PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant tricks to get cheaper prices

GRAMPS SS
01-26-2009, 06:38 PM
i found this on yahoo as Greg had pointed out i found my other tricks...so i this time copied the WHOLE THING for you to read....i will def be tying this the next few times i go out to est to see if they work...times are tight and i love to go out to eat...so if i can save some here and there...you know i will...we all must help out others where we can..so here is another way of saving....

Trying to trim your dining budget in 2009? Or maybe you just want to get more bang for your restaurant buck.

Try some of these strategies to eat well for less - or maybe even better.

Join frequent diner programs, especially if they're free. You can earn rebates or free meals, receive free entrees or desserts on certain occasions, and receive discounts and special offers that aren't available to nonmembers.

Sign up for restaurant e-mail lists. You may get coupons for free items or discounts, as well as notices of special events. If the e-mails aren't useful or become annoying, unsubscribe.

Clip coupons. They may be annoying, but they can make a difference. Check newspapers, direct-mail packets and restaurant Web sites, many of which have multiuse coupons.

Don't always settle for the cheapest restaurant. Instead, choose a better place and order one of the least expensive meals. It's possible to spend about the same amount for a much better experience.

Avoid the "up-sell." Don't let the charming waiter sell you extras you hadn't planned to order and don't really need.

Ask the price of specials before ordering them. Their prices might be in line with menu entrees - but don't bet on it.

Curtail or skip alcohol. Cocktails and wine are high-profit items for restaurants and can quickly become a big percentage of your dinner bill.

Watch other beverage prices, too. If you don't pay attention, you can pay $5 for bottled iced tea.

Go out for lunch instead of dinner, especially if you want to try a special-occasion place that's otherwise out of your price range.

To celebrate a special occasion on a budget, consider breakfast at a fancy hotel (think the Ritz-Carlton) instead of dinner at a mid-priced chain. For about the same price, you could have a memorable, luxurious meal.

Have an appetizer as your first course - and another as your entree.

Instead of taking home leftovers, share an entree with a friend. A split-plate charge will still cost you less than a full meal.

Check for special deals offered on typically slow nights; Tuesdays are prime times for discounts.

Look for kids-eat-free specials. Some are limited to certain days or hours, but the savings can be significant.

Dine at off-peak times. Happy-hour menus these days offer amazing bargains on food that goes well beyond sliders and bar snacks. You can find impressive late-night specials as well.

Grab a seat in the bar. Especially in upscale venues, the menu may be more casual and less expensive than the dining room menu. And it may be more fun.

Eat ethnic. Greek, Mexican, Korean, Polish, Ethiopian, Mediterranean and other ethnic restaurants offer great flavors and typically serve up lots of food for very little money.

Get takeout. You'll save the tip and the price of a beverage.

Decide how much you want to spend before you go - and stick to it. It might sound obvious, but it's an easy rule to forget when the dessert tray arrive

Al
01-27-2009, 02:59 AM
You are beginning to sound really old.

pOrk
01-27-2009, 10:32 AM
The best way to save money on dining is using restaurants.com You can get 25 and 50 dollar gift cards for 3-10 bucks at the end of the month. As the month progresses, the price comes down. I went out with my fiancee and 2 friends just last week, the 4 of us ate at cost of less then 25 bucks, tip included.

buttersgt350
01-27-2009, 07:04 PM
dine and ditch

Voodoo Chick
01-27-2009, 07:59 PM
I like cheap-ass restaurants, so I never spend much anyway.

LIZMO
01-27-2009, 08:57 PM
my way of saving money is just not going as much... but that only works sometimes lol

RanJer
01-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Email the company owner about them not delivering to your house, he'll write back telling you to tell the company it's ok, and give you a $10 coupon. Then when you order it, you make Liz deliver it.. lol

1320PNY
01-27-2009, 09:10 PM
I just go where the food is good, order what I want, tip well. If I run out of dough, I stay home the rest of the week. Life's too short.

Voodoo Chick
01-27-2009, 09:40 PM
I just go where the food is good, order what I want, tip well. If I run out of dough, I stay home the rest of the week. Life's too short.

I think that is probably the best way to look at it, actually.