PDA

View Full Version : 99 silverado Batt problem. AGAIN

Korndogg
01-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Ok I'm really getting fed up with this thing. I have had what I thought was a parasitic draw for about 2 years now because I have gone through 3 batteries in that time. Well a month and a half ago I finally got fed up and too it to a shop because I could not find the draw. Well they couldn't find a draw either. They checked the mA's to the fuse block and they said it was normal. They checked my subs and said they weren't drawing anything. So they said it was the battery. I didn't believe them at first but it fixed it for about a month, until a couple weeks ago when I didnt drive it for a couple days and now again every morning and after 8 hours at work I have to jump it with my jump pack in order to get it going. I don't know what else to do since they said they couldn't find a draw at all.

BAD LS1
01-25-2009, 06:59 PM
lol my monte does similar stuff... had one battery replaced under warranty because it couldnt sit a week w/o being stone dead then got worse and worse till it couldnt sit over night w.o being dead. the batt replacement fixed for a year. then out of the blue a year later it starts acting up doing the same exact shit. i put an optima in it this time so ill have to wait it out and see what happens. so far so good.

all late model stuff has some draw to keep the memory in the pcm,bcm, and radio alive... the monte draws 2 amps sitting static and that is considered normal, which i question.

i guess fwiw, batterys can be shitty and do this i had 2 new delco ones fail now.

Korndogg
01-25-2009, 07:02 PM
ok but im on my 4th battery and it only takes a month or two before i have to start jumpstarting it again. There HAS to be something else going on. And I'm on a Delco one now too.

BAD LS1
01-25-2009, 07:08 PM
yeah dude something is fubared, it has to show up if it goes away that quick, i cant comprehend it not showing up on an amp clamp and it can kill it so face w/o a trace of evidence. maybe check it at different intervals through out the time it takes to kill it to see if its something time induced... im sure im preaching to choir now.

UnderPSI
01-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Take it to Kastner Auto Electric in Waukesha. They are by Sams Club. I had the same problem with my first car. Everywhere I took it they said it was fine. Kastner actually knew what was going on and fixed the problem

Korndogg
01-25-2009, 07:51 PM
ok thanks. Ill have to see if i can make it out that way sometime soon.

1320PNY
01-25-2009, 08:01 PM
I had a GM and it had an issue like this. I took out the fuse that said "Belt" and it went away. I have no idea what the fuse was for and it never seemed to show up anywhere else.

Korndogg
02-02-2009, 10:46 AM
well im taking it to Kaestner auto sometime today so we'll see what happens.

wrath
02-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Are you sure it's not the alternator?

Korndogg
02-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Well, I took it there and they said there was a 438mA draw and the pass side lumbar switch was bad which was causing the lumbar motor to stay turned on. So we'll see tomorrow morning if it starts haha. I just told them to leave it in there disconnected and I'll replace it myself.

Thanks for referring me to them!

PonyKiller87
02-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Damn, they must have a really nice DC amp probe to get readings like that. Sure would make it easy to trace a problem like that.

brotherbenn83
02-03-2009, 10:10 PM
All you need is a draw tester and an ammeter. Once you see there is a draw, you start pulling fuses until you find the root cause. I talked to you about this issue on your truck quite some time ago, and you never got back to me, I could have had you fixed up a year ago.

brotherbenn83
02-03-2009, 10:12 PM
lol my monte does similar stuff... had one battery replaced under warranty because it couldnt sit a week w/o being stone dead then got worse and worse till it couldnt sit over night w.o being dead. the batt replacement fixed for a year. then out of the blue a year later it starts acting up doing the same exact shit. i put an optima in it this time so ill have to wait it out and see what happens. so far so good.

all late model stuff has some draw to keep the memory in the pcm,bcm, and radio alive... the monte draws 2 amps sitting static and that is considered normal, which i question.

i guess fwiw, batterys can be shitty and do this i had 2 new delco ones fail now.

2 amps is WAY too high. The max allowable by "GM spec" is supposed to be 1/4 of the reserve capacity in milliamps. 180 R.C. 45mA max draw. You have to let these new cars sit for 30-60 minutes before everything powers completely down in order to get the most accurate readings.

Korndogg
02-03-2009, 10:16 PM
I actually tried getting back to you but didn't get a response back. And I did the fuse pull trick and I couldn't find the problem. Its been 2 years and I just wanted to know what it was so I took it in.

BAD LS1
02-04-2009, 06:55 AM
2 amps is WAY too high. The max allowable by "GM spec" is supposed to be 1/4 of the reserve capacity in milliamps. 180 R.C. 45mA max draw. You have to let these new cars sit for 30-60 minutes before everything powers completely down in order to get the most accurate readings.

That makes sence. i tested it pretty much right after it was shut off... oops!

juicedimpss
02-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Well, I took it there and they said there was a 438mA draw and the pass side lumbar switch was bad which was causing the lumbar motor to stay turned on. So we'll see tomorrow morning if it starts haha. I just told them to leave it in there disconnected and I'll replace it myself.

Thanks for referring me to them!

so you made them go through all the trouble of finding the problem and didnt let them fix it?
:chair:

DirtyMax
02-04-2009, 09:21 AM
I'm sure they charged him for the diagnostic. They probably got paid for the time and work they did. Saved them the trouble of tying up their bay while they waited for the parts and probably allowed them to move on to something else. Who the hell wants to **** around replacing a power seat switch anyways, LOL.

Korndogg
02-04-2009, 04:25 PM
dude ron.....i already gave them $195 just to find the draw. They wanted another $150 just to replace the switch lol. I can get the switch for half of what they wanted online.

Either way. Yes its kind of pricey but they found out what it was really fast when other people including myself could not find it so I would suggest them. I had other shops tell me there was nothing wrong with it.

lilws6
02-06-2009, 01:14 PM
so did it start?

Korndogg
02-06-2009, 01:14 PM
yep!