PDA

View Full Version : Ammo Cans

GR8COM
02-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Hey guys I am looking for anywhere in the Milwaukee area that has the US Military Ammo cans. What I am looking for is a couple of 40mm ammo cans they are approximately 18 inches long x 10 inches high. They have latches on both ends so the lid comes completely off. I can post pics one of these days of what I am looking for. I have two smaller a 50 cal and not sure if I remember what the other one is but smaller than the 50 cal. So if you know or see any of these 40mm ammo cans please let me know. Probably hit up Sherpers here soon and see what they have. Shipping from the internet is crazy on these which I understand because of the weight.

wrath
02-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Sherper's did have some when I was there 3 weeks ago.

You can get nice .50 caliber cans at Gander Mountain.

GR8COM
02-10-2009, 08:09 AM
Yeah Fleet Farm has them too but I am for right now looking for the bigger ones the 40mm I have now is great it can hold so much and now I want to shift my pistol ammo to one or two of them.

wrath
02-10-2009, 09:23 AM
You'll probably end up back at the small .50cal (11x5.5x7) ones after a while. Those and the smaller .30cal ones seal a ton better than the split-case ones. There is a bigger .50cal can (12x6x10) that is really nice also but cost a lot more than the small .50cal cans.

I paint all my cans silver or black (depending on contents) and label them with how many rounds of what caliber and bullet type. If they're handloads then I mark them as such. Using smaller cans keeps the weight manageable. I have 18-20 of them full and they're all stacked vertically so it's a PITA to dig to the bottom if they're really heavy.

I use the small .50cal can for all my ammo now, except .22LR. It easily holds 550 rounds of my biggest handgun ammo in MTM cases and I think I've put as much as 750 rounds of .40SW in MTM cases in one. There is still enough room left for a desiccant pouch.

I use the large .50cal can to hold powder. It easily holds 3 one pound containers and a desiccant pouch. Filling it full of ammo, especially .45ACP, makes it a bit of a pain to carry.

I haven't found a good way to store 12gauge rounds. They're so big, even in the original boxes, and don't fit well in a .50cal can. I only have about 1000 rounds of 12gauge but would like to get up in the 6000+ area like my handgun stuff. Lot easier to kill zombies with a shotgun.

Reverend Cooper
02-10-2009, 10:33 AM
i think the ones i got from fleet were about 5-6 dollars

GR8COM
02-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Yeah I am using the these larger ones for storage at home and then using the 50 CAL boxes to take to the range.