PDA

View Full Version : ak-47 questions

That_Guy
01-24-2009, 03:04 PM
im thinking about picking up an ak-47 for my girlfriend or some other sorta cheap assault rifle. she really likes to shoot and im thinking it would be a pretty decent birthday gift for here in march. i figure id pick up either a ak or an sks for her, or some other cheaper mod-able rifle. ill clean it up and put a synthetic stock "probaly a tapco stock" i know she is probaly going to be getting a place her senior year up in green bay with her girlfriend and frankly id think it would be smart for atleast one of them to have a means of defense from an intruder. id rather her have the advantage.:thumbsup " she can shoot strait" lol

so when looking for an ak what should i look for to make sure its in good shape. also is there some sorta ak clone? out there. i saw adds in dunhams for rifles that looked like an ak or are some other type of ak like a wasr 10 wasr nib

That_Guy
01-24-2009, 04:32 PM
anybody

Rocket Power
01-24-2009, 07:04 PM
I've seen dunhams sell WASR's, and Yugo Ak's. They have both single stack and regular versions of the WASR. I bought the single stack for like $230 a couple years ago and converted it. With a dremel you can open up the magwell like Century does (they are imported as single stacks) and add the required # of US parts to be legal with 922r. Or you can buy the double stack and it'll already be legal.

My Wasr has never had a FTF with FMJ or HP's I've used both black box and Military Classic wolf through it.

The only issues I've heard about with WASR's are some have canted sights. Mine didn't but it's something to watch for.
Some talk bad about the WASR because it's cheaper, but it does the job just fine and it's an AK not a flippin PSG1 so I don't know why people try to get all high brow about it. :goof

That_Guy
01-24-2009, 07:21 PM
I've seen dunhams sell WASR's, and Yugo Ak's. They have both single stack and regular versions of the WASR. I bought the single stack for like $230 a couple years ago and converted it. With a dremel you can open up the magwell like Century does (they are imported as single stacks) and add the required # of US parts to be legal with 922r. Or you can buy the double stack and it'll already be legal.

My Wasr has never had a FTF with FMJ or HP's I've used both black box and Military Classic wolf through it.

The only issues I've heard about with WASR's are some have canted sights. Mine didn't but it's something to watch for.
Some talk bad about the WASR because it's cheaper, but it does the job just fine and it's an AK not a flippin PSG1 so I don't know why people try to get all high brow about it. :goof

ic.. i figure i would put a smaller scope on it and just have it set up for close range shooting something for her that will be racked stacked and ready to go just incase. she has 2 shotguns but i want to get her, her first rifle something cheap and fun to shoot. she already has stated that she doesnt want a .22 long

Rocket Power
01-24-2009, 07:35 PM
I'd say go for the WASR then they already have that russian side mount on it, and you can find a mount for that for like $30. If you go for the single stack and are gonna keep it that way I think I have a mag you can have.

Breecher_7
01-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Get her a AR15 you cheap bitch....... Dont get her some junk.

That_Guy
01-24-2009, 08:38 PM
Get her a AR15 you cheap bitch....... Dont get her some junk.

see she knows im building an ar-15 all i need to do is order the upper... she has said she "cant wait to shoot it" i believe that is a hint. if i end up giving it to her im just going to get a 12" barrel upper because of it being smaller.
i was thinking about a pistol but she specificaly stated she wanted a rifle multiple times. i know it would be even more of a bigdeal if she ended up getting "my" rifle. i dont know so many choices

i think it would be a decent 21st gift for her.

Rocket Power
01-24-2009, 08:44 PM
if i end up giving it to her im just going to get a 12" barrel upper because of it being smaller.
Don't forget your stamp, $200 now or $10k later (plus a bunghole enlargement:rolf)But I think she would have to get the stamp,because she would be in possession of it, to lazy to look in my ATF book now:goof

MurphysLaw88GT
01-24-2009, 08:58 PM

I was given a WASR once for free,still got it today. its the bitch AK. It is the typical WASR with a canted FSB (like a few degrees off), groups decent for what it is (2.5MOA at 100yards). they were not designed with a double-stack (ban era) magwell, but CAI dremeled out the magwell to accommodate standard AK 7.62 mags. But, it runs like a muhfawkin champ...eats anything I load in it. I cant beat the price I paid for it. However, with todays prices, this quality (in my opinion) is not acceptable for the $ you will pay for an example unless it is flawless in fit, finish and function (they will all run badass). The AKs that I have built from kits are all LIGHTYEARS ahead of any WASR in fit/finish with relative similarities in cost.

