PDA

View Full Version : DOWNtown Chicago Parking, Need ADVICE.....

Car Guy
02-07-2009, 07:30 PM
We are heading down to the Auto show in Chicago; however, I have NO clue on where to park. If you have any advice to share please do so, I have this picture in my mind of being 'fed to the lions' if I go down there unprepared.....:stare

Breecher_7
02-07-2009, 07:52 PM
There are parking lots that they will direct you to and a shuttle bus that runs to the convention center.... You will be paying to park, end of story.

pOrk
02-07-2009, 07:55 PM
http://www.chicagoparkingmap.com/

Nick
02-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Just park at McCormick

pOrk
02-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Park in Kenosha and take the train, its 5 bucks to take the train all weekend ( there and back included ) and 2 bucks to take the L in Chicago

deuceWI
02-07-2009, 09:26 PM
If you're driving to McCormick, bring an extra $15+ and just park in the attached parking structure. It's usually an easy in and easy out to the freeway. It's worth the extra money to not have to worry about a $50 parking ticket. Plus you can leave your coat in the car and you won't be outside too long freezing your butt off.

If you're going on the cheap the only better alternative is train / bus, but I hate public transport.

Car Guy
02-08-2009, 12:04 AM
I'm not against paying to park, just trying to find the best location to do so. What can I expect to pay...???

Breecher_7
02-08-2009, 06:54 AM
i'm not against paying to park, just trying to find the best location to do so. what can i expect to pay...???

$8-10

Waver
02-08-2009, 08:30 AM
if you do McCormick like was said, you wont have any problems, 15 bucks and it is relitivly safe....I had to stay at a hotel around there a few years ago for a business meeting. Otherwise if you dont mind walking, and you dont want to deal with the chicago traffic (most pia in the world) take the train into town from Bufflao grove/pallitine area, that is like only 5-10 bucks at most

formul8
02-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Just park at McCormick

:thumbsup The hassle to save a few bucks isn't worth it. Just cough up the $15.

1320PNY
02-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Parking for Chicago WOW was $17.

You take 90/94 South and take the EXPRESS lane on the LEFT until you get all the way down to OHIO street.
You want to be in the RIGHT lane of the Express lane at this point because you'll be getting dumped back into 90/94 general.
You need to begin moving RIGHT to get to the McCormick Place off ramp. So just move at least 1 lane every 1/4 mile and don't let the FIBs push you out.
Once you're over there you will get onto a TWO LANE off ramp. Stay in the LEFT lane of the off ramp.
You will get dumped out and need to IMMEDIATELY be on the RIGHT for the "A" parking lot. So AS SOON as you get off on the ramp you will want to be on the FAR LEFT.
There is a traffic light and a sign that has a YELLOW round symbol with the "A" on it. This is the WEST BLDG.
DO NOT TURN as the entrance to the parking area is a "go straight" from the "A" lot turn at the light. Trust me, you want to go slow and possibly catch this light and get your bearings.
Once you get into the building, the two RIGHT lanes are IN and the far Left lane is out. DO NOT cross over into the area on the other side of the pillars, but by all means, take a lane to the LEFT (up to two rows) if it looks faster.

All that said, the wife and I are headed down the 21st. I go there about 2 times a month on business. If you need a guide or want a ride, PM me.

GinoRin
02-08-2009, 10:24 PM
We go down every year and jus take the train from downtown milwaukee to downtown chicago. $44 bux a person roundtrip. Its a nice ride, and you can get drunk in chicago and sober up on the ride home while takin' a nap. Always a good time!! We usually make a day out of it and stay down for dinner too.

Car Guy
02-09-2009, 12:03 AM
I honestly thought that parking would be a LOT more than $15, thanks for the info everybody.....:thumbsup

sdb300zx
02-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Madison Dave and I are going down to the car show Friday the 20th, when are you going??

Cleveland Dave
02-09-2009, 12:03 PM
yeah i would suggest parking at the mcCormick its usually around 15 dollars to park. were getting a hotel though so were taking the free shuttle there.

Car Guy
02-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Not exactly sure yet when we are going.....

Korndogg
02-09-2009, 12:49 PM
I always take the train when I go down there but I don't go from downtown. I go from the airport station. Im as lost as you are when it comes to parking down there lol.

Cleveland Dave
02-09-2009, 01:28 PM
just follow the signs when u get on to 55 or either side of lake shore there is parking.

Car Guy
02-09-2009, 01:42 PM
I considered the train but from what I could see the station is still a few miles away from where the show is being held......

ricksws7
02-09-2009, 06:16 PM
I go every year and usually park on a side street about 2 blocksaway. Last time I parked in Mcormick place at the hotel. Cheaper on the street but closer at the lot if you have the extra cash. Rick

Windsors 03 Cobra
02-09-2009, 07:20 PM
If a train was utilized there are shuttle busses from the major downtown train stations.
North Shore Metra trains cost about $12 round trip, the end of the line is Ogilvie.
From the C.A.S. website : CTA also will operate two special Auto Show bus routes. One will provide convenient connections with CTA's rail lines downtown and Metra lines at Ogilvie Transportation Center, Union Station and LaSalle Street station. Service will operate approximately every 15 minutes on weekdays and approximately every 12 minutes on weekends between 9 a.m. and 11 p.m. each day, and until 9 p.m. on Sunday, February 22.

The Metra North Shore line comes to Kenosha but has limited service with only a few morning and night trains. Waukegan has regular service and ample secure(imo) parking.

I've only gone 3 times and have rode the train down once-left car in Waukegan and it survived unscathed.
Drove down once-parking was $20 5 years ago
Spent the night once, gave up the car at Mag Mile hotel and took a bus to the show and a cab back. Cab ride was $20, bus ride was $2.
I like driving down there, I like riding the train down and of course the show is always great. Probably the first year Chicago's show is bigger and better than Detroit's NAIAS and its crappy COBO venue.
Love seeing the new cars, gives me something to look faroward to owning in 15 years. ......:rolf