PDA

View Full Version : I want to "Build" a beach, will this work?

badass88gt
02-03-2009, 05:42 AM
We have a big weed/muck problem at my buddie's place on the lake. Its a private lake and we want to make a nice swimming area for the kids. Under the muck we know its sand, but it gets all overgrown with cattails and weeds and we were thinking of getting a big-ass sheet of plastic or poly, or something along those lines, setting it out on the ice now, and when the ice melts it will drop, long before any vegetation grows.

Has anyone ever tried something like this, or have any better ideas? Thanks-Dan

BoosTT
02-03-2009, 08:07 AM
I might work. I think it'll be more hassle then other ideas. But, the only other idea I can think of is getting the weeds removed by a pro.

jbiscuit
02-03-2009, 08:09 AM
not worth the effort. To have it truly nice out there, going to have them cut out...

Car Guy
02-03-2009, 08:58 AM
There are much better ways of going about it......:)

Silver03SRT
02-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Dont let the DNR find out about this.

We put a beach in by my friends place up north on a private lake and it worked until we stopped swimming in there and let the weeds grow back.
You have to go in there and rake out all the area where you want the beach then put down pea gravel as a base layer after you have that all smoothed out put the sand on top of it. It might cost a little bit but thats the way we did it and it worked. Takes some time and a little muscle but it will look nice.

Jsho13
02-03-2009, 09:44 AM
We have this problem up north at our cottage. It seems that no matter how hard you work, the muck keeps coming back. We do a few things - we take the waverunner and have a couple people hold the front and blow the muck out (works really well actually), and we have a big trash pump that we use to suck the muck up and put it farther down the beach. It's a never ending battle.

Dumping sand in the lake is illegal by DNR standards, they will let you do peagravel though. A neighbor down the way dumped a bunch of peagravel in front of their house - not sure how it held up.

DRK
02-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Dont let the DNR find out about this.

X2.... private or not they are the land and game NAZIs

LIL EVO
02-03-2009, 10:03 AM
There was a "dirty jobs" episode on just this. A company came in with big pumps and hoses and sucked out all the shit on the bottom. Muck, sticks, weeds, etc. After they were done, they revealed the nice sandy bottom underneath all the muck.

badass88gt
02-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Yeah, he's checking on the legalities. Keep the ideas coming! Thanks-Dan

DRK
02-03-2009, 10:30 AM
There was a "dirty jobs" episode on just this. A company came in with big pumps and hoses and sucked out all the shit on the bottom. Muck, sticks, weeds, etc. After they were done, they revealed the nice sandy bottom underneath all the muck.

I believe Proscapes in Madison does pond sucking

badass88gt
02-03-2009, 10:37 AM
lol, that sounds funny.

88Nightmare
02-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Dan, send me a pm, I can help you with this

GTSLOW
02-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Dan, send me a pm, I can help you with this

I take it you can help him in the sucking category? :goof

lordairgtar
02-03-2009, 05:06 PM
In the Mississippi River down south in the states of Mississippi and Louisiana they laid a rubber matting on the river bottom to keep the area free of shifting sands and other muck for the barge traffic.

Russ Jerome
02-03-2009, 05:21 PM
The muck itself is the hardest thing to overcome. We
dropped 3 loads of stone and crushed rock at the shorline
and pushed it out as far as we could with the excavator,
what we couldnt reach we used a 60' Lebair to swing the
stone out to a nice point. Coverd all that with a LOT of
sand. Without heavy equipment the muck will pretty much
eat up all your fill.

If your serious about it I can hook you up with the man.

badass88gt
02-03-2009, 05:28 PM
I take it you can help him in the sucking category? :goof

At first I thought the same thing........He sure gots a purty mouth....:goof

badass88gt
02-03-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm gonna wait to hear back from him regarding the legalities of it before wasting anyone's time. Thanks doods!

WickedSix
02-03-2009, 05:48 PM
had a friend who put rock down on his and he got a HUGE fine by the DNR for 'destroying wetland'

badass88gt
02-03-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm curious, do you know how much the fine was?

WickedSix
02-03-2009, 06:12 PM
IIRC it was ~2000 and he had to pay to return the environment back the way it was...so rock went by by muck came back...idk if the 2G included that cost or not

udlose98
02-03-2009, 06:13 PM
I Have a friend who used to this for a living every summer (lakefront cleanup) was the name of the business.

I could get in contact with him if interested.

Russ Jerome
02-03-2009, 07:20 PM
WI DNR is full of retards, they "want" wetlands but when
you turn a muddy creek into a 17acre lake ( thats the
traditional definition of a lake,17 acres) they want to fine you......never seen so much wildlife move in after that!

A landowner we did work for accepted the DNRs offer
of 17,000$ a year tax break on a quary we converted
if they could plant native wildflowers, great! They
proceded to trash every creek in the area trying to
get their tractors out to plant the flowers...

WDNR paid my buddy to do those creeks you see in the
S Kettle morain for trout....they said they were "too"
deep.....hello there trout streams!

I've delt with them in air managment and soil abatement
programs as well, its like arguing with a 4 yr old. I've seen
the pictures early settlers painted of SE WI at the museum,
the DNR doesnt want it to look that way at all. If your going to get a permit you may as well forget it.

Car Guy
02-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Is it really that bad...??? I know a few people who were fined but there situations included them acting like morons in one way or another.....

GTSLOW
02-03-2009, 07:51 PM
At first I thought the same thing........He sure gots a purty mouth....:goof

:rolf!