PDA

View Full Version : amplifier shutting off

Cleveland Dave
02-05-2009, 03:29 PM
could be my ghetto install that i did...but the amp and subs have been working for 6 months.....now in the last week or so my amp will turn on for about 30 seconds then go into standby mode. red light vs. green light on a sony xplode amp.

im not sure what the issue is...ive checked all the connections, and they seem to be ok and not loose.

any ideas?

88Nightmare
02-05-2009, 03:36 PM
maybe its overheating and shutting itself off?

otherwise id say trace the wires, especially the trigger wire

Cleveland Dave
02-05-2009, 03:40 PM
well it used to overheat once in awhile after an hour of use....now it happens 30 seconds after turning on the car....after playing around with it a bit...it will stay on as long as the volume is low, as soon as i turn up the receiver past 12 or 14 it shuts off.

PureSound15
02-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Is one sub blown? If the coils are melted together that's going to put a ton of strain on the amp.

Does it play music for that 30 seconds that it's on? And does it pop when it turns on? Was there any engine whine before it started to do that?

Sounds to me like a wiring issue, honestly. Are the speaker wires touching eachother - usually amps will go into protect when they cannot handle the impedance that's being shown to them.

And... it's a Sony :)

Cleveland Dave
02-05-2009, 03:47 PM
1 sub is blown...i took it out and pulled the wires from inside the box so that they wouldn't touch each other. 1 sub has been working for the last couple of months. ill recheck all the wires tonight and see what i can find out.

i bought the amp, subs, and wiring for 200 bucks and a zune mp3 player from my sister after my subs and amp were stolen. so thats why i have a crappy sony amp.

Russ Jerome
02-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Jump the 12v power feed over to the blue signal line in, that
will eliminate wiring issue. If you were lacking a major ground
or feed you wouldnt have the red/green indicator light.

If that works then its wiring, if it still fails pull the speaker
wires from the output, if it stays on then its the speakers.
If it still goes out its the amp.

bmatson
02-09-2009, 02:20 PM
sand down your ground wire terminal and location and make sure the power wire is securley connected. also check the thin 12v source that goes to the back of your deck