PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Brake Warning Light - Saturn

DirtyMax
02-09-2009, 09:08 AM
So this morning, the brake dash warning light would come on as soon as I got to about 20 mph while accelerating (into second gear basically.. five speed manual car btw). It would stay on until I began decelerating (like exiting off on at an off ramp or coming to a stoplight) at which point it would go off. When I was stopped (brake pedal pushed or not), no light. Car stops fine, nothing seems to be hanging up, etc. Pull parking brake, light comes on, release parking brake, lights go off.

So who's got an answer to this riddle???

Thanks!

WhatsADSM
02-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Just something to check, but I know some vehicles will illuminate that light when they are low on fluid. And it is especially noticeable on acceleration/deceleration because the fluid gets moved around.

That_Guy
02-09-2009, 09:34 AM
What year?

Reverend Cooper
02-09-2009, 09:34 AM
yeah its prolly just low in the master,one of two things,either there is a leak check all lines,calipers and hoses lastly if it has rear drums brakes pull that outer rubber seal up a bit by the plungers.second,as the linings wear normally if not worn out the brake system will gradually take fluid from the master as it needs more to push the lower (worn) linings out. if all looks good check the cap on the master for the proper fluid and flill to max line on master.

oh yeah make sure the e-brake is not engaged either

DirtyMax
02-09-2009, 09:44 AM
I will check the fluid level later on. Makes perfect sense actually. As for the model year, it's a 94. E-Brake is all good. The light goes on and off as it should when I mess with that.

No fluid leaks from what I can tell. I will have to check that out. I did front brakes on it in October but have never had the rear tires off of it.

Thanks all for the input!

DirtyMax
02-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Couple ounces of fluid did the trick. It wasn't dangerously low but right at the sensor so whan I was in motion, inertia was probably taking the fluid away from the sensor.

I'll just keep an eye and make sure it's not going anywhere.

Thanks again! As soon as you said something about fluid, the light bulb went on...