Is this affecting the Kitty Kat snow machines as well?

95 TA - The Beast
02-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Kids wont stop riding. The bad part is now you will have inexperienced kids riding machines that are way too much for them to learn on, and more injuries will occur because of this.

And the parents that allow thier kids to ride a bike that is above 85cc and above the classification for them should be brought up on child endagerment charges...

According to the above the classification of 85cc and above sounds like it is suited only for those above the age of 13, and if that is the case then parents should heed those classifications or be brought up on charges...

For reference my cousins were extremely active in motorcross as kids up until one of them crashed and became a paraplegic due to a spine/neck injury... So I am not some sort of hater... I do feel plenty of parents put thier kids in dangerous situations in some of these 'sports' tho...

The child protection act was written and drafted to protect all children younger than 13yo from lead in or on ANYTHING they will come in contact with... That is ALL inclusive for products produced, sold and marketed to children, period... There should not be exceptions for this kind of 'sport'... If the products are lead-free or within legal limits there there won't be a problem after certification... There is no way they can accept any sort of 'grandfathering' in of products... Safety does not work that way and this only affects anything sold from this point on, which is why parts are unavailable until they are tested...

It is growing pains and people should be pissed that the manufacturers didn't follow suit with a majority of manufacturers that produce child-targeted products to have them tested well before this... It is thier lack of diligence that is casuing the delays... Hell, if the would have been on the ball they would have started this testing when they knew the legislation was in the pipe... That is part of owning a business is to stay on top of all of those things that affect your market...

badass88gt
02-12-2009, 06:23 PM
I guess I should be charged with child endangerment then. We have an old Yamaha 200 four stroke that goes like 25 mph that the 12 year old girl rides in the field. Hope the cops dont come get me.....

95 TA - The Beast
02-12-2009, 06:45 PM
I guess I should be charged with child endangerment then. We have an old Yamaha 200 four stroke that goes like 25 mph that the 12 year old girl rides in the field. Hope the cops dont come get me.....

If it is an older vehicle you already owned and is within the legal guidelines for what she is allowed to ride, then why would you...

If it is of a larger displacement which is categorized as a 13+ bike, then if they found out, maybe you should... Don't know the laws or the restrictions... If you aren't doing anything legally *wrong*, then why should anyone care... But if you are violating then it is on your conscience if anything were to happen...

SmokinRAM114
02-12-2009, 09:43 PM
bikes have NO age law untill now. only age class if they race. the 85cc class in Motocross is structured 9-11yrs (JR) and 12-15yrs old (SR). this whole thing has nothing to do with just racing bikes this includes atvs, and as well as riding on ur own property I will assume that the snowmobiles are too, if not, then probly next.