PDA

View Full Version : Helmets

stealthy1ss
02-09-2009, 07:24 PM
I am in need of a helmet this year for drag racing and autox. Where is a good place to get a helmet so I can try on some different types and styles?

Karps TA
02-09-2009, 07:27 PM
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/

They are in New Berlin close to Calhoun and Cleveland Ave.

stealthy1ss
02-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the link.

URLOZIN
02-09-2009, 07:31 PM
I'm sure the local mental hospital will have some....lol..jk.. try ebay

Breecher_7
02-09-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm sure the local mental hospital will have some....lol..jk.. try ebay

You can try on helmets on Ebay? :rolf

URLOZIN
02-09-2009, 07:43 PM
no. try on some at alocal store and buy cheap on ebay

stealthy1ss
02-09-2009, 08:25 PM
I am not going to cheap out or take a chance with ebay.

Windsors 03 Cobra
02-09-2009, 08:28 PM
LoL @ the mental house crack. :rolf

Behling Racing Equipment
5170 N 125th St
Butler, WI 53007
Phone: (262) 783-7474

That_Guy
02-09-2009, 08:43 PM
I am not going to cheap out or take a chance with ebay.

good call after a helmet has been dropped scratched or knicked they shouldnt be used anymore

Dr.Buick
02-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Behlings racing in butler. All they handle is racing products

pOrk
02-10-2009, 10:12 AM
no. try on some at alocal store and buy cheap on ebay

Way to support local economy :thumbsup

Ride in New Berlin has a bunch of helmets, and they are cheap during off season :)

http://www.rideextremesports.com/index.php

-stew-
02-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Road Track And Trail in New Berlin on ES, just east of 164. You should be able to get into a nice HJC open face for under a hundo. I bought my bike there. Great people.

nismodave
02-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Dont be cheap on a helmet.

Buy a Simpson or Bell.

Breecher_7
02-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Dont be cheap on a helmet.

Buy a Simpson or Bell.

Thats what you call not being cheap? :rolf Those are some of the cheapest helmets you can buy.....

Arai or Shoei are the only brain buckets worth owning... The only ones I would ever trust. :thumbsup

nismodave
02-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Thats what you call not being cheap? :rolf Those are some of the cheapest helmets you can buy.....

Arai or Shoei are the only brain buckets worth owning... The only ones I would ever trust. :thumbsup

Well I have always used them. And they are the choice of Race Car drivers accross the world. So no, i wouldnt call them cheap.

shoooo32
02-10-2009, 12:11 PM

really? I've had a simpson bandit, 3 carbon fiber F1 Bieffe and now wear a Bell. All were well constructed and held up to the abuses of a teenage kart racer. Arai and Shoei are for riding (not auto racing). Arai does make a nice helmet but is not worth the money for a few trips to the grove.

Breecher_7
02-10-2009, 12:16 PM
My head spends more time in a helmet then most people on this board, Helmets are one thing im very oppinionated about. Bell makes some nice helmets, but for the most part, Bell and simpson helmets are very cheap as far as helmets go...

You did say "cheap" dave, not what the "racers" use.....

Heres and idea, go to the store, try on a helmet.... Find one you like and buy it... But if it doesnt say Arai or Shoei on it, i wouldnt trust it... Ive had Arai helmets hit the ground at over 100mph on a couple of occasions. Im still here to talk about it!!!

Again, my oppinion.

nismodave
02-10-2009, 12:24 PM
My head spends more time in a helmet then most people on this board, Helmets are one thing im very oppinionated about. Bell makes some nice helmets, but for the most part, Bell and simpson helmets are very cheap as far as helmets go...

You did say "cheap" dave, not what the "racers" use.....

Heres and idea, go to the store, try on a helmet.... Find one you like and buy it... But if it doesnt say Arai or Shoei on it, i wouldnt trust it... Ive had Arai helmets hit the ground at over 100mph on a couple of occasions. Im still here to talk about it!!!

Again, my oppinion.

Simpson, Bell, Arai, Shoei....All good, not cheap helmets. Shit you buy at Fleet Farm is cheap.

Breecher_7
02-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Define cheap? None of the helmets ive ever owned were under $500. My Arai Corsair RX7 was almost $800 when I bought it, when they first came out. Very light, perfect airflow, locking visor... And it and the others ive owned since have been worth every dime.

nismodave
02-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Shit you buy at Fleet Farm is cheap.

WhatsADSM
02-10-2009, 12:34 PM
IMO if it is comfortable on you and it meets the safety certs that you want it to, then you have found your helmet, doesnt matter about the name on the front. Also I strongly suggest (assuming this is for auto racing) buying an AUTO helmet and not an MOTORCYCLE helmet. Definately safer for use in a car.

Stangman98
02-10-2009, 03:48 PM
I have run a Bell full face and a G Force Full face. Absolutely love my GForce. It also has the attachments for their HANS style device.

RanJer
02-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Also I strongly suggest (assuming this is for auto racing) buying an AUTO helmet and not an MOTORCYCLE helmet. Definately safer for use in a car.

Why? A motorcycle helmet is built to withstand high speed impact with asphalt.. How is it not safe enough to be used while driving a car?

pOrk
02-10-2009, 04:09 PM
dont be cheap on a helmet.

Buy a simpson or bell.

lol!!!

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?
The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:

1. The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
2. The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
3. The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi impact test while M standard does not.

Stangman98
02-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Why? A motorcycle helmet is built to withstand high speed impact with asphalt.. How is it not safe enough to be used while driving a car?

They are rated completely different. Small tracks you can get away with an M rated helmet, just don't try it at a bigger track

Stangman98
02-10-2009, 04:14 PM
http://www.smf.org/

WhatsADSM
02-10-2009, 04:33 PM

I know one of the big ones is fire protection. In a car it is very easy to be in a fire situation where as the likely hood of that occurring on a motorcycle is very low. So the SA helmet will be made out of fire retardant materials whereas the M does not have to be.

I also believe an SA helmet is certified for roll bar impact whereas the M is not. The typical load that is experienced on the helmet during a crash is different between a motorcycle and automobile. The motorcycle may have a single larger impact, but if you are in an automobile you may have multiple impacts with the roll bar, so SA helmets undergo an additional test for the roll bar impacts.

Some sanctioning bodies will let you go with an M-rated helmet in a car and some wont. If you want to be safest, both for your health and potential of not getting rejected for an event, get an SA rated helmet.

stealthy1ss
02-10-2009, 05:24 PM
I am only looking for a SA2000 or 2005 helmet. Thanks for the recommendations, I will check them out.

Flicktitty
02-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Behlings racing in butler. All they handle is racing products

xALOT! :headbang

Russ Jerome
02-12-2009, 10:48 PM
What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?

Thats a great point pork, you can spend $1000 and not
get an NHRA/IHRA helmet and likewise you can spend
$100 for a SA2000 rated helmet that would do little to
save your @$$ on a motorcycle.

http://www.smf.org/

Some standards are voluntary and others are mandatory
to carry SNELL ratings. Run your skull into a piece of
concrete head on and it realy doesnt matter what you
paid because your gonna die regardless :eek: