PDA

View Full Version : does anyone on here do house windows

Trutildeathxxx
02-08-2009, 08:11 PM
i came home yesterday and the glass had fell out of my window frame, granted they are really old wood frame windows so it is about time anyway, but if anyone does installs window or has any recommendations let me know, thanks

deuceWI
02-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Are they the old double hung windows with the weights in the walls?

If so, swapping them out for more efficient replacements is super simple. I had a home improvement friend help me out with 20+ windows in our house. Just make double sure the measurements are right and the rest will go super smooth. It's worth spending a couple extra dollars for nicer windows, the super cheap ones can be a pain in the ass to install right. Better ones just slide right in.

If you have to deal with some other window design, then I dunno, but I could refer a friend.

1997 Trans-Am
02-08-2009, 08:39 PM
you looking to just replace the glass or actually get replacement windows such as a vinyl replacement double hung? or what?

Trutildeathxxx
02-08-2009, 08:44 PM
they do not have the wieghts in the wall, i want to replace the whole window with a vinyl replacement, i considered just getting new glass cut but, the rest of the window is super drafty as well. i geuss it is a pretty standard size, so i dont think finding a window would be an issue

1997 Trans-Am
02-08-2009, 09:11 PM
you can get vinyl replacement windows from home depot or menards for pretty cheap. like around $150 installed. i think they come and measure and they would order them. im not sure how it works with them.

me and my dad install replacement windows and doors for a living. what i can tell you is the home depot windows are cheap and crappy. you get what you pay for. i dont know what your budget is but i know the windows we use are maybe twice the price of home depot (installed.) thats for a decent vinyl double hung. we get them from Alside. the problem is they are all custom made so it would take a few weeks to order

you can call 414-750-2531 between 9:30-3:30 to get an estimate or if you have any questions. thst is the office number for the company we work for. 'Affordable windows doors and more'

lordairgtar
02-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Spend the extra bucks on the good ones, trust me, you will be happier.

awsomeears
02-08-2009, 11:08 PM
With windows the saying " You get what you pay for " is right on the $$$$

Stick with a name brands like Pella, Wasco or Marvin. My uncle has been doing residential work for the past 20 + years loves Pella. He said the customer service and any warranty issue is Top Notch. Plus the craftsmanship is Excellent :thumbsup

I'll PM you his # if you are interested give him a ring and shoot the bull.

Since I do HVAC I'm in hundreds of homes each year, you would shit your pants to find out most of the people who have brand new windows installed in the past 5 years ramble on to me how shitty they are and how pissed they are. Reason they tell me about it is that I know the cost of energy and how to make a home nice and warm, I guess I'm there shoulder to lean on hahaha.

I always ask " How much did you pay for them, or who installed them "

Usually its " Well I have a friend that is a handyman that said they were double x1000 and triple argon rated UV protected top notch windows....... LMAO !!!!!!!!!

They paid around $190-$300 for each window, I usually just say " You get what you pay for " I'm not scared to tell them the truth because people are so god dam stupid. When you talking about saving energy in a home its not cheap. You have to spend a decent amount to get a return of equal or a tad less.

Pretty much like I said before " You get what you pay for "

deuceWI
02-09-2009, 09:23 AM
I'll say it again, you get what you pay for.

The comparison I've heard is that the most expensive nicest home depot / menards window is about equivalent to the cheapest 'good' quality window.

Either way, custom windows are gunna take some time, so for now maybe a tube of caulk is your answer.

Windsors 03 Cobra
02-09-2009, 10:10 AM
I bought great quality Andersen windows from the De-Pot. 34"x54", took a month to make and cost $400 each. I never knew windows could be so nice. :thumbsup

Installation was easy even for a 2 bit hack like myself, pull out the sashs and their stops put the new frame in, put in the new sashes and caulk it home. :shades

I have about 20 more that need replacing, the kind with the sash weights in da frame. Circa 1897. :goof

A B4C Z
02-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Pm U_say_go his dad does windows

jbiscuit
02-09-2009, 12:58 PM
make sure to use insulation/expanding foam in the gaps when you shim the new window in. Filling those gaps will eliminate drafts completely.