PDA

View Full Version : The sport of MMA, please discuss.....

Car Guy
01-27-2009, 03:31 PM
How many organizations in total are there...??? UFC, WEC, etc.....

Which one do you think is the 'best'...??? Please explain why.....

Where do you see the sport of MMA in ten years...??? More fans/less fans, more quality fighters/less quality fighters, etc.....

Just curious what everyone else thinks.....:thumbsup

moels
01-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Too many organizations to count including the small independents.

The UFC is top dog right now, because of the airtime they have between Spike tv and PPV.

In ten years the fighters will have evolved to another level, just like they have the last 10 - 20 years.

T-Bag
01-27-2009, 05:34 PM
UFC will always be the top dog, its just like WWE will always be the top dog of wrestling.

In ten years I see the popularity of the sport dwindling down, its inevitable. Every sport has its highs and lows.

Yooformula
01-27-2009, 08:57 PM
agreed so many leagues nowadays with alot coming and going but the UFC made it really mainstream although Pride I think kept it afloat for awhile.

95 TA - The Beast
01-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Actually, once they get to a set of unified rules that EVERYONE accepts, there will be a huge rise in teh sport and most of the organizations will get a big boost due to cross-organization belt holding... That is really the only way ANY of them can even begin to compete with the UFC...

Ideally the UFC can offer bigger purses, thus attracting bigger fighters, but ideally many will 'find a home' with an organization and it eventually *should* lead to belts of only one class being held, regardless of the organization.

I mean really, the big thing holding some of that back right now is the UFC's absoloute greed, in that they only want thier fighters to fight thier fighters. They don't want to share ANYTHING, and thier 'elitism' may just end up causing them to be one of the last to adopt a 'unified' sport...

Yooformula
01-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Actually, once they get to a set of unified rules that EVERYONE accepts, there will be a huge rise in teh sport and most of the organizations will get a big boost due to cross-organization belt holding... That is really the only way ANY of them can even begin to compete with the UFC...

Ideally the UFC can offer bigger purses, thus attracting bigger fighters, but ideally many will 'find a home' with an organization and it eventually *should* lead to belts of only one class being held, regardless of the organization.

I mean really, the big thing holding some of that back right now is the UFC's absoloute greed, in that they only want thier fighters to fight thier fighters. They don't want to share ANYTHING, and thier 'elitism' may just end up causing them to be one of the last to adopt a 'unified' sport...

Damm! AGREED! I can see them losing more good fighters based on their payouts and favoritism showed to certain fighters.

Lash
01-27-2009, 09:03 PM

Agreed!

95 TA - The Beast
01-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Damm! AGREED! I can see them losing more good fighters based on their payouts and favoritism showed to certain fighters.

No doubt, as the whole Brock Lesner thing showed... He made more cash than ANY of the long-term fighters have, IN HIS FIRST FIGHT! I mean c'mon, when they pay a single fighter that much, it is PURE sensationalism...

Dana White even said he didn't care if it became a joke compared to WWE, as long as he sells out venues and PPVs he could care less if it is a bunch of midgets going at it with rubber swords... Now that kind of attitude is NOT good for the sport... :chair:

Lash
01-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Dana will be the one who brings the sport to it's highest peak......but he'll also be the one that ruins it.
Bottom line, he's a business man looking to makes tons of money first.....MMA fan second.

Car Guy
03-07-2009, 10:28 AM
I searched for a list like this last time and didn't find anything.....:durr

http://www.themmalist.com/search.php?mc=Organizations&subcat1=MMA%20Fight%20Organizations

Lash
03-07-2009, 11:13 AM
I searched for a list like this last time and didn't find anything.....:durr

http://www.themmalist.com/search.php?mc=Organizations&subcat1=MMA%20Fight%20Organizations

That's not even a recent list. A bunch of those organizations don't exist anymore.

Car Guy
03-07-2009, 12:33 PM
I realize that, are there any new ones that aren't on that list...???