PDA

View Full Version : Wireless network help needed

Rocket Power
01-25-2009, 10:26 PM
I ended up having to wipe out the hard drive since I couldnt get rid of this virus deal that keep opening webpages even if the browser was closed:fire

So I have been in the process of re doing everything and I am trying to get my wireless card to work with no luck. I have a netgear card and router, and the closest I can get it to working is that it connects to the network but says it "acquiring network address" and just keeps doing that. I am on my wife's laptop now so I know the router and modem are fine.
I am running XP if that makes a diff, but this is irritating the crap outta me.

I have tried it in different slot and tried the disc that came with it and the update driver off their site, which I burned to a cd with this computer.

I need the BCM computer dudes to help me out:thumbsup

TurboAWD2.0
01-26-2009, 12:42 AM
Since this is a clean install, did all of the devices in Device Manager get installed properly? As in, are there any ! or ? showing up? I don't know how much you know about computers; sorry if this is trivial.

badass88gt
01-26-2009, 01:02 AM
Myles will probably tell you to kill yourself when he sees this, but what I had to do was unplug the router and reboot it. For some reason my router dropped the wired connection, but the wireless still worked.

Rocket Power
01-26-2009, 06:25 AM
Myles will probably tell you to kill yourself when he sees this, but what I had to do was unplug the router and reboot it. For some reason my router dropped the wired connection, but the wireless still worked.
Myles already kills me all the time:rolf
I have rebooted the router and modem multiple times

Myles
01-26-2009, 06:55 AM
Does it acquire a address when plugged into the router

Rocket Power
01-26-2009, 09:54 AM
I haven't plugged it directly into the router yet because it's in a different room and it's a desktop and my lazy ass didn't want to haul it down there. But that'll work I'll do it.

Myles
01-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Im just trying to figure out if its isolated to the wireless only.

Rocket Power
01-26-2009, 11:53 AM
The wireless itself seems fine as I can use my wifes laptop on it, as I am right now. But it won't find an Ip address by itself, I can manually enter one and it says it's connected but it really isn't since I can't get internet and I can with the wireless laptop right next to it. I can't play combat arms till it's fixed (although maybe no one will help me now with that info, so I don't drag down their team:rolf)

deuceWI
01-26-2009, 12:36 PM
I have a box of cat5 I can borrow to you.

Myles
01-26-2009, 01:11 PM
The wireless itself seems fine as I can use my wifes laptop on it, as I am right now. But it won't find an Ip address by itself, I can manually enter one and it says it's connected but it really isn't since I can't get internet and I can with the wireless laptop right next to it. I can't play combat arms till it's fixed (although maybe no one will help me now with that info, so I don't drag down their team:rolf)

No i meant to see if we can isolate the issues on your PC, i want to know if your computer can get an IP through the wired network also, cause if it can then its a wireless issue on that pc, instead of a system wide issue.

Rocket Power
01-26-2009, 08:42 PM
I'll give it a try

Rocket Power
01-26-2009, 09:21 PM
WOrks when I connect it directly to router via cat5. I am typing this from the problem comp right now. If I can't get the wireless to work I guess I will have to move the router and modem to the computer room, my daughter floor doesn't make for comfortable computer use:rolf

Rocket Power
01-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Still no workie. Tried multiple pci ports, tried both windows running it and the netgear software in 3 different versions. The closest I 've gotten is it scans, finds it, and drops it right away, never gets an IP address, it's supposed to auto acquire one. I am just about ready to give up. and it pisses me off since it worked before for the last couple years.

Myles
01-27-2009, 10:18 PM
its late now, but ill brew up some things to try and send you a PM rocket sometime tomorrow

deuceWI
01-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Bad drivers? Most manufacturers suck when it comes to driver and firmware updates. Are you using the latest driver from the manufacturer's website or the original from the CD that came with it?

I've noticed the latest ones from the manufacturer may not always be the best.

We use some Dell laptops with Intel Wifi at work, and I can never get the junk from Dell's website to work. Getting drivers direct from Intel work much much better, and even the old drivers bundled on the Dell CDs work, but the junk they have online gives me headaches so I don't even bother with that anymore.

Rocket Power
01-28-2009, 10:00 AM
I used the orig disc and each version up to the latest and also got rid of them and tried to just let windows try. I also got rid of each version before trying the next.

Rocket Power
01-28-2009, 10:01 AM
its late now, but ill brew up some things to try and send you a PM rocket sometime tomorrowCool :thumbsup