PDA

View Full Version : Saga Continues

2006wrxtr
02-07-2009, 10:42 AM
So the tuner gave me a bad tune took out the head gasket and scared the top of the block. The whole engine needs to be torn down, block decked and at least one new piston.

So I was thinking about changing the combo around a bit.

Now it has 347 strim T5
Was thinking?

badass88gt
02-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Make the tuner fix everything that he melted down and save your money for a good transmission.

lordairgtar
02-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Can't comment cuz i don't know what the hell any of those things are.:confused

Feature Pony
02-07-2009, 03:29 PM
go with a tremec TKO 600 and now you'll have a bullet proof tranny, sell the motor and get a 331 low comp and go with a T-trim.

Sprayaway Fox
02-07-2009, 04:24 PM
I have a MMR900 From what I have been hearing not a lot of people are happy with the new TKO 5 and 6's and the MMR's. Mines at Port Ponies getting 3 4 fixed rite now. If you can find a old school 3350 they take a lot of abuse.

If your not head studded this would be a good time to be. If your running a regular graphite gasket would also be a good time to switch. I have seen engine builders not use the correct gasket for a set of alum heads also. GL.

Breecher_7
02-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Yeah, welcome to the shitstorm ive been dealing with.. We are up to over $4000 in damaged or incorrect parts on the vette do to someone elses incompetence.

Car Guy
02-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Where is the 'make the tuner pay' option...??? :shades

2006wrxtr
02-07-2009, 07:17 PM
he doesn't admit any wrong doing, could take him to court but that would probably end up costing me as much as fixing it.

BAD LS1
02-07-2009, 07:25 PM
if there was one of those "sign your life away" waviers signed up front there may not much can be pinned on the guy. Again shit happens and when you make any kinda decent power, the room for error window gets very tiny. Only the experienced guys will know what can be gotten away with before its too late and the amateurs always push the limits to get every last drop of hp.

broken parts is detonation and burned/melted is pre ignition, so u have an idea of what the failure mode was when looking at it.

Breecher_7
02-07-2009, 07:50 PM
he doesn't admit any wrong doing, could take him to court but that would probably end up costing me as much as fixing it.

Damn does this sound familiar......... Open up your checkbook, your fucked.

badass88gt
02-08-2009, 12:10 AM
I have a MMR900 From what I have been hearing not a lot of people are happy with the new TKO 5 and 6's and the MMR's. Mines at Port Ponies getting 3 4 fixed rite now. If you can find a old school 3350 they take a lot of abuse.

If your not head studded this would be a good time to be. If your running a regular graphite gasket would also be a good time to switch. I have seen engine builders not use the correct gasket for a set of alum heads also. GL.

Mark James has been running regular graphite head gaskets on his boosted car for many years, well into the 10 second zone. Its not the material of the gasket that makes them fail, its the tune.

BOSS LX
02-08-2009, 12:17 AM
IF you used a graphite gasket, I am surprised you hurt the deck.

As far as the combo goes, just stick with it. If it was easy, it wouldn't be cool!

If it was my car, it would get an auto of some sort.

Sprayaway Fox
02-08-2009, 03:00 AM
Mark James has been running regular graphite head gaskets on his boosted car for many years, well into the 10 second zone. Its not the material of the gasket that makes them fail, its the tune.

Yes the standard FP 1011 but there are newer supposedly better gaskets also. Also can say I put in buds "Machine shop crate engine" that had AZ permatourques on a set of Brodix's though.Ya never know until you know.

1 hiccup in a tune on a boosted app will milk it. You are talking 4 bolts a cyl which really isnt much when your pushing around 12 and up plus a aluminum head that expands different. Shits gotta be spot on and bolted tite. The graph you had put you around the 500 RWP if it isnt studded, stud it.

Best advice for WRX, Machine shop it have them check how the block deck is. usually when a gasket goes you only have to clean up the Alum. Head. If the head check flat just throw a new gasket on it. is to take it in the ass. And find a different shop.

As Boss said possibly a auto. With that kind of power your making with a 5 speed I dont care if its a TKO600 MMR900 with some strip time with a 5 speed, SHIT WILL BREAK. Plus if you get on that thing it going to be a handfull if it hooks with 500 RWP. If your just cruising around and a lil strip time you will have more fun with the 5 though. Dragracing and limited street C4 and T brake it.

Waver
02-08-2009, 08:49 AM
dude, I think it is the car, it has been bad luck since you got it....