PDA

View Full Version : Brewers sign Looper.

Nix
02-10-2009, 10:33 AM
They acquired Brandon Looper from the Cardinals,

his numbers aren't bad at all for 5mil 1yr.

Thoughts?

70challenger452
02-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Another Dave Bush, whatever, I guess it's good for depth.

theavenger333
02-10-2009, 11:43 AM
if he's another dave bush, that's encouraging. Bush has been known to have the best "stuff" on the staff for awhile now. those are Sheets' and Maddux's words. it's a question of being able to USE it properly. hence how he can go from throwing a shutout one night to being shelled another. looper is more consistent. not a bad pickup

Nix
02-10-2009, 12:49 PM
His record last year was 12-14 in 33 starts and 199 innings, thats more innings than any of the brewers started last season, bush was the closest with 18xish.

His strikeout to walk is around 2-1 and the bad he gave up 25hrs last season which isnt horrible whane you pitch almost 200 innings.

Hes a great pickup in my book.

PB86MCSS
02-10-2009, 12:49 PM
With the market the way it is 5 million seems a bit high for a back of the rotation guy but its a positive addition. Eat some innings, could be a respectable starter. They really need Gallardo to stay healthy and Parra to step it up....and Suppan to throw more than BP to opponents to be a Playoff team.

jbiscuit
02-10-2009, 12:54 PM
he seems like a decent pick up but 5mil is a lot for him

DirtyMax
02-10-2009, 01:28 PM
$5M considering the need, others available, and his reputation... I think it was $$ well spent.

At least they didn't pay Benny $11M plus only to have him get hurt the first day of spring traning.

Karps TA
02-10-2009, 01:46 PM
My thoughts are that everytime I see his name I'll be thinking

"So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I’m a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald… striking. So, I’m on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga… gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he’s gonna stiff me. And I say, “Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know.” And he says, “Oh, uh, there won’t be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.” So I got that goin’ for me, which is nice."

70challenger452
02-10-2009, 05:34 PM
if he's another dave bush, that's encouraging. Bush has been known to have the best "stuff" on the staff for awhile now. those are Sheets' and Maddux's words. it's a question of being able to USE it properly. hence how he can go from throwing a shutout one night to being shelled another. looper is more consistent. not a bad pickup

he's statistically simular to Dave bush. Not known for having great velocity or strikeout a whole ton but gets a lot of ground balls, I don't think we over payed too much, I like the signing