PDA

View Full Version : Man that froze to death was a WWII vet

awsomeears
01-28-2009, 10:09 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28900221/

Freezing death of man in house sparks anger
Some want city employees fired or prosecuted over power was limited

In my other thread I mentioned I would be really pissed off if this guy that froze to death was a vet, well sure enough he was and I feel awful for the guy.

RIP ..........

Retired and living alone
One of the saddest things of all was that Schur appeared to have plenty of money, and, in fact, one of the neighbors who entered the home reported seeing cash clipped to a pile of bills on the kitchen table. Schur's nephew suggested the old man's mind may have been slipping.

The medical examiner is looking into whether Schur suffered from dementia, particularly after police found enough cash lying around in the home to cover his bills. His nephew William Walworth said Schur told him two years ago he had $600,000 in savings.

"It's definitely not a situation where money is an issue. The issue has to do with the mental faculties you have and your ability to make good decisions," said Walworth, 67, who lives in Ormond Beach, Fla.

This man Earned a Purple Heart and this is how he's treated :eek:

God dam is that sad :(

That_Guy
01-28-2009, 10:11 PM
those sons of bitches will be seeing a law suite

Car Guy
01-28-2009, 10:13 PM
If this story draws some serious attention heads will roll.....:rolf

Nick
01-28-2009, 10:25 PM
How are people at the gas/electric company supposed to know him on a personal level?

If I don't pay my bills - my shit gets shut off.

It's unfortunate - but i'm sure worse things happen to even better people.

Car Guy
01-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Veterans discount.....:thumbsup

That_Guy
01-28-2009, 10:27 PM
How are people at the gas/electric company supposed to know him on a personal level?

idk.... its just a shitty situation im sure the electric company will get sued weather it has merit or not i know it will happen.

awsomeears
01-28-2009, 10:27 PM

It's unfortunate - but i'm sure worse things happen to even better people.

Actually they do, when any company pulls your name up it will list your age and how long you have paid your bills. 50 years of paying bills and then he messes up.............

Know what I'm saying ?

Nick
01-28-2009, 10:29 PM
They still don't know you on a personal level. In Milwaukee WE-Energies can't shut your power or gas off in mid winter last I knew. Things must be different in Michigan.

It is unfortunate, but it doesn't surprise me and i'm not going to let it ruin my day.

Nick
01-28-2009, 10:32 PM
idk.... its just a shitty situation im sure the electric company will get sued weather it has merit or not i know it will happen.

More than likely - as to whether or not they have a case, that's up to the judicial system. I don't see one though. It was up to the old man to get to warmth. It's not their fault he "may have" been drifting into senility.

Reverend Cooper
01-28-2009, 10:35 PM
lets back this train up,where the fuck is the family to help this guy? now they are around knowing he has 600000 bux in the bank? they are the ones that need to fry first,not the electric company. besides i thought all our bill would be paid now that the messiah is in office?

Voodoo Chick
01-28-2009, 10:42 PM
This whole story just makes me feel like people are basically evil inside.

Russ Jerome
01-28-2009, 10:52 PM
The story was bad before we knew the guy did his duty,
can it get worse?

Voodoo Chick
01-28-2009, 11:08 PM
The story was bad before we knew the guy did his duty,
can it get worse?

I'm sure it can. Everything seems to always have limitless potential to get worse.

MurphysLaw88GT
01-28-2009, 11:13 PM
As Nick said, the Electric does not know dude on a personal level. They are just personal enough to take his money in exchange for services. However, as mentioned...WHERE THE FUCK IS HIS FAMILY? Probably letting the old dude freeze after finding out thet they were in his will for the 600,000K. I will assume the worst in the situation.

Nick
01-28-2009, 11:35 PM
Very good points on the family. Where were they?

******* milky-lickers probably just wanted his cash.

lordairgtar
01-28-2009, 11:49 PM
I know that when people have diminished capacities, the family can get power of attorney and keep track of the bills and such. When my Mom was failing, she decided that my one sister got POA over her business and I had POA over medical.(hated that) The family obviously let their loved one down, but I'm sure the family will be there to squabble over the estate.

Car Guy
01-28-2009, 11:51 PM
:rolf :rolf :rolf

http://www.treehugger.com/poop-freeze.jpg

Sprayaway Fox
01-29-2009, 02:01 AM
Duuuhhhh people, if you dont work and you never served, or filed a income tax form thats how you get your sheet paid for nowadayz.:loser

His family should of been there though, its sad but they were just waiting for him to kick to get the cash. Hes would of been a phone call away.

awsomeears
01-29-2009, 07:41 AM
As noted in my other thread he had no family members, they all died :stare so it was just him............

95 TA - The Beast
01-29-2009, 09:44 AM
As noted in my other thread he had no family members, they all died :stare so it was just him............

Umm, I didn't even want to comment on here, but didn't the above mention his nephew???

I am sure that makes him family, as I am sure if he is the only surviving member he will make a play for whatever assets are left...

The state should look into the past situation with teh guy and if the nephew didn't visit or take care of him, then he shouldn't be allowed to claim anything either...

Again, all speculation, but you get the idea...

PureSound15
01-29-2009, 09:48 AM
those sons of bitches will be seeing a law suite

I'm a bit confused - is a law suite a home made of legislative material where a bunch of governing fathers live? Or perhaps they're going to see a wicked mother-in-law suite?

I'm familar with the word "LAWSUIT" but fail to recognize whatever the FUCK you tried to say in your initial posting.

Voodoo Chick
01-29-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm pretty sure he did, in fact, mean "lawsuit." ;) :)

GTSLOW
01-29-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm a bit confused - is a law suite a home made of legislative material where a bunch of governing fathers live? Or perhaps they're going to see a wicked mother-in-law suite?

I'm familar with the word "LAWSUIT" but fail to recognize whatever the FUCK you tried to say in your initial posting.

hahah :rolf

Karps TA
02-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Update http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/04/freezing.death.folo/index.html

Looks like the guy had money, just didn't want to pay his bills. They think he's leaving a hospital @ $600,000.00

Yooformula
02-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Update http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/04/freezing.death.folo/index.htmlLooks like the guy had money, just didn't want to pay his bills.
regardless, doesnt make it ok for him to die over a bill. nobody knows what his last year might have been like, at his age perhaps he had some neuro issues that werent reported.

they still could have waited until spring to limit power like they do here for deadbeats. nothing is ever said about prior years of payment, so I would assume he paid for the approx 50 years he lived there otherwise it would have been noted that he was a habitual non payer??

payment or not, not ok to let a man die.