I say, if you are purchasing an AK to have for a long time...get what you want and do it right the first time. (like all those people who bought an SKS wishing it was an AK for some reason). I say buy a (now) 300-400$ Romanian parts kit, a 55$ NDS-3 receiver, and about 50$ in 922R compliance parts and you have something way nicer than a WASR-10 and you have the pride of making it yourself for a similar price. or pay a builder 100-150 to assemble for you. If YOU want an AK to have...do it now. It will be X3 expensive soon.
As for an off-the-shelf AK that is awesome, consider the Yugoslavian M70 (AB1 Fixed/AB2 Under-folding Stock) series. Built like absolute tanks (on a bulged RPK trunnion for most), and I promise they will have outstanding resale value down the road esp. with Teak furniture. The M70s with their original barrels DO NOT have chromium-lined bores unlike all the other AK-series, but that to me is not a significant draw-back.Some Century built M70s are constructed with NDS receivers which is the Cadillac of stamped AK series receivers. Or a Tantal in 5.45x39mm, but unless you have a boatload of 5.45x39mm don't bother, its a bitch to find unless bought 2160 rounds at a time..cheap though.

If this is for your/her defense. Dont. 00Buck is best, and avoiding over-penetration when others may be on the other side of a wall is a good thing.

STANMAN
01-24-2009, 09:49 PM
If you can find an SAR-1 for cheap, that's the way I would go. There used to be a ton of them 5-8 years ago, but I haven't seen them much anymore. They used to be a little more expensive than the WASR's, but without all the hassles.

MurphysLaw88GT
01-24-2009, 09:52 PM
SAR-1 is another great "economy" AK... but seemingly no AK is economy anymore

That_Guy
01-24-2009, 10:43 PM
If you can find an SAR-1 for cheap, that's the way I would go. There used to be a ton of them 5-8 years ago, but I haven't seen them much anymore. They used to be a little more expensive than the WASR's, but without all the hassles.

i saw a few sar-1's on gun broker and was starting to look into them.

HITMAN
01-25-2009, 12:17 AM
This is interesting considering I just bought a Rom WASR over last weekend at the Waukesha gun show. Fascinating rifle design. Elegant simplicity in stamped steel...The kit that came with it also put a smile on my face. I couldn't believe it when the guy kept putting all of this crap in the box, especially when I saw the bayonet/scabbard go in...:thumbsup

I know I could have gotten it cheaper through one of the Shotgun News dealers, but I'd rather give a local dealer some business and establish a rapport with them for future purchases while avoiding the whole "shipping a firearm" hassle. Final price was $620 with 2 extra 30rd mags, (it came with 2) tax included. Pretty damned impressive when you compare what you get, price wise, to something like a Colt Python. Don't get me wrong, a Python is pure sex when it comes to revolvers, but it it sure ain't no deal...

USMARINE1108
01-25-2009, 02:33 AM
Get her a Yugo SKS and leave it as it left the factory. They are great rifles, and a much better deal then what AKs are going for right now. Save the high speed/low drag tacti-cool stuff for your AR build.

That_Guy
01-25-2009, 09:13 AM

i saw a few sar-1's on gun broker and was starting to look into them.

STANMAN
01-25-2009, 11:58 AM
SAR-1 is another great "economy" AK... but seemingly no AK is economy anymore

Isn't that the truth? I just sold a MAK-90 for $500, and the guy thought I was giving him a deal, and he was right, because although I bought it for ALOT less, now I bet you can't touch one at a dealer for under $600.

73Dustr
01-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Get her a Yugo SKS and leave it as it left the factory. They are great rifles, and a much better deal then what AKs are going for right now. Save the high speed/low drag tacti-cool stuff for your AR build.

Agreed. They aren't bad guns for plinking. They certainly aren't the most accurate rifles, but they're fun. I have not had any issues with mine at all. You can still to some modding if you want. I dressed mine up a bit:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e115/Daskill77/101_1457.jpg

That_Guy
01-25-2009, 03:57 PM

thats funny you say that over the last 6 months ive been given 2 sks's one of them being a Chinese paratrooper model.. "this leaves me with 3 of them.. one yugo,chinese,and the para" i might just throw a decent stock on it and give it to her.. ill keep the factory stock "very stout" so i can return it back to factory some day. i was thinking that an ak would be a good choice because of not having to use stripper clips to load and easier clip loading in "no duckbill" as far as aftermarket clips go. her uncle has a g3 that i wanted to buy but he doesnt want to sell it. if he decided to sell it then i would give her the ar-15 to keep up there.

so many choices