PDA

View Full Version : Truck is Borked....

DirtyMax
02-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Came out this morning and noticed a red puddle under my truck. Slithered under there and noticed that the trans fluid lines were leaking near front compression fittings. Called and the dealer said bring it on in. They confirmed my diagnosis and the dealer had them in stock so they took it right away. Went back a few hours later to get the truck once they finished the job. The tech and I went to pull out of the service area and the CEL was on and "Engine Reduced Power" was on the DIC. Tech hooked up the Tech 2 and it pulled MAF Sensor and IAT Sensor Codes. Checked connections, reset CEL codes, started engine... came back on after 90 seconds. Hooked ECM up via WIfi and tried reflash, cleared codes, restarted, CEL came back on 90 seconds later again.

The tech (friend of mine) seemed stumped. Hope they figure it out tomorrow. I'm very thankful it limped at the dealer and not on the road somewhere though. Something probably got bumped, pinched, etc. or someone touched the MAP meter???

And to top it off, I got a Cobalt loaner for my troubles, LOL. Guess I should be happy I got anything....

Breecher_7
02-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Check for condensation at the MAP sensor, pull the sensor and clean it. There is a TSB for this on the LMM and there is a new intake pipe that was designed to move the MAP closer to the engine that keeps it warmer to eliminate this problem.

If thats not the problem, i dont know then.

DirtyMax
02-02-2009, 09:41 PM
I will let them know to check that tomorrow. The truck is spending the night indoors at the dealership....

Breecher_7
02-02-2009, 09:51 PM
I will let them know to check that tomorrow. The truck is spending the night indoors at the dealership....

If he hasnt checked that yet he should be fired... The lack of competence in the dealer techs ive been seeing lately is ******* horrible. Shouldnt you know somthing about the shit your fixing?

I guess expecting people to do there jobs now adays is just to much to ask. I havent had my current truck or my last two trucks before that into the dealership without having to walk the techs through what is wrong with them and how to fix them...

I love the "we couldnt duplicate the problem" exscuse to... Especially when you can walk over to the truck and make it do what you said it was doing and they just scratch there head.

Oh and if you ever complain about a rattle or a squeak, you might as well just fix it yourself.....

I want my GMT800's interior back, the interior in the 900 blows....

DirtyMax
02-02-2009, 09:57 PM
He took it apart in from of me and inspected it but didn't physically clean it. It was easy enough to get apart that I'm sure if I ask him to humor me, he will.

I got to drive his 1/2 ton Silvy while mine was getting fixed. Makes me miss the 1/2 ton ride quality....

Lemon Law??? I kind of like the Blue color, LOL....

That_Guy
02-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Check for condensation at the MAP sensor, pull the sensor and clean it. There is a TSB for this on the LMM and there is a new intake pipe that was designed to move the MAP closer to the engine that keeps it warmer to eliminate this problem.

If thats not the problem, i dont know then.

my dad had that problem with his truck

Breecher_7
02-02-2009, 10:00 PM
He took it apart in from of me and inspected it but didn't physically clean it. It was easy enough to get apart that I'm sure if I ask him to humor me, he will.

I got to drive his 1/2 ton Silvy while mine was getting fixed. Makes me miss the 1/2 ton ride quality....

Lemon Law??? I kind of like the Blue color, LOL....

I would ask him to clean it, if that doesnt work, replace it..... Seems there are alot of issues with the LMM stemming from the MAP sensor.

DirtyMax
02-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Maybe disassembling it all indoors (needed to be done to do the lines) caused moisture to get in there. He'll probably show up in the morning and it will be fine. I will ask him to check on the TSB for the pipe though....

Breecher_7
02-03-2009, 05:35 AM
this tsb came out on 12/18/07

document #2046112
SES Light Due To DTCs P0101 And/Or P0106 - Inspect Air Filter And/Or MAP Sensor - keywords 6.6L air diesel DTC engine freeze ice icing inlet intake LBZ LLY LMM mode power reduce reduced SES tube #PIP4298A - (12/18/2007)

Models:2006-2008 Chevrolet Silverado
2006-2008 GMC Sierra
with 6.6L Diesel Engine (RPOs LBZ, LLY, or LMM)

This PI was superseded to update repair suggestions. Please discard PIP4298.
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=2046112&evc=numSrch#ss1-2046112">Condition/Concern:

You may encounter a vehicle with reduced engine power and a SES light on due to DTC P0101 and/or P0106. The P0101 may be the result of an air filter that is packed with ice or snow. The P0106 may be the result of condensation that has frozen inside of the MAP sensor. The P0106 will only occur in areas where the vehicle is at, or below, freezing for a long period of time with or without snow.
If these DTCs are experienced in warmer climates where ice and snow is not a factor, this PI does not apply.
<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=2046112&evc=numSrch#ss2-2046112">Recommendation/Instructions:

Complete the SI diagnostics for any DTC or symptom found. If a P0106 is stored and the concern above is experienced, inspect the MAP sensor inlet. If a P0101 is stored and the concern above is experienced, inspect the air filter to determine if it is packed with ice or snow. If there is condensation, water, or an oily substance in the MAP sensor inlet, or if the air filter is packed with ice or snow, perform the suggestions below and evaluate the concern:
<LI type=1>Call the GM Technical Assistance Center (GM TAC) to order an updated air inlet tube that has an updated MAP sensor location. At this time, this updated air inlet tube is only available through GM TAC, not GMSPO. A TAC consultant will order a complete air inlet tube assembly for you by following the internal administrative details section of this PI. <LI type=1>Order new gaskets for the EGR valve, Intake Air Heater, and Intake Manifold Tube. There are two gaskets for the Intake Air Heater, one for the Intake Tube to Intake Manifold Tube, and two gaskets for the EGR valve to Intake Tube. <LI type=1>Refer to the "Intake Manifold Tube Replacement" procedure in SI and replace the air inlet tube with the updated air inlet tube received from TAC. <LI type=1>The original Map sensor will remain in it's original position. Disconnect the MAP sensor electrical connector and connect it to the new MAP sensor that is in the updated location. <LI type=1>The Intake Air Heater/Map sensor wiring harness is retained to the intake tube with a metal bracket and a bolt. Remove the bolt and re-route the wiring harness so it will reach the new MAP sensor location. Retain the wiring harness as needed. <LI type=1>Reprogram the ECM with the latest calibrations if they are not present already. <LI type=1>If the vehicle is equipped with a two-piece grill cover, install the grill cover portion only. Do not install the lower portion that covers the front bumper. If the vehicle is not equipped with a two-piece grill cover, supply the customer with the grill cover portion only. Do not install the lower portion that covers the front bumper. Notice: Some 2008 GMT900 Trucks (New Body Style) may be equipped with a combined, one-piece grill and bumper cover. Customers should follow the owner's manual for further instructions on using this cover, and they should not tow heavy loads with it installed. These vehicles should have the combined, one-piece grill and bumper cover replaced with a one piece grill cover (does not cover the bumper), which is Part # 25822811.
<LI type=1>The customer should be instructed to only install the grill cover for cold weather driving. They can use the following guidelines so they know when to use the grill cover:
• Trailer Towing: Use it up to 1.7C (35 F)
• Non-Trailer Towing: Use it up to 4.5C (40 F)
On 2007 Models with engine RPO LMM only: Replace the air filter with the one listed in bulletin 07-06-04-033.

DirtyMax
02-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Repair flow chart followed points to ECM failure. New ECM is en route.

Something about excessive ground resistance on the MAF circuit???

I dunno about that all that crap I just hope it works....

How the shit an ECM could fail ironically at the same time tranny fulid lines are replaced is beyond me but I hope the ol' flow chart is right...

Breecher_7
02-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Do you have the old ECM? Lets put it in my truck and see if it does the same thing.... Id find it hard to believe the ECM took a shit.

DirtyMax
02-03-2009, 08:31 PM
ECM was not the problem. MAP sensor is the only thing they haven't been able to swap out yet because they had to order one to be shipped from far far away. It's the absolute last thing on the flowchart. I can't believe it's after swapping the whole ECM... but he said it is.

I guess he had to completely reformat the new ECM. Good news is I got a new ECM.. bad news is I'll be fuggin pissed if I lose my freakish fuel mileage I have been getting. Hopefully he was bright enough to copy the parameters...

Breecher_7
02-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Told ya it was the map sensor.... :thumbsup

DirtyMax
02-03-2009, 08:58 PM
We'll see tomorrow. :)

If not, I told them they can just lemon law it and order me up a blue one this time... :goof

I wish I could get a hold of the old ECM and keep it as a "spare".. :devil I'm sure they need to send the part back to be reimbursed though....

Breecher_7
02-03-2009, 09:07 PM
We'll see tomorrow. :)

If not, I told them they can just lemon law it and order me up a blue one this time... :goof

I wish I could get a hold of the old ECM and keep it as a "spare".. :devil I'm sure they need to send the part back to be reimbursed though....

Wont do any good. ECM logs total number of regen cycles, Milage since last regen cycle, and fuel consumed. Milage on the truck wont match up to the data in the factory ECM if you swap them out for dealer visits. There is NO way around it, GM got smart. Your only choice is Banks or Edge as they piggyback and dont re-program the ECM. And even those are detectable in the TCM as it logs abnormal transmission slippage and other torque related parameters, although they cant prove anything based on that. Banks and Edge is your only choice if you dont want to risk your warranty...

brotherbenn83
02-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Considering he probably had to pull out at least part of the airbox and disconnect the MAF in the process, I'd say that's where the problem resides. It seems unusual to me they wouldn't have a used duramax laying around the lot to try swapping parts. The flow charts are usually pretty terrible, PCM failure nowadays are virtually unheard of. Which lines leaked? The two off the radiator or all 3 of them?

brotherbenn83
02-03-2009, 10:05 PM
If he hasnt checked that yet he should be fired... The lack of competence in the dealer techs ive been seeing lately is ******* horrible. Shouldnt you know somthing about the shit your fixing?

I guess expecting people to do there jobs now adays is just to much to ask. I havent had my current truck or my last two trucks before that into the dealership without having to walk the techs through what is wrong with them and how to fix them...

I love the "we couldnt duplicate the problem" exscuse to... Especially when you can walk over to the truck and make it do what you said it was doing and they just scratch there head.

Oh and if you ever complain about a rattle or a squeak, you might as well just fix it yourself.....

I want my GMT800's interior back, the interior in the 900 blows....

WORST GRAMMAR EVER. You have a lot of hate for dealer techs apparently. It's understandable to be upset with people you have "worked with" in the past...just please don't lump ALL of us into the same group.

DirtyMax
02-03-2009, 10:53 PM
It seems unusual to me they wouldn't have a used duramax laying around the lot to try swapping parts. The two off the radiator or all 3 of them?

Yeah, not one Duramax truck on the lot or he'd have just taken the parts from it.

The 2 leaking were the 2 off the radiator right at the compression fittings after the bend to go up.

Breecher_7
02-04-2009, 05:58 AM
WORST GRAMMAR EVER. You have a lot of hate for dealer techs apparently. It's understandable to be upset with people you have "worked with" in the past...just please don't lump ALL of us into the same group.

Sorry, i just kinda type and dont really think about spelling or grammar on here.. But yeah, my grammar does suck for the most part.

I have only once had a good experience with a dealer tech.... Heiser chevy in west allis has a good trans guy. Other then that, I have not faith. My truck went back to the dealer 6 times for a oil leak, to 6 different dealers. I told them the first damn time that it was leaking from the turbo, draining back over the manifold and leaking down the backside of the engine. 4 of them told me the rear main was bad, 2 of them told me they couldnt find a leak, all of them added dye. NONE of them fixed it even after I told them where it was leaking from. I fixed it myself. And this was just the topping on the cake as far as unresolved warranty issues ive had.

If you would like to try your hand at my warranty issues in the future, by all means Ill come to you. :thumbsup

Breecher_7
02-04-2009, 05:59 AM
Yeah, not one Duramax truck on the lot or he'd have just taken the parts from it.

The 2 leaking were the 2 off the radiator right at the compression fittings after the bend to go up.

Very common. And im still betting on Map sensor. But im not a tech, so if im wrong it doesnt matter... Let the parts exchangers handle it.... :rolf

DirtyMax
02-04-2009, 09:10 AM
If I had to bet, they probably removed my airbox, dropped it on the ground, and jarred/damaged the MAF sensor. A little too ironic that it went in for trans cooler lines and now all of a sudden the MAF circuit is geeking out....

Breecher_7
02-04-2009, 11:53 AM
You said it was pointing to the map eariler, now its the MAF? was that just a typo?

DirtyMax
02-04-2009, 11:59 AM
The thing in the air intake tube immediately post air filter. Whatever the fuck it's called. MAP MAF i dont know or care any more... just want them to fix my f'ing truck.

Breecher_7
02-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Yeah thats the maf sensor. The map is in the metal intake tube by the turbo.

DirtyMax
02-04-2009, 12:28 PM
10-4. the MAF sensor then is the only part they haven't replaced yet because they didn't have one in stock and no deezelz on the lot to steal it from.

dmaxjay
03-06-2009, 06:29 AM
took my truck in for the tranny lines yesterday and same problem when i came out. what was the problem? did they fix it?

DirtyMax
03-06-2009, 08:12 AM
ended up being the MAF sensor